Fabbing XJ bumpers-project OVERKILL - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Fabbing XJ bumpers-project OVERKILL

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #61
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post
I absolutely do not recommend that this bumper is used for winch applications. It is not built to take the necessary load in the appropriate and SAFE way, most especially with the way the bumper is currently mounted.

Have a crap ton of metal on the front of your Jeep is not the same thing as having a crap ton of well-engineered metal on the front of your Jeep.
I know, I was adding on top of what others have already said about mounting.

ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #62
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just to clear everything up i made mount extensions that use 6 BOLTS PER SIDE. i figured if so many people say its wrong then it is probably wrong. So now there are 12 bolts and 18 inches per side holding this thing on. No money for winch so no worries. the winch idea went out the window when i put the verticle bars in
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #63
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMan95ZJ View Post
so your saying its ok to be a prick if you turn around and be nice? not how it works. And if you took the time to read what I typed, im pretty sure I gave my input.
My advice works however I want it to. If it worked how you wanted it to, then it would be your advice. I did read what you wrote, and it was painful to attempt deciphering the non-punctuated mess you tried to pass off as a paragraph. But like I said, it was just a repeat of what everyone else had already said. I'm done bickering with you and cluttering up the OP's thread, anything else you feel you need to say feel free to PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
I am a welder, and it makes zero difference how neat a weld is, as long as it has the proper penetration. That being said, I did not critque his welds.
I would agree that a pretty weld isn't always a strong weld, but I hope you aren't trying to defend his welding. The penetration is inconsistent at best, creating plenty of weak areas. Everyone starts somewhere, but starting on a project with the consequence of possible serious injury isn't a good idea.

To the OP, you seem to have a good grasp on things, and that fact that you took some ****, and responded by accepting the criticism and advice shows a lot. With that attitude and some practice you'll end up a good fabricator in no time, it's the people who won't take any advice that end up with no skill.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #64
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Uuugh... people! Really? Move on! Unsubscribed!
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #65
Gearhead231
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so IK brookhart personally. If he built this bumper with the kind of quality he put in his brushgaurd, this thing is damn solid. As for the whole winch thing, all he has to do is give me a ring lol. I think the fact that hes 18 and fabbing up some cool stuff is pretty amazing. Its nice to see someone who puts blood sweat and tears into every little park of his jeep. Now for the whole "its too big thing" this is not the only bumper hes ever going to build, I believe this is a live and learn type thing. I just know I cant wait to see it.
Cherokee Creto-This is my cherokee... there are many like it but this one is mine, I will love my cheroke form the day of ownership untill the day it dies, I promise to modd it and beat it after said mods... i promise to treat all other cherokee owners as family even though they are complete strangers.... and promise to jeep on forever
Gearhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #66
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'd like to add one small comment about the grinding photo...

Idiot! Fool! Dumba**!

You're not wearing ear protection (muffs)!!!!! I know that grinder doesn't seem too loud, but it really is. Exposure to even moderately loud noise can lead to hearing loss. You MUST get in the habit of grabbing the muffs every time you make any noise, even if it's "just for a second." Trust me on this one, guys... it's no fun being hard of hearing.

BTW, nice job on the bumper.
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #67
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraleyes View Post
Uuugh... people! Really? Move on! Unsubscribed!
agreed, you ALL win the internets, now put your I}icks and rulers away and get onto more important things
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #68
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

my constructive criticism is, i would have made it out of thinner metal, because of weight purposes (and yes i understand project overkill), seconndly i would have done the brushguard differently, but to each his own, good start.

Obviously any experience making bumpers is good experience if you know good from bad, and 4 out of 5 pages of this thread consisits of diliberation on that very topic, so it seems you had to have learned something, haha

good work!
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #69
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
Don't expect to post your **** online and not be criticized. For an 18 year old kid making his first bumper, you did a decent job, but there is plenty of room for improvement. My first suggestion, like previously stated, is to make sure you tie the bumper in a lot better. The last thing you want is to kill or injure one of your buddies if that thing lets go. The bumper sticks out way too far for a non-winch application, but if you cut the corners off at a 45* angle it will help the overall 'flow', and make the bumper look a little more proportional. As far as the stinger, it's a bit too much for me, but if you like it, then keep it. I'll give you credit, everything looks even, straight and well measured. Your welds need a lot of work, but we all start somewhere. I'm no pro, and not all mine are picture perfect, but I've been doing it long enough to know when even an ugly one will hold. You just need practice, and a recovery point isn't always the best place to hone those skills because if a weld breaks it could leave your *** stranded, or like I said someone could get hurt. Don't let *******s like me discourage you, use the criticism as an incentive to get better and prove me wrong. Good luck finishing the bumper, with a little more work it could make for a good deer killer.
i think if this was posted first, it would have went over a lot better
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #70
wlc78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

holy over kill...sweet bumper be next time someone see you coming they will move
wlc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #71
pyrotyro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
Just to clear everything up i made mount extensions that use 6 BOLTS PER SIDE. i figured if so many people say its wrong then it is probably wrong. So now there are 12 bolts and 18 inches per side holding this thing on. No money for winch so no worries. the winch idea went out the window when i put the verticle bars in
good call man, i built a bumper for my first xj, and i rear ended somebody with it. didnt do a dam thing to the bumper, but pushed the whole thing in towards the grill. so on the tie ins

your doing great putting up with all the whiney little *****s on this site, keep it up man

My youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/MRpyrotyro
pyrotyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #72
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hello everybody. Finally got this thing done. It was painted by Midwest Body and Frame. Elvis did a great job. paint code PQ7 and this thing looks sweet. My dad was a huge help on this project and he made me slow down and think about everything rather than rush through and wing it. Dad spent 20 plus hours smoothing this thing out. So here it is!

Thanks for the help everybody. I have gotten better at welding and since picked up some hotter burning wire that penetrates deeper. I will have another build in a couple of weeks for the green jeep and that one will be much simpler.
Unread 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #73
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

deffinatly needed recovery points.

Grinding down welds makes them much weaker.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #74
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i thought about that so thats why the recovery points are going on the unibody tie ins. I didnt grind any of the welds that really hold anything just the ones the needed to look pretty.
Unread 04-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #75
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tags
bumpers , cherokee , custom , welding , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.