first time jeep owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > first time jeep owner

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
pipkns
1995 XJ Cherokee 

first time jeep owner

I am in the process of getting my first jeep. I have found a 1995 jeep Cherokee sport for $500. it needs a motor and tires. I want to use this as my daily driver so I am just going to replace the 4.0 motor with a rebuilt one. I would like to know the best size tire to use for daily use and occasional off roading. everything is stock on the jeep. any information would be greatly appreciated

pipkns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

What is wrong with the motor? If your replace everything on the motor, like harnesses and everything, make sure it's the HO 4.0 instead of the renix. Also stay away from the 00-01 for engines. Head cracking issues is to likely and they have coil packs, distributor is better. If is just the block any will work. Also don't try and swap a WJ or TJ motor in. It's a completely different block that requires some major mods to get it to all work.

For tires at stock height I would go with 235/75/15. Its the biggest tire size that you can fit at stock with no major issues. They are a tad bit bigger than the stock tire from the factory but work great on the XJ.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
pipkns
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The motor is knocking pretty bad. im not real sure what it is. not sure if im goimg to replace everything or just the engine. what is the difference in the HO and renix? thank you for all the information it has been very usefull.
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

RENIX (Renault/Bendix) is the fuel injection / engine management system used in XJ Cherokees prior to 1991 (87-90). A 95 would not be Renix to begin with and as long as you stick to 91-95 parts you should be fine (96 went to OBDII). Before you do anything with the engine, check the flex-plate, a loose or cracked flex-plate on a 4.0L I6 will sound almost exactly like a bad rod knock.

HO stands for High-Output but is basically meaningless since every 91 and newer 4.0L I6 is an HO. So they are only "High-Output" in comparison to older Renix engines and it isn't that big of a difference anyway.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
pipkns
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thank you muddy97cherokee and dmill89 for the information you have given me. it has all been very usefull. im sure that I will have many more questions as I dive into the world of jeeps
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
RENIX (Renault/Bendix) is the fuel injection / engine management system used in XJ Cherokees prior to 1991 (87-90). A 95 would not be Renix to begin with and as long as you stick to 91-95 parts you should be fine (96 went to OBDII). Before you do anything with the engine, check the flex-plate, a loose or cracked flex-plate on a 4.0L I6 will sound almost exactly like a bad rod knock.

HO stands for High-Output but is basically meaningless since every 91 and newer 4.0L I6 is an HO. So they are only "High-Output" in comparison to older Renix engines and it isn't that big of a difference anyway.
It stands for Highly Overrated actually.

Here's a nifty write-up with photos on checking those flexplate bolts.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/how...ocking-125547/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.