First mod on my new XJ - Sirius/CB mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > First mod on my new XJ - Sirius/CB mount

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
mizedog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

First mod on my new XJ - Sirius/CB mount

Hey all. Here's my first mod. I needed somewhere to mount my Sirius radio and the CB. There's not much out there that would do what I want so I made my own. I've still got room to add an indoor/outdoor thermometer under the Sirius. I'll be making a similar mount for the GPS that will go on the left side.

I'll be wiring the CB cord into the blank where the factory fog switch would go and the Sirius into the lighter plug wires. Then I'll make a Fitch VA box up top for 7 switches.
Oh, one more comment - Greatful Dead just came on this channel - not my fav. I'm usually a Boneyard/Bluesville guy.

Last edited by mizedog; 02-11-2009 at 09:31 AM..
mizedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice to see another guy with the Sirius, I just put mine in after Christmas. It beats the hell out of regular radio (just as long as i keep getting subscription cards for every holiday i should be set so i dont have to pay for it).
MN Jeeper #18
norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
wellze
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sirius radio mount

I put my Stratus Sirius receiver on the left side of the stereo. It unit came with a mounting disk and an adjustable arm. I sent a couple of small screw through the hard plastic. Very solid and easy to control unit. Looks like you use the power plug also I got tired of all the wires hanging around. I bought the hard wire kit it make stuff look real neat. Sorry no pics but if you have the mounting plate with arm you will see . Good luck
wellze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a good way to get a Sirius radio in your head if the airbag goes off.

Might I suggest mounting it up high with a suction cup mount?

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
mizedog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellze View Post
I put my Stratus Sirius receiver on the left side of the stereo. It unit came with a mounting disk and an adjustable arm. I sent a couple of small screw through the hard plastic. Very solid and easy to control unit. Looks like you use the power plug also I got tired of all the wires hanging around. I bought the hard wire kit it make stuff look real neat. Sorry no pics but if you have the mounting plate with arm you will see . Good luck
I ran a suction cup mount for a couple of years in my old commuter. But, I'm trying to avoid the arm-style mount in the Cherokee. I'm tired of things sticking out all over the place (gps, Sirius). Plus, I'm trying to avoid drilling wholes in the dash since I never know when I'll upgrade to another gps or Sirius radio and don't want wholes left over. Oh, I will be hardwiring both the gps and the Sirius. Thanks.
Unread 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
mizedog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadetklapp View Post
Looks like a good way to get a Sirius radio in your head if the airbag goes off.

Might I suggest mounting it up high with a suction cup mount?
Point well taken. But, it's not much different from the Bracketron piece (and a fraction of the cost). I kept mine rounded to lessen the chance of cutting the airbag during deployment. Besides, a suction cup would fail during an accident and fly all over as well.

This may be temporary. I've considered a Sirius-ready stereo but I love the way the current radio has the favorite artists stored.
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
az357mag
1996 XJ Cherokee 

grateful dead =
-Justin- NIGHTCREW #055
"Cherry" 1996 XJ 4.0 i-six, 3" pro comp lift, 31" Bridgestone A/T on TJ alloys, Wilderness roof rack, K&N intake, Poweraid throttle spacer, MSD ignition, Flowmaster exhaust, BAJA lights and KC daylighters

build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1996-xj-653391/
az357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Billet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Enjoy sirius while it lasts. It was listed on the Yahho main page as one of the ten major companies that isnt expected to make it through 2009....sorry for bringing tithings of great bummerness
Unread 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Suction cup mounts are illegal in MN (stated in the manual), but yet they sell them here..

If it goes under, oh well. It's cool, but nothing I wouldn't miss if I didn't have it.
MN Jeeper #18
norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
mason_msw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While there are rumors that they are preparing to file for bankruptcy no subscriptions will be affected as they are filing a Chapter 11 if they do file. So regardless it should be nothing to worry about at least for some considerable amount of time.
mason_msw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Only thing good about the Sirius is the Rawdog comedy station. Most of the other stations suck and play crap.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
mason_msw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would have to disagree they play some great indie music on quite a few stations.
mason_msw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Wreckless_71

Rancid Radio man!!! I'm a punker
nightcrew #123
Wreckless_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
jccJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

+1 for GD..
Unread 03-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
van_wilder
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccJeep View Post
+1 for GD..
Quote:
Originally Posted by az357mag
grateful dead =
werd!!

oh my sirius doesnt leave channel 32...
van_wilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.