Fabbing XJ bumpers-project OVERKILL - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Fabbing XJ bumpers-project OVERKILL

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-27-2011, 04:08 AM   #46
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
If that was your goal, you failed. The welds make me want to vomit, 1/4" is way too thick, the tie ins make me scared for the lives of all those around you and it kills your approach angle like Ted Bundy killed young women. But hey, you tried right?
Gotta remember this isn't Pirate. Jeepforum is too polite for that behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
Yes i did try. Do you just go into people threads to bash on them? Lets see you make something yourself with no money no time and no previous experience. Im 18 and im glad your so proud of your expertise and that your head is shoved so far up your own *** that you cant smell your own stink. And trust me it is strong. If you are not going to offer constructive critisicm you can go take your perfect little jeep and stay the H*** out of my thread. Thank you and have a nice day.
.. You may want to go actually check out what he's building before you say something. And if you have, then I'd say that you should kindly shut up and pay attention - when somebody with more knowledge, experience, and skill says something, you should listen. This is how we learn.

Unread 02-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #47
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
I must say 1/4" IS indeed overkill. 3/16 would have been plenty adequate, especially for the overall girth of the thing. Not to mention almost every single aftermarket bumper manufacturer uses 3/16 for the entire bumper and only 1/4" for the winch plate. You could've saved alot of money going with a thinner metal, and not sacrificed rigidity. The welds look great, the overall fabrication of it seems pretty good. But i agree on the tie in brackets, you should have extended those things in further. Also, why did you guys decide to have the corners, and the sides stick so far out? Now you've got these HUGE gaps between the corner of the body, and the bumper. I would have brought the "sides" in to be flush with the side of the body. JCR did a good job if this in their design of their front bumpers. Take a look at these: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ntNewPics2.jpg
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ontNewPics.jpg
I'd cut those "canards" you have going there right off and bring 'em in if I were you. Everything else looks great. I love the edges, and angles. Not bad tho for a first attempt.
How do you figure?
Just because he laid down filler metal onto two other pieces of metal doesn't mean those welds are anywhere within the realm of "great". For a bumper that won't have any recovery points, it's all fine, but I wouldn't trust those welds on anything that bears any stress load.

edit:
Now why didn't this post get merged with the last one...
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #48
DieselDreamer
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
If that was your goal, you failed. The welds make me want to vomit, 1/4" is way too thick, the tie ins make me scared for the lives of all those around you and it kills your approach angle like Ted Bundy killed young women. But hey, you tried right?
Im cracking up over this post man!

I'm a welding student and have worked, for a short time anyways, in the field. The fact that he tried is cool but the fact that it was wing it as you go was not so much. Honestly, I think when and if I build my own bumpers, there will be six months planning into it. LoL.

Good try, not so great out come in my honest opinion. Remember measure twice, cut once, weld once measure again and adjust to initial measurements. Most of us are not trying to steal your thunder its just that the project you great is truly overkill. I say scrape it, salvage what you can, and start from scratch when your budget does allow for a more complex build.

Erik
DieselDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #49
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well...Thank you for your input everyone. And yes i understand that it is not as nice as store bought. I will do some strengh test when i put it on. Im not going to scrap it. I put way to much time into it and even if you guys dont like it i take great pride in what i built. I have never built anything of this scale and i thought i did a pretty good job. I dont mind taking advice for anybody that knows what they are talking about, but when it is in the form of an insult i dont take to kindly to that. I dont insult other peoples builds so i dont expect any from anybody else. Now that thats takin care of, could i get some input on color? I was thinking steel blue like my jeep. What do ya think?
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #50
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Those center two (sorta)vertical pieces kinda ruined it, imo. Also, for extending out that far, you should have planned for a winch later. Now that those two pieces are there, I'm lost as to what's up with this plan.

It is salvageable though! Pick up or fab some tie in brackets to add to it that go back 16-18" and an aftermarket steering stabilizer bracket. Lose those vertical pieces(???) and cut out for a winch. Add d-ring mounts or hooks. Also, you should move the center hoop towards the front of the bumper edge. Do all that, and it will be worthy of a healthy XJ.
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #51
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't expect to post your **** online and not be criticized. For an 18 year old kid making his first bumper, you did a decent job, but there is plenty of room for improvement. My first suggestion, like previously stated, is to make sure you tie the bumper in a lot better. The last thing you want is to kill or injure one of your buddies if that thing lets go. The bumper sticks out way too far for a non-winch application, but if you cut the corners off at a 45* angle it will help the overall 'flow', and make the bumper look a little more proportional. As far as the stinger, it's a bit too much for me, but if you like it, then keep it. I'll give you credit, everything looks even, straight and well measured. Your welds need a lot of work, but we all start somewhere. I'm no pro, and not all mine are picture perfect, but I've been doing it long enough to know when even an ugly one will hold. You just need practice, and a recovery point isn't always the best place to hone those skills because if a weld breaks it could leave your *** stranded, or like I said someone could get hurt. Don't let *******s like me discourage you, use the criticism as an incentive to get better and prove me wrong. Good luck finishing the bumper, with a little more work it could make for a good deer killer.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #52
JeepMan95ZJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Constructive critisizm and **** talking are two totaly different categories. Personally, for my liking, if its going to stick out that far i would have made it a winch bumper. also my opinion. The welds could use work. For your and your friends safety, I wouldnt recomend recovery points because if it rips off and hits somebody and the head and kills them... if you wanted to weld them on for COSMETIC PURPOSES ONLY then be my guest. My Jeep was a bit of a mall crawler before I i took it on the trails. CTeunuch, you could be a helluva lot less of a *******. Your welds looked that that and one point, and you want to make me vomit for being such a prick to such an innocent kid. Either be helpful, or stfu. dont talk **** and then say use it to help you

Last edited by JeepMan95ZJ; 02-27-2011 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
JeepMan95ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #53
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Plus you gotta give it up to the kid for taking it so well. Seems like a pretty cool cat.
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #54
JeepMan95ZJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Agreed, had you said to my face my welds make you vomit, i pry would melted your face on a bead. hes either bein cool or swinging very large and heavy object around his shop in anger. But either way, for a first bumper I give the kid credit. I know a lot of people who wont even attempt to make one. He gets into this and maybe hell make some more. Welding, bumpers, and jeeps go hand in hand. probably one of the best classes I took through highschool was welding
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #55
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

On top of what everybody else said... It doenst LOOK too terribly bad (yeah it sticks out, and the two verticle bars are sorta out of place), and Im no welder so no comment on the welds. But, if you really wanted too, it wouldnt be hard to adapt it for a winch, but you might have to cut into the grill a little bit if you want the fairlead to sit flush with the front of the bumper. Keep in mind, this is the internet, so sometimes you gotta take what people say with a grain of salt and/or have some thick skin. Be proud of what you have done, and take everything you read as construcive criticism even if it comes across as an insult.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #56
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Hey nice job dude, wish I had the stuff to make a bumper.

FOR SALE-XJ Tail light housings corner lamps.
sktr021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #57
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMan95ZJ View Post
Constructive critisizm and **** talking are two totaly different categories. Personally, for my liking, if its going to stick out that far i would have made it a winch bumper. also my opinion. The welds could use work. For your and your friends safety, I wouldnt recomend recovery points because if it rips off and hits somebody and the head and kills them... if you wanted to weld them on for COSMETIC PURPOSES ONLY then be my guest. My Jeep was a bit of a mall crawler before I i took it on the trails. CTeunuch, you could be a helluva lot less of a *******. Your welds looked that that and one point, and you want to make me vomit for being such a prick to such an innocent kid. Either be helpful, or stfu. dont talk **** and then say use it to help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMan95ZJ View Post
Agreed, had you said to my face my welds make you vomit, i pry would melted your face on a bead. hes either bein cool or swinging very large and heavy object around his shop in anger. But either way, for a first bumper I give the kid credit. I know a lot of people who wont even attempt to make one. He gets into this and maybe hell make some more. Welding, bumpers, and jeeps go hand in hand. probably one of the best classes I took through highschool was welding
You're right, constructive criticism and being an ******* are two different things. First I was an *******, the kid took it well, so I offered some constructive criticism. You offered nothing but a regurgitation of the advice everyone else posted, good job you really helped out. The world is full of *******s, if you can't take it then don't ask for advice and comments on your work. If no one knocks your ****, then you have no reason to improve it. I'm glad I make you want to vomit, that makes me smile. As far as 'melting my face on a bead', I'd recommend against it, that would be an assault charge, and then YOU would be an ******* too. You should get more gooder at the typing game too, for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraleyes View Post
Plus you gotta give it up to the kid for taking it so well. Seems like a pretty cool cat.
Exactly.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #58
JeepMan95ZJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

so your saying its ok to be a prick if you turn around and be nice? not how it works. And if you took the time to read what I typed, im pretty sure I gave my input.
Unread 02-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #59
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconMill View Post
On top of what everybody else said... It doenst LOOK too terribly bad (yeah it sticks out, and the two verticle bars are sorta out of place), and Im no welder so no comment on the welds. But, if you really wanted too, it wouldnt be hard to adapt it for a winch, but you might have to cut into the grill a little bit if you want the fairlead to sit flush with the front of the bumper. Keep in mind, this is the internet, so sometimes you gotta take what people say with a grain of salt and/or have some thick skin. Be proud of what you have done, and take everything you read as construcive criticism even if it comes across as an insult.
I absolutely do not recommend that this bumper is used for winch applications. It is not built to take the necessary load in the appropriate and SAFE way, most especially with the way the bumper is currently mounted.

Have a crap ton of metal on the front of your Jeep is not the same thing as having a crap ton of well-engineered metal on the front of your Jeep.
Unread 02-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #60
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I mentioned something about mounting it early on.

cant use the stock system to mount a heavy duty bumper, the stock bumper is designed to crumple on impact.

this bumpers not gonna crumple, but the u channel behind it will, if the 3 bolts per side dont just tear right thru it. Most aftermarket bumpers use more area to mount and dispense the load/impact.

I am a welder, and it makes zero difference how neat a weld is, as long as it has the proper penetration. That being said, I did not critque his welds.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumpers , cherokee , custom , welding , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.