Fabbing side rails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Fabbing side rails?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Reply
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
jbudz511
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 64
Fabbing side rails?

Hey All

So I have some contacts that are welders/metal workers by trade. Has anyone fabbed their side steps/sliders for their XJ? If so does anyone have specs on it and how they attached it to their Jeep? I'm not looking to drop a big chunk of change on a pro grade slider because I don't really plan on doing any heavy off roading/crawling (at least at this point anyway) I'm looking more for functionality out of this.

Thanks for your anticipated help!

jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
ibjeepin95
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudz511 View Post
Hey All

So I have some contacts that are welders/metal workers by trade. Has anyone fabbed their side steps/sliders for their XJ? If so does anyone have specs on it and how they attached it to their Jeep? I'm not looking to drop a big chunk of change on a pro grade slider because I don't really plan on doing any heavy off roading/crawling (at least at this point anyway) I'm looking more for functionality out of this.

Thanks for your anticipated help!
Sliders should mount to the unibody rails and the pinch seam for best support. Take a look at companies like JCR and AJ's for examples.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Motorcharge
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 11,758
Best bet is welding them on, but you can drill and put self tapping bolts into the frame rails as well. Cheap as hell to make too.
__________________
|Project Motörcharge|
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Hussler
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: utica, new york
Posts: 5,288
For 50 bucks you can have my lag on sliders, they were good for small stuff but flexed too much when taking the full weight of the Jeep.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Sometimes a restoration project is a labor of love, at which point cost, time, and labor involved become irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
jbudz511
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
For 50 bucks you can have my lag on sliders, they were good for small stuff but flexed too much when taking the full weight of the Jeep.
hmm possibly, do you have pics?
jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Hussler
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: utica, new york
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudz511 View Post
hmm possibly, do you have pics?
They look exactly like these but rusty, im sure if you close your eyes you can imagine them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/73016_801.htm
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Sometimes a restoration project is a labor of love, at which point cost, time, and labor involved become irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
jbudz511
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
They look exactly like these but rusty, im sure if you close your eyes you can imagine them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/73016_801.htm
gotcha, well don't hold em for me if your looking to get rid of em, but I will let ya know.
jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.