On the fence....new XJ or rebuild my ol trusty ruster. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > On the fence....new XJ or rebuild my ol trusty ruster.

April Savings Save 5% Off Of Jeep HeadlightsBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSave on Rancho Products !

Unread 03-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

On the fence....new XJ or rebuild my ol trusty ruster.

I can't weld. Not to say that I don't want to learn and actually looking into buying my first welder, been researching. That said, my 2000 XJ is suffering from North East Ohio Rust as well as falling ice damage that smashed up the two driver side doors. Rockers are shot as well as some other parts of the body. I'm looking into picking up another XJ...114k on odometer, a few minor dents. Probably $4,000 and starting over.
I'd have to move the the geared and shafted axles as well as the sye and most of the armor. I'm thinking TnT long arm vs my dropped RC kit too.
Question is start from scratch or try to rescue my Rusty but faithful rig that I owned since new?

Fury3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was with buying a new rig and swapping parts over until I saw "owned since new"
If you truly owned it since it was new I'd keep it and rebuild it.
Unread 03-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller
I was with buying a new rig and swapping parts over until I saw "owned since new" If you truly owned it since it was new I'd keep it and rebuild it.
+1

Very few people can say they have owned their XJ since it was new.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #4
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the input. I'm going to keep her. 15 years and she's still running no matter how much I cut her cut her up, bolted on, swapped out and ran her rough. So, now I'm taking a little course in welding and picking up a Hobart 140 MIG welder. I've replace the rusted out rockers, it's pretty bad.
Fury3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury3 View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm going to keep her. 15 years and she's still running no matter how much I cut her cut her up, bolted on, swapped out and ran her rough. So, now I'm taking a little course in welding and picking up a Hobart 140 MIG welder. I've replace the rusted out rockers, it's pretty bad.
Good choice! On keeping the jeep and the welder, I own a Hobart 125 with mig conversion and it gets everything I need up to 3/16s done. I really wish I had gotten the 140 though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.