Finally got it... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Finally got it...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
dlargo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got it...

Afternoon all,

Finally got a Cherokee this past week. 2001 White 4x4 4.0 with 130k on the odometer. Few blemishes on the body but the interior is very clean.

After a trip to the local shop a couple of things came back to be remedied on Monday morning. Rear brake seal and a leaky valve cover gasket. The said all the fluids looked fresh but I went ahead and changed the oil from 5W to 10W. Today I replaced the lift gate supports and radiator cap and will be replacing the t-stat on Monday as well to go along with the other two items.

After speaking to a few folks on the forum they also suggested replacing the radiator as a precaution. It does seem to inch up while idling...right past the 210 mark and then it settles down as soon I get going. Not sure if I should be worried or not?

Also, the steering seems to be a bit sluggish compared to my Wrangler and it wants to wander ever so slightly. I want to tackle the small things and make it mechanically sound before I dive into the lift, tires, and bumpers.

Thanks
Danny

dlargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
josh94xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Come on now you know we all like pics

Sent from my 2 door Cherokee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ View Post
i say screw it and just rawdog it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
Selling your jeep is like selling your soul....
NEW JEEP PROJECT COMEING SOON!
josh94xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Mine goes a little over the 210 mark while sitting still at idle too, and the radiator was replaced about a year ago so it is pretty normal for it to do that. Make sure you have enough fluid in the power steering reservoir and check all your tie rod ends for any play.

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
dlargo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Here are some pics....try to get some more later.

If it does not work I will try again in a bit. So far enjoying it. As for the little things it was been awhile since I had a Cherokee (sold my last one about a year and half ago then went to a Wrangler and I needed more room and more comfort for the little ones.) What should I be looking for? Belts and fluids all look to be ok and trans seems be shift just fine. The 4wd shifter seems to be a bit off...I tried to go from 2 to 4 and it took a little effort to get into to 4Lo. Any words of wisdom for a newb?

Thanks
Danny

http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/...t=31e9640a.jpg
Unread 09-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's 35 bucks for a mechanical fan clutch. That will ensure you don't get creep at idle and low speed. 210 is not unreasonable though.

It's always a bit of effort to get into 4Lo - rolling barely, pop the trans into N, pull back firmly from 4hi into 4lo - expect a bit of gear noise or resistance and it will firmly engage, put trans back into D. That is common.

Last 2 years of XJ's have a temperamental head that will not tolerate overheats. Keep a very close eye on the coolant reservoir, and oil dipstick/oil cap for cross contamination. This is not a scare tactic, but if you maintain your cooling system you will likely NEVER have an issue. Keep the rad and condenser clean of junk/mud/bugs, replace the serp, hoses, water pump, coolant, rad cap, and tstat every 2 years and you will be fine.

Start oiling the body - it will start to rot the rockers first.

If the windows only go up and down at times from the drivers door, then you need to bypass the lockout switch.

White XJ's are the cats azz.
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
dlargo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

rugsucka and everyone else.

thanks for the info....I have a clutch on order for the fan. Going to get it today with the new tstat. Putting them in today or tomorrow. I am familiar with the head issue and will have the shop check for any issues tomorrow when it goes in for the valve gasket and rear brake seal and how do you bypass the lock out switch. The rear drivers door does not move with either switch and the rear passengers only goes down...

thanks
Danny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.