Finding Replacement seat for 1998 Cherokee classic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Finding Replacement seat for 1998 Cherokee classic

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
deannab

Finding Replacement seat for 1998 Cherokee classic

Looking for a little help finding a replacement front seat for a 1998 Cherokee classic. Ours has busted and we don't have the means to fix it.

We've checked with a ton of local junk yards but no one has one in any decent condition. And I'll be honest, I'm a little lost looking for a replacement online. I just want one as (dubiously) comfortable as the stock seat, no bells and whistles (it's just the manual cloth seat that is being replaced anyway), that has all the parts needed so it can be easily switched out.

Our budget is incredibly tight, so under $200 would be great too. Any ideas, or pokes in the right direction? Anything I need to be aware of in looking for these that I might miss?

Also, am I correct that 1997-2001 cherokee seats are interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for any help!! We REALLY need to get this baby back on the road!

deannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
bigbill888
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know where buchanan is, but I saw a nice front passenger seat in a 99 two days ago in a JY in Holly, MI
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Why not take the seat to an upholstery shop and have it welded/re-upholstered?
the_weirdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Start soaking the left rear seat track bolt with PB Blaster now. Dumb design - it goes right thru the floor and leaves threads exposed underneath. Since you live in Michigan, I'll bet the threads are nice and rusty...and I'm guessing by your thread that you're limited on tools to deal with drilling out a broken bolt.
The other 3 bolts should come right out.
I think $200 is more than enough to buy a new seat with seat track. Here in eastern Pa, the local u-pull-it junkyard sells them for $20 (yes $20). Several Cherokees there at any given time.
I also understand from other threads that 1st-generation Grand Cherokee seats will bolt right to the Cherokee seat tracks. Might be more comfortable.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Where are you located? Ive got an extra set laying around, cloth, not in the greatest shape but not broken.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

and yeah, any grand cherokee through 04 seats will swap directly to your bases.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you go with the grand Cherokee seats pull the big comfy couch cushion ones my butt has never been happier on long trips.
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weirdo View Post
Why not take the seat to an upholstery shop and have it welded ?
X2

I fix at least 2 of these seats a month . A good upholstery shop should be able to weld it up for ya.
Most people fail state inspection and get referred to us.
Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.