Finally a Jeep owner!! newbie but serious enthusiast. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Finally a Jeep owner!! newbie but serious enthusiast.

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
DonnieDark0

Finally a Jeep owner!! newbie but serious enthusiast.

sooo happy I finally found myself the exact Jeep I was looking for.

picking up a green sport 99 xj cherokee straight 6 4.0 , auto with 91k for 2500!!!! tomorow night
has a radiator leak and the cluster glitches out on the highway sometimes(electrical).

plans are to get her into mild trail ready status for upstate NY , camping, offroading , winter DD ETC...

I am a serious audi/euro enthusiast, so I am not new to forums or enthusiast communitys............with a 2000 Audi S4 twin turbo stg2+. but I have Always always always had an itch for the XJ cherokee 4x4 beast tank vehicle.

looking forward to meeting all the cool enthusiasts , to contributing to this wonderful community and to building my rig!

Last edited by DonnieDark0; 08-20-2011 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: pics
DonnieDark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Chelsea
The clocks ticking, pops.

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a good deal, have fun with it! Glad you're getting an XJ

You can pick up a CSF three-core radiator on Radiatorbarn.com for cheap and it's a pretty easy install. I just did the job a few months ago. As for the glitching, that is a common problem as well. I had the same issue - just pulled the cluster, cleaned and greased all the connections, and reinstalled. Haven't had a problem since.

It's nice to see some new members who appreciate foreign cars as well. We've got a 2000 Subaru Impreza RS and a turbo '96 Impreza LX (rally project).

Welcome to JF

WANTED:
-Jeep Comanche OEM drip rails
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pics?
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

OP; be sure to check underneath your carpet when you go to get that XJ. Being from the north these don't tend to keep sheet metal underneath them.

Also, nice screen name OP...probably top #1 favorite film!
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
DonnieDark0

Thanks alot guys! looking forward to it! going to attach images as soon as i figure this forum out.

On a side note.

Truck came with independent yellow fogs and PIAA driving lights, a folder of reciepts and basic cargo rack.
Looks really good at night with the piaas on.

*1st week had her I changed the transfer case light switch.

also noticed im only getting about 12 mpg on the highway!!!! and you can feel a misfire at idle, slight bouncing of rpms and you can feel it throught the cabin.

cleaned throttle body as good as possible......
cleaned IAC..
Changed all sparkplugs/ plug wires/ distributor cap and rotor....

and no god damn CEL. Im thinking the misfire I feel might be conributing to the HORRIBLE MPG.

ive searched and searched but seem to be at a loss cause I have no CEL to to diagnose.

Thanks again guys! any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by DonnieDark0; 08-20-2011 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: run on
DonnieDark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
rsurran
2005 WK 

There are threads on here about Seafoam ($9 at WalMart). You might consider trying a treatment before you do anything really expensive. I put it in the gas tank but there is a force-feed method that is quicker. Make sure you read all the information before you do it. Good luck and welcome. I've been helped by these folks and they will help you too.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would go with the seafoam as stated rsurran, pull the brake booster vaccume and pour about 1/3 in. also i guess i don't your history with auto's but ur sure its a missfire? Not unbalanced, un aligned tires? that can kill mileage. but the number one thing to do when it comes to gas mileage... is forget about it cause after all it is a JEEP! and welcome!
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introthread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.