Fat Bob's garag lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Fat Bob's garag lifts

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
jwe

Fat Bob's garag lifts

I'm on a budge as in I'm very limited as to what I can get buy.I'm been wheeling my Cherokee a few times now and have noticed one of its main weaknesses for my style of offroad driving .That being ground clearance or lack of it in my case.I don't go riding on a mountain of rocks but I do ride trails,woods,hills,mud and big ruts where water has washed the dirt away. Anyways I need bigger tires because my front and rear end pumpkins get hung/ dragged on the ground when I'm crossing things so I need a lift and as said before I'm on a budget. so I'm looking a kit that has longer coil springs for the front and adjustable shackles for the rear.the problem is I have heard bad things about shackles and don't want something that will mess up my rig.like something falling off while I'm on a trail.I heard sky jackers is a more show than go kinda lift plus its high.anyways a friend fellow Jeeper said a company called Fat Bob's garage has the best 3in shackle lift for a XJ.I'm did a Google search and they seem to have great reviews. Has anyone used this company, used this kit. Heard anything good or bad about them or know of a better kit.
Here is the kit I'll be getting http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p8703.aspx I want to run either 30s or 31s

jwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

How badly are you getting hung up now, 'cause 31" tires will only raise the pumpkins about 1"...
And check out this site for a wide variety of lift kits (you'll probably want to get new rear leafs too):
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...e-xj/index.htm
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
How badly are you getting hung up now, 'cause 31" tires will only raise the pumpkins about 1"...

^^^ This.

Look into a simple coil spacer/aal set-up and realize that new tires are what's gonna put the biggest dent in your limited budget.

However, if you're getting hung up that much on your diffs going up a tad in tire size isn't going to help you pick better lines when wheelin. Sounds to me like your "driving style" has some learning to do in regards to crossing large obstacles - i.e. don't stradle big stuff, put your tires on them.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
jwe

See where I ride they are others that have made ruts with 39s, and bigger tires.So when I take my stock XJ there and ride thru a puddle I uncover the ruts that the bigger 4x4s have left under the water causing me to get stock because my tires are just spinning in the ruts and the middle of my XJ is in the middle where there middle was. My driving does need approving too because I like getting my XJ muddy so I hit ever puddle I see.When I had my 95 Bronco that was on procomps 35s and a 6in lift and a 351w it got stuck in some of the puddles. I'm going to get some 30s or 31s.I'm now leaning toward 31s which is going to break my budget lol.I'll definitely be doing the 3in lift I posted above.
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A 3" lift and 31s wont get you where a 35 or bigger is going. Trust me Iv been foolish enough tto think they can but it only results in abusing a XJ and getting stuck.
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
jwe

Yeah but its better than nothing.Im not going to go thru them puddles and ill approve my drinking over the ruts
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
xjaustin94
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwe View Post
Yeah but its better than nothing.Im not going to go thru them puddles and ill approve my drinking over the ruts
imo id just spend the extra 80$ and get a 3 inch kit. i love fat bobs, I've always used them and have gotten my stuff before it was supposed to be there. look at this and just go ahead and do a little more.

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p6481.aspx
xjaustin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
jwe

I ordered the fat bobs garage 3in lift.This is the kit I ordered
http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p8703.aspx

The includes Front: 3" Lift front coil springs. Rear: Shackles that are adjustable to 1.5" or 2". Includes all mounting hardware and bushings.

I need Longer shocks with this lift does anyone have any ides on good BUDGET shocks? Also will this kit let me upgrade later on? Say next year I want a bigger lift 4in can I just upgrade some of what I have or would I have to start from scratch?

I ordered the fat bobs garage 3in lift.This is the kit I ordered
http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p8703.aspx

The includes Front: 3" Lift front coil springs. Rear: Shackles that are adjustable to 1.5" or 2". Includes all mounting hardware and bushings.

I need Longer shocks with this lift does anyone have any ides on good BUDGET shocks? Also will this kit let me upgrade later on? Say next year I want a bigger lift 4in can I just upgrade some of what I have or would I have to start from scratch?
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You can use JK shocks. Can easily find them on Craigslist fairly new
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
You can use JK shocks. Can easily find them on Craigslist fairly new
yep,
I found a set of Rubicon take offs with 3k miles on them for $30 shipped from ebay . There was also a local set on craigs but he wouldn't roll off of $60, which is still a solid number for a set of 4, but not $30
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
lilBlackXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
yep,
I found a set of Rubicon take offs with 3k miles on them for $30 shipped from ebay . There was also a local set on craigs but he wouldn't roll off of $60, which is still a solid number for a set of 4, but not $30
Slightly off topic, but with the JK shocks, can you use all 4? I wasn't sure if all 4 bolted on, and everything I've read doesn't clearly state anything of value.

Sent from an undisclosed location with auto guide.
lilBlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Though many people have had great experiences with Fat Bob's Garage, my experience wasn't the best. About 3 years ago, I ordered a 2" lift from them. Included 2" coil spacers for the front and I paid a little extra for the extended HD AAL for the rear. I got all of the basic parts, such as the AAL's and the spacers but I received the completely wrong center pin bolts for the leaf springs and when I called them, they blamed it 100% on me, saying that I must have ordered half of the kit (the coil spacers) and then somehow ordered rear AAL's for a Tundra, which was complete crap. After an hour on the phone and talking to every level of employment, they sent me 4 center pin bolts, two weeks later. Of course I did not realize that they had sent the wrong bolts until I had my vehicle apart and my OEM center pin bolts had sheered upon removal so I was pretty much hosed for those two weeks. All in all, two of them were still completely wrong and the other two fit but were 8 inches long and had to be cut to fit. I can't say much for the product because I only ordered coil spacers and AAL's but I really did not appreciate the way I was treated and the lack of understanding. Let alone, they had to guess which center pin bolts worked for my vehicle.
I'm not trying to bash on Fat Bob's Garage, for all I know it was all due to mass confusion, a bad day, or they just had a grudge against kids trying to mod their Jeeps but just check everything thoroughly before install and if you are missing something or have a wrong part, give yourself time to receive the new part.
kyle1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.