fast answer needed on steering :) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > fast answer needed on steering :)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

fast answer needed on steering :)

Hey in a bit of a bind. I need to get new sterring for the Agent Orange and dont have access to lots of tools. Im looking at the IRO OTK steering. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...%20Install.pdf any thoughts or opinions?

IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I personally don't like the look of the way they set up the passenger side knuckle all stacked up and the way the drag link is shaped. That's a personal feeling, more that a factual opinion.

I do see a couple IRO steering set ups for sale on CherokeeForum right now - both say almost new in good condition. Neither of them say works awesome, will miss it, etc.

Although I run a few IRO steering parts, that is not one of them. I've got Go-Fer-it inserts on the shelf and I'm going to run a RHD draglink flipped to match my already flipped driver side TRE.

Heim Joints are not "legal" in most jurisdictions so be mindful of that if you drive it much. Heim Joints tend to get a bit noisy quick as well. Not to the point of failure, but just a bit noisy. YMMV
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well I ended up ordering the IRO steering last night. Heims may not be legal but Ill run them anyways and in VT I doubt anybody will notice.
Unread 09-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have JCR Offroad steering on my XJ. I've been really impressed, and I have the under-the-knuckle version. The over-the-knuckle version does take a little fab work to make it work, but it looks like you're good for it. http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/STR/1TS-OTK.html
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Alcancia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I was lookin at JCR but I don't want to buy a reamer for one install. The IRO uses a tapered insert so no reamer is needed and no fab work. If I was home(NJ) I'd have access to my full machine shop to do the work but don't have that here with me in VT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.