First Vehicle. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > First Vehicle.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 09-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
AlphaWhiskey
1996 XJ Cherokee 

First Vehicle.

I am 16 years old and I have purchased my first vehicle: A 1996 Cherokee Classic

The Good:

3" lift
Ion Alloy Wheels
runs good
aftermarket radio
Dana w/Posi

The bad:

Rust
rear hatch is damaged beyond repair
more rust
rattles

However we did get a parts '95 base 2.5 5speed with a straight rust free body.

Me and my father and seriously thinking about stripping the white one and using the good parts on the green one to do a restomod.

AlphaWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

I would swap everything good to the white one and I wouldn't even consider swapping anything to the green one as bad as the rot is. If the rot is that bad on the roof I'm guessing it's pretty damn awful at least in the floor pans if not in the rockers and even the frame rails.
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

The green one looks nice, to bad it has cancer.

Like MC said, swap everything over to the white one. You will never get that rust under control on the green one.

Welcome to the club.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I would swap everything good to the white one and I wouldn't even consider swapping anything to the green one as bad as the rot is. If the rot is that bad on the roof I'm guessing it's pretty damn awful at least in the floor pans if not in the rockers and even the frame rails.
Agreed. That green one looks like a goner.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
everynametakin
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking that the green one is a goner to and wondering how bad the headliner is.
everynametakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah junk the green one
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Amesbear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That green one looks sweet from 30 feet away! As much of a pain as it would be to gut them both and build one up with the best of everything, that's the best way to go for max life. Be sure to keep us up to date on this project. I'm curious about all of the hiccups you'll run into. Good luck.
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
everynametakin
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The white one being a 4 cylinder may have lower axle gears
Unread 09-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everynametakin View Post
The white one being a 4 cylinder may have lower axle gears
More than likely true. Chances are good the white one came stock with 4.10 gears. Possibly even had 4.56 gears.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buddy listen to all of us. Really need to consider turning the white jeep into your daily. Go ahead and drive the green one for now while you acumulate all the parts needed to make the white jeep your jeep. Go learn how to drive with the green one, beat it up and have some fun. With that must rust I wouldn't of even considered buying it. Sorry but the roof is a deal breaker. Think about what's under it, what you can't see. Fixing it properly would take a lot of time and money and still need a paint job. You could swap all the parts, build the white one and have it professionally painted to the same green Or whatever you want for the same time and money it would be to fix the green jeep. Sucks cause you probably paid more for the green one too. You could have built the white jeep with better parts or probably around same price the green one cost you.... good luck buddy
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
everynametakin
1988 XJ Cherokee 

We're not being down on you. Hey I paid 450 bucks for my 88 and I have more than that into parts and labor. I didn't realize when I bought it that my whole front steering was shot. Just build up the white one and look at the bright side. You'll know every inch of your vehicle.
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
AlphaWhiskey
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry about the wait guys. but Progress. Rust turned out to not be as bad as we were assuming. so I am currently in the midst of putting in new floor pans Pics:https://imgur.com/a/SdFLp However I still have to chase down oil leaks trans leaks and P/S leaks.
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
AlphaWhiskey
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
The green one looks nice, to bad it has cancer.

Like MC said, swap everything over to the white one. You will never get that rust under control on the green one.

Welcome to the club.
Thanks After Diving headfirst into the green one, I discovered that the rust wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Rails are solid trunk floor is solid its only the roof and front floor that has cancer. Which will be easy to fix with the new mig and tig we have

https://imgur.com/a/SdFLp

Last edited by AlphaWhiskey; 09-30-2014 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: pics
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
AlphaWhiskey
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecarder View Post
Buddy listen to all of us. Really need to consider turning the white jeep into your daily. Go ahead and drive the green one for now while you acumulate all the parts needed to make the white jeep your jeep. Go learn how to drive with the green one, beat it up and have some fun. With that must rust I wouldn't of even considered buying it. Sorry but the roof is a deal breaker. Think about what's under it, what you can't see. Fixing it properly would take a lot of time and money and still need a paint job. You could swap all the parts, build the white one and have it professionally painted to the same green Or whatever you want for the same time and money it would be to fix the green jeep. Sucks cause you probably paid more for the green one too. You could have built the white jeep with better parts or probably around same price the green one cost you.... good luck buddy

Thanks, The good news is we have everything needed to fix it in house Mig,Tig Plasma cutter, soda blaster, sheet metal,english wheel, Paint guns and access to a booth. Hell just this past week I have finished cutting out the floor cancer and ready to cut and weld in new floors. And

https://imgur.com/a/SdFLp

Tags
cherokee , first jeep , restoring , rust bucket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.