Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Finally got my new Infinity 6.5s! YAY!

910 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Bstd_02_wgn 
#1 ·
UPS just dropped off my shiny new (4) Infinity 6.5 Reference speakers!! Yay! :2thumbsup: I get to install my soundbar and can finally disable the blown 5.25s in my hatch. I hope that the Infinitys sound better than my old shot Pioneer 5.25 basics in the doors. Can hardly turn up the stereo and the Pioneers are popping.

Anyone running the Infinity 6.5 Reference 6022i speakers?

#2 ·
I cant comment on those specific speakers, but I have Infinities in my Ram and they are kick ***! They have built in tweeters and are by far the best speaking I've probably ever bought. Well worth the money!

#4 ·
Anyone running the Infinity 6.5 Reference 6022i speakers?
Im running the 5.25's and managed to blow (cone sepersted from rubber outer membrane) all 4 within a timespan of 6 months. That is, no amp, running an Alpine deck, and I dont listen to my music loud enough to even come close to blowing regular speakers.

I really do hope you have better luck than I did...Im still running mine, they just have zero bass.

#5 ·
Infinity makes some of the best speakers around. Cant say much about their reference line since i have not really had experience with them, but their kappa line has some of the best speakers money can buy. So they should be much better than your old speakers. Unless you have a factory or a crappy deck powering them.

And there must be something wrong with your deck or your wiring because its almost impossible to blow a set of speakers with a stereo thats only putting out ~25 watts rms to each speaker..unless you play them at full till all the time, even then its still pretty hard. Or maybe all 4 speakers had defective rubber surrounds which i highly doubt.

#6 ·
Yep. To clarify, I have the Reference 5012i, and running an Alpine CDE9843 deck. I have 2 in the doors, and 2 in the hatch, and I had one blow, and within a few months, they all ended up blowing, (meaning the rubber surrounds came detached). But before they all blew, my XJ sounded like a concert hall. I honestly couldnt believe the clarity that could come from 4 5.25 inch speakers.

Also my Mom's WJ has blown tweeters, which are factory installed Infinity.

I am not bashing the product, Im gonna assume I just have bad luck with Infinity's.

#7 ·
my kappas kick ***. amazing sound. and the speakers are in the door with cutout fenders and no lining so they cut beat on. sorry you had such bad luck with them 88. ill be buying the same set the OP got for my hatch if the pioneers back there ever die :laugh: damn old school pioneers 3 ways are tough. the surrounds are superglued and they still sound great :rofl:

and BTW, 88- did you ever get them warrantied? when a cone simply detaches it can be glued back on. literally.

#10 ·
Alrighty. Pulled the weak old Pioneer 5.25s from the doors and installed my new shiny 6.5s. Took a bit of beating and cutting the door panel with a utility knife, but I got em in. With the grills on and using the correct spacers and screws too. Sounds WAAAYY better than the shot speakers I had. I actually get some serious bass now.

I got the other 6.5s installed in my soundbar I pulled from a '95. Now I gotta throw THAT into my '92 and try to hunt down the speaker wires that go to the hatch so I can disconnect the hatch and splice into the harness. Plus wire up the rear dome-light since the soundbar hangs on the rear light posts.

As usual I assume my Chiltons and Haynes manuals will have the wrong color codes so I will end up tracing the wires to the hatch speakers before cutting. :brickwall

#11 ·
What a coincidence... UPS just dropped my 4 new 6.5" Infinity Kappas off yesterday as well. I got the 62.9i's though. Also purchased them off ebay w/free shipping. Only problem is that the mounting tabs are just barely off and don't line up with the factory holes.

Can't wait to get my new deck this weekend and install them. Driving with no tunes is so dull and boring.

#14 ·
I put in 3 sets of the kappa's, tied in with 16? guage speaker wires, nice 6 channel amp, and a single 12" rockford sub. I LOVE the stereo setup. It brings out the smallest and biggest of the music, from sick guitar riffs to symbles and such. Be sure to use good speaker wires, it makes all the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.