First Jeep, few issues....... - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
PatriotUSMC
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 293
First Jeep, few issues.......

Hi guys, first off thanks for having a great forum. Been lurking for awhile researching the XJ so I could find a decent one! Which lights are supposed to turn on while the doors are open? All I have is darkness. Nothing turns on with the doors open. The two map lights (?) up front work if I hit the switch just behind them. The map lights in the rear seat don't work (haven't checked the bulbs), rear cargo light bulb is missing so obviously doesn't work. Which lights are supposed to turn on with the doors open? Why wouldn't mine work? The door locks are very stiff and don't lock or unlock fully with the power lock switch. Switch works, the buttons move but not enough to engage or disengage the locks. Ideas? Thanks guys!

My "new" '92 XJ!



PatriotUSMC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM
moses21
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: hamburg
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
Hi guys, first off thanks for having a great forum. Been lurking for awhile researching the XJ so I could find a decent one! Which lights are supposed to turn on while the doors are open? All I have is darkness. Nothing turns on with the doors open. The two map lights (?) up front work if I hit the switch just behind them. The map lights in the rear seat don't work (haven't checked the bulbs), rear cargo light bulb is missing so obviously doesn't work. Which lights are supposed to turn on with the doors open? Why wouldn't mine work? The door locks are very stiff and don't lock or unlock fully with the power lock switch. Switch works, the buttons move but not enough to engage or disengage the locks. Ideas? Thanks guys!

My "new" '92 XJ!
Thevlock thing happened to me. I pulled the door trim off and there is a metal rod for your lock and mine was bent not alowing the power locks to work. I just strainted it out and it was all goos.
moses21 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 PM
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 856
It could be the actuator rod(s) bend as moses21 stated or simply that the lock mechanism needs lubrication. Mine had this issue on the rear driver-side door and I hit lock/latch mechanism and the manual lock button/switch with some liquid wrench white-grease in a can and it has worked fine ever sense. To fully lube the mechanism you must remove the panel and lube from behind and the manual lock switch can only be lubed effectively from behind.

Removing door panels is easy just pull the arm-rest (2 screws) and then remove the screws from the lock/pwr window bezel, (if you have crank windows you will also need to remove the cranks), and pull out on the bottom and sides to release the plastic clips, then pull the lip on the top of the panel out of the slot in the window trim/weather-stripping).

As for the lights, they should all come on, check the bulbs and fuses.
dmill89 is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
PatriotUSMC
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 293
Ok thanks a lot guys! Should there be a door buzzer or something while the door is open? No noise at all when my doors are open. I don't necessarily want the noise but not sure if this is tied into the lights somehow. Thanks again!!
PatriotUSMC is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
Ok thanks a lot guys! Should there be a door buzzer or something while the door is open? No noise at all when my doors are open. I don't necessarily want the noise but not sure if this is tied into the lights somehow. Thanks again!!
The buzzer should only go off if the keys are in the ignition or the headlights are left on when the door is open. If it does not activate under these circumstances check the door jamb switches (affect both buzzer and dome lights) and the buzzer module itself (located in the interior fuse box in driver-side foot well).
dmill89 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
PatriotUSMC
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
The buzzer should only go off if the keys are in the ignition or the headlights are left on when the door is open. If it does not activate under these circumstances check the door jamb switches (affect both buzzer and dome lights) and the buzzer module itself (located in the interior fuse box in driver-side foot well).
Ok great thanks!
PatriotUSMC is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine
Posts: 3,174
Heh, if you've never heard the Jeep Cherokee buzzers (one for doors/lights, and other for "wear your seatbelt" after ignition--maybe depends on year for this one), then consider yourself lucky.

Only the front and rear dome lights should come on with open doors. The map lights shouldn't. Also: REAR map lights? Yet another thing Chrysler must have gutted from the awesomeness of the older XJ's during the mid 90's.
mschi772 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
PatriotUSMC
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Heh, if you've never heard the Jeep Cherokee buzzers (one for doors/lights, and other for "wear your seatbelt" after ignition--maybe depends on year for this one), then consider yourself lucky.

Only the front and rear dome lights should come on with open doors. The map lights shouldn't. Also: REAR map lights? Yet another thing Chrysler must have gutted from the awesomeness of the older XJ's during the mid 90's.
Lol! Yeah there isn't a "dome" style light up front. Just 2 map lights up front and 2 in the back, then a "dome" in the cargo area.
PatriotUSMC is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 AM
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Only the front and rear dome lights should come on with open doors. The map lights shouldn't. Also: REAR map lights? Yet another thing Chrysler must have gutted from the awesomeness of the older XJ's during the mid 90's.
Ok, Sorry for the misinformation on all lights comming on. Mine only has dome lights so they all come on. I have a blockout plate (looks factory) where the map lights should be so I guess they were either an option on the 95 sport that was not selected on mine or the previous owner removed them for some reason.
dmill89 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,547
Your 92 won't have a door buzzer, don't think XJs got them til 93. I've owned 4 and none of them have had it and my 92 is the oldest.
Start with the fuses, then check to see if the door switches are jammed in place keeping the lights off when the doors are open.



If it's jammed just replace it, they're cheap and screw right out and back in. I can grab a pic off mine if you like since it's jammed in. I have my doors off most the year so I never bothered replacing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine
Posts: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Ok, Sorry for the misinformation on all lights comming on. Mine only has dome lights so they all come on. I have a blockout plate (looks factory) where the map lights should be so I guess they were either an option on the 95 sport that was not selected on mine or the previous owner removed them for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
Lol! Yeah there isn't a "dome" style light up front. Just 2 map lights up front and 2 in the back, then a "dome" in the cargo area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Your 92 won't have a door buzzer, don't think XJs got them til 93. I've owned 4 and none of them have had it and my 92 is the oldest.
Learnin' new stuff all the time. Woo-hoo! As much as I act like I detest the buzzers, I'd never disconnect them. They make-up for how horrible they are by annoying my passengers even more; I love torturing people
mschi772 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
PatriotUSMC
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Your 92 won't have a door buzzer, don't think XJs got them til 93. I've owned 4 and none of them have had it and my 92 is the oldest.
Start with the fuses, then check to see if the door switches are jammed in place keeping the lights off when the doors are open.



If it's jammed just replace it, they're cheap and screw right out and back in. I can grab a pic off mine if you like since it's jammed in. I have my doors off most the year so I never bothered replacing it.
Great info, thanks a ton!! If it looks like this then I can probably find it. Hopefully get a minute tomorrow to check it out.
PatriotUSMC is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,547
It sits on the front side of the door jamb right in the middle plain as day.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
PatriotUSMC
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 293
Great thanks a ton! The driver's buzzer is broken off or something. It is sitting flush with the jam nut on the door sill. The others look normal. Where do you guys go to buy parts like this?
PatriotUSMC is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
Great thanks a ton! The driver's buzzer is broken off or something. It is sitting flush with the jam nut on the door sill. The others look normal. Where do you guys go to buy parts like this?
Theyre universal, any parts store will have em.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome