First Jeep, few issues....... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > First Jeep, few issues.......

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 12-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

First Jeep, few issues.......

Hi guys, first off thanks for having a great forum. Been lurking for awhile researching the XJ so I could find a decent one! Which lights are supposed to turn on while the doors are open? All I have is darkness. Nothing turns on with the doors open. The two map lights (?) up front work if I hit the switch just behind them. The map lights in the rear seat don't work (haven't checked the bulbs), rear cargo light bulb is missing so obviously doesn't work. Which lights are supposed to turn on with the doors open? Why wouldn't mine work? The door locks are very stiff and don't lock or unlock fully with the power lock switch. Switch works, the buttons move but not enough to engage or disengage the locks. Ideas? Thanks guys!

My "new" '92 XJ!

PatriotUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
Hi guys, first off thanks for having a great forum. Been lurking for awhile researching the XJ so I could find a decent one! Which lights are supposed to turn on while the doors are open? All I have is darkness. Nothing turns on with the doors open. The two map lights (?) up front work if I hit the switch just behind them. The map lights in the rear seat don't work (haven't checked the bulbs), rear cargo light bulb is missing so obviously doesn't work. Which lights are supposed to turn on with the doors open? Why wouldn't mine work? The door locks are very stiff and don't lock or unlock fully with the power lock switch. Switch works, the buttons move but not enough to engage or disengage the locks. Ideas? Thanks guys!

My "new" '92 XJ!
Thevlock thing happened to me. I pulled the door trim off and there is a metal rod for your lock and mine was bent not alowing the power locks to work. I just strainted it out and it was all goos.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It could be the actuator rod(s) bend as moses21 stated or simply that the lock mechanism needs lubrication. Mine had this issue on the rear driver-side door and I hit lock/latch mechanism and the manual lock button/switch with some liquid wrench white-grease in a can and it has worked fine ever sense. To fully lube the mechanism you must remove the panel and lube from behind and the manual lock switch can only be lubed effectively from behind.

Removing door panels is easy just pull the arm-rest (2 screws) and then remove the screws from the lock/pwr window bezel, (if you have crank windows you will also need to remove the cranks), and pull out on the bottom and sides to release the plastic clips, then pull the lip on the top of the panel out of the slot in the window trim/weather-stripping).

As for the lights, they should all come on, check the bulbs and fuses.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Ok thanks a lot guys! Should there be a door buzzer or something while the door is open? No noise at all when my doors are open. I don't necessarily want the noise but not sure if this is tied into the lights somehow. Thanks again!!
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ok thanks a lot guys! Should there be a door buzzer or something while the door is open? No noise at all when my doors are open. I don't necessarily want the noise but not sure if this is tied into the lights somehow. Thanks again!!
The buzzer should only go off if the keys are in the ignition or the headlights are left on when the door is open. If it does not activate under these circumstances check the door jamb switches (affect both buzzer and dome lights) and the buzzer module itself (located in the interior fuse box in driver-side foot well).
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
The buzzer should only go off if the keys are in the ignition or the headlights are left on when the door is open. If it does not activate under these circumstances check the door jamb switches (affect both buzzer and dome lights) and the buzzer module itself (located in the interior fuse box in driver-side foot well).
Ok great thanks!
Unread 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Heh, if you've never heard the Jeep Cherokee buzzers (one for doors/lights, and other for "wear your seatbelt" after ignition--maybe depends on year for this one), then consider yourself lucky.

Only the front and rear dome lights should come on with open doors. The map lights shouldn't. Also: REAR map lights? Yet another thing Chrysler must have gutted from the awesomeness of the older XJ's during the mid 90's.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Heh, if you've never heard the Jeep Cherokee buzzers (one for doors/lights, and other for "wear your seatbelt" after ignition--maybe depends on year for this one), then consider yourself lucky.

Only the front and rear dome lights should come on with open doors. The map lights shouldn't. Also: REAR map lights? Yet another thing Chrysler must have gutted from the awesomeness of the older XJ's during the mid 90's.
Lol! Yeah there isn't a "dome" style light up front. Just 2 map lights up front and 2 in the back, then a "dome" in the cargo area.
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Ok, Sorry for the misinformation on all lights comming on. Mine only has dome lights so they all come on. I have a blockout plate (looks factory) where the map lights should be so I guess they were either an option on the 95 sport that was not selected on mine or the previous owner removed them for some reason.
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Your 92 won't have a door buzzer, don't think XJs got them til 93. I've owned 4 and none of them have had it and my 92 is the oldest.
Start with the fuses, then check to see if the door switches are jammed in place keeping the lights off when the doors are open.

If it's jammed just replace it, they're cheap and screw right out and back in. I can grab a pic off mine if you like since it's jammed in. I have my doors off most the year so I never bothered replacing it.
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Ok, Sorry for the misinformation on all lights comming on. Mine only has dome lights so they all come on. I have a blockout plate (looks factory) where the map lights should be so I guess they were either an option on the 95 sport that was not selected on mine or the previous owner removed them for some reason.
Quote:
Lol! Yeah there isn't a "dome" style light up front. Just 2 map lights up front and 2 in the back, then a "dome" in the cargo area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Your 92 won't have a door buzzer, don't think XJs got them til 93. I've owned 4 and none of them have had it and my 92 is the oldest.
Learnin' new stuff all the time. Woo-hoo! As much as I act like I detest the buzzers, I'd never disconnect them. They make-up for how horrible they are by annoying my passengers even more; I love torturing people
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Start with the fuses, then check to see if the door switches are jammed in place keeping the lights off when the doors are open.

If it's jammed just replace it, they're cheap and screw right out and back in. I can grab a pic off mine if you like since it's jammed in. I have my doors off most the year so I never bothered replacing it.
Great info, thanks a ton!! If it looks like this then I can probably find it. Hopefully get a minute tomorrow to check it out.
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It sits on the front side of the door jamb right in the middle plain as day.

Unread 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Great thanks a ton! The driver's buzzer is broken off or something. It is sitting flush with the jam nut on the door sill. The others look normal. Where do you guys go to buy parts like this?
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Great thanks a ton! The driver's buzzer is broken off or something. It is sitting flush with the jam nut on the door sill. The others look normal. Where do you guys go to buy parts like this?
Theyre universal, any parts store will have em.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.