Finally back in an XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Finally back in an XJ

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free Shipping

Unread 06-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Bulldog07
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Finally back in an XJ

So after a cracked head, numerous other repairs, and a sudden need to pay some bills (dad's cancer, kid's surgery, etc) I sold my 2000. My wife and I decided we need a second vehicle, and I managed to talk her into a 1999 cherokee. It needs a bit of work(what jeep doesn't), but the drivetrain and suspension are solid. More importantly, the price was right. For the next while it will be a DD, but I can get a bit of work done on it. Already replaced the muffler and given it an oil change.
Onto the needs list. I need to address the electrical (?) issues. The power door locks consistently work from the passengers side but only occasionally from the drives side. I guess the flip side is that the power windows only work from the drivers side. Also have some rust issues to deal with. The rockers need to go but the frame is solid, so I at least have something to bolt to. Not sure what to replace them with. My wife is short and the jeep came with a small lift (PO said something about a leveling kit and a 1 1/2 lift), so her vote is for a step of some kind. Had it on my father in law's lift this weekend and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of rust, so I need to get some corrosion prevention under it before it catches that disease. Way down on the list is replacing the rear wiper motor, and probably a paint job since none in or house is too attached to the purple color. Since this still needs to be a DD, work will be slow since it can't be out of use for very long time. Just glad to be back in an XJ

Bulldog07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
Bulldog07
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also added to the list this morning is finding a way off securing the car seat better. I asked my daughter if she wanted to ride in the car or the jeep to go to school, and her response was "daddy's 'eep 'ease" followed by "daddy's 'eep NOW" when I took too long getting the car seat in. I heard rumors that the dealership might some kind of way to make it a little safer? Anyone know anything about that?
Unread 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The dealerships used to stock a kit that added a top tether mount at the rear cargo tiedown. Dunno if they still do that. In any case, you'll need to get the H-bracket thingys that come with most car seats (but not all--if yours didnt you call the manufacturer) in order to secure the seat belts. Ours dont lock our anything.
Unread 06-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also, if it's just the one kid put her seat in the middle and use the lap belt.
Unread 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
PCO6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog07 View Post
... The rockers need to go but the frame is solid, so I at least have something to bolt to. Not sure what to replace them with...
Go with 2"x6" tubing. I did mine (post #8 of the thread below) and am glad I did. Strong, cheap (relatively) and easier than replacing with original or after market rockers (IMO).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/r...anels-2940033/
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
Bulldog07
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
Go with 2"x6" tubing. I did mine (post #8 of the thread below) and am glad I did. Strong, cheap (relatively) and easier than replacing with original or after market rockers (IMO).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/r...anels-2940033/
I was looking at a few different threads about this last night. I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

On another note, I talked to the local dealer, and they have a latch kit upgrade coming in a few days so the kid can safely ride in the jeep.
Unread 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
Bulldog07
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thinking about throwing on the 3" skyjacker kit I pulled from my 2000 before I sold it. It has a 1.5" right now. Mostly I just want to get some use out of the parts that have less than 100 miles on them before the old xj blew up.
Unread 06-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
GeekGirl75
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice that you got another XJ. Just got my second one too, about 3 weeks ago My first one was an '01 but was wrecked when someone pulled a U turn right in front of me. My "new" one is a '99 that came from Maryland (I live in MI), so she really has no rust except a tiny spot in the driver's side floor, by the pedals. So happy to have another one. I had a '94 ZJ that was fair to drive but ultimately broke down so we got rid of that, and I've been driving an '02 KJ, which we've had hardly any problems with. Great Jeep. But nothing beats an XJ :-)
Unread Yesterday, 04:59 AM   #9
Bulldog07
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl75 View Post
Nice that you got another XJ. Just got my second one too, about 3 weeks ago My first one was an '01 but was wrecked when someone pulled a U turn right in front of me. My "new" one is a '99 that came from Maryland (I live in MI), so she really has no rust except a tiny spot in the driver's side floor, by the pedals. So happy to have another one. I had a '94 ZJ that was fair to drive but ultimately broke down so we got rid of that, and I've been driving an '02 KJ, which we've had hardly any problems with. Great Jeep. But nothing beats an XJ :-)
Glad to hear someone else had the joy of getting back into a vehicle they really love!

I got home before my wife last night, so of course I was poking around under the hood. I was told when I bought it that the fog lights were installed but not wired. He also threw in a factory switch for the fog lights he had found at the jy. To my surprise it looks like they are actually already wired to the fuse box under the hood, but there is no fuse in it. I also have no idea where it leads after the fuse box as my wife got home right about the time I started tracing wires I was told by the PO wouldn't exist. Guess I have another project for the jeep this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.