Fabbing XJ bumpers-project OVERKILL - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Fabbing XJ bumpers-project OVERKILL

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #31
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver1467 View Post
Nice job. I like to see home fabbed projects. Its too easy to just buy one, and it doesn't have that one of a kind touch.
Thank you.

Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #32
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
I would do it anyway u never know if ur gonna need it, then when u do your gonna be cursing yourself for not adding it.
Well we were just going to hook the chain to the plate steel. but your right its better to be safe than sorry
Unread 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #33
Gearhead231
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would add a 2" reciever into yours. BTW incorperating those JK fog lights would look sicccck.
Cherokee Creto-This is my cherokee... there are many like it but this one is mine, I will love my cheroke form the day of ownership untill the day it dies, I promise to modd it and beat it after said mods... i promise to treat all other cherokee owners as family even though they are complete strangers.... and promise to jeep on forever
Gearhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #34
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead231 View Post
I would add a 2" reciever into yours. BTW incorperating those JK fog lights would look sicccck.
I plan on it. for a future winch and i would cut holes for lights but i dont know how to smooth it out on the inside
Unread 02-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #35
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Friggin sweet!

Definitely tie them into your steering box with an aftermarket steering box spacer. I recommend just picking up a set of these(as much as I hate JCR, this is just an example) and then build your bumper off of them.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB

I just noticed something... If you go with oversized tires/lift on that rig and expect to do some flexing, you'll have to cut those returns along the side shorter. My 33s rub on my JCR bumper ends at full compress on both sides just barely and I added 2 inches of bump stops. Of course you mentioned it's a DD street rig, so you will be fine. It sure is beefy!
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #36
Gearhead231
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sooooo How far are you today?
Cherokee Creto-This is my cherokee... there are many like it but this one is mine, I will love my cheroke form the day of ownership untill the day it dies, I promise to modd it and beat it after said mods... i promise to treat all other cherokee owners as family even though they are complete strangers.... and promise to jeep on forever
Gearhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #37
woodpd
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thing looks realy good.. whos shop is that..
woodpd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #38
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks paraleyes and this is all in my dads shop. and to answer your question chris it turns out bob thought that this bumper would look better on a jeep made for offroading....so now i have a new bumper! the first thing we did was start on the brush guard. And today after i found out this was mine i started on longer unibody tie ins that get three more bolts and the last one is sleved for extra protection. pictures coming soon in a couple minutes
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #39
polizi212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
thanks paraleyes and this is all in my dads shop. and to answer your question chris it turns out bob thought that this bumper would look better on a jeep made for offroading....so now i have a new bumper! the first thing we did was start on the brush guard. And today after i found out this was mine i started on longer unibody tie ins that get three more bolts and the last one is sleved for extra protection. pictures coming soon in a couple minutes
Pictures? your couple minutes are up!!! LOL its been almost an hour!
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #40
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah sorry everybody photo bucket is slow on my wireless internet1 17 of 38
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #41
polizi212

Quote:
Yeah sorry everybody photo bucket is slow on my wireless internet1 17 of 38
Time to fire your IT guy! LOLOL
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #42
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well the original intentions of this project were a nice strong bumper that would look good and be functional as well
If that was your goal, you failed. The welds make me want to vomit, 1/4" is way too thick, the tie ins make me scared for the lives of all those around you and it kills your approach angle like Ted Bundy killed young women. But hey, you tried right?
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #43
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
If that was your goal, you failed. The welds make me want to vomit, 1/4" is way too thick, the tie ins make me scared for the lives of all those around you and it kills your approach angle like Ted Bundy killed young women. But hey, you tried right?
Yes i did try. Do you just go into people threads to bash on them? Lets see you make something yourself with no money no time and no previous experience. Im 18 and im glad your so proud of your expertise and that your head is shoved so far up your own *** that you cant smell your own stink. And trust me it is strong. If you are not going to offer constructive critisicm you can go take your perfect little jeep and stay the H*** out of my thread. Thank you and have a nice day.
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #44
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I must say 1/4" IS indeed overkill. 3/16 would have been plenty adequate, especially for the overall girth of the thing. Not to mention almost every single aftermarket bumper manufacturer uses 3/16 for the entire bumper and only 1/4" for the winch plate. You could've saved alot of money going with a thinner metal, and not sacrificed rigidity. The welds look great, the overall fabrication of it seems pretty good. But i agree on the tie in brackets, you should have extended those things in further. Also, why did you guys decide to have the corners, and the sides stick so far out? Now you've got these HUGE gaps between the corner of the body, and the bumper. I would have brought the "sides" in to be flush with the side of the body. JCR did a good job if this in their design of their front bumpers. Take a look at these: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ntNewPics2.jpg
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ontNewPics.jpg
I'd cut those "canards" you have going there right off and bring 'em in if I were you. Everything else looks great. I love the edges, and angles. Not bad tho for a first attempt.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #45
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I made bumper tie in brackets today that bring the total bolt count up to six. here is the new pictures....

Oops

Thanks everyone for you helpful input

Tags
bumpers , cherokee , custom , welding , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.