Exhaust? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Exhaust?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #46
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When I was in school I did a few dyno pulls with a school car(supercharged miata), with a cat, and some with a test pipe. The car lost power with the test pipe, as will most jeeps since the 4.0 loves backpressure. All removing it is good for, is making it loud and raspy. Imho not worth the huge fine, and impound(in nj). Espc around here with anything modded they look for it.

Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
pumpkinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #47
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92xj View Post
I know what you mean and you probably think im the guy running no cat and a flowmaster 10, but the point is I put a dynomax super turbo on it and unless I have the pedal to the floor it barely sounds different then stock and it isn't loud at all
Nah man I don't think that at all. I'm the 21 year old kid whos had countless loud exhausts. I actually just took my flowmaster 40 off and switched to a dynomax super turbo yesterday because I was tired of campus police bothering me. Taking the cat off won't really make the exhaust much louder. I hate to tell you how often I've changed my exhaust. Changing the muffler is the only thing that will make it noticeably louder. Sounds like a cheap cat and a flowmaster or magnaflow is better for your needs if you want loud.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #48
Jeepy84
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
Your going to set a check engine light...they make cat simulators that plug in where the 2nd o2 sensor goes. Or you could just weld a pipe in and tune the o2 out of the computer.
Actually I've had that wire snipped for the better part of two years with no CEL from it, only from engine "misfires" that actually aren't misfires. I have the Magnaflow high-flow cat though, the 4.0 runs terrible without as was mentioned before, back pressure.
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #49
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
Nah man I don't think that at all. I'm the 21 year old kid whos had countless loud exhausts. I actually just took my flowmaster 40 off and switched to a dynomax super turbo yesterday because I was tired of campus police bothering me. Taking the cat off won't really make the exhaust much louder. I hate to tell you how often I've changed my exhaust. Changing the muffler is the only thing that will make it noticeably louder. Sounds like a cheap cat and a flowmaster or magnaflow is better for your needs if you want loud.
I dont want it loud. I just got the dynomax cat back because my tailpipe had a hole in it and at the time dynomax had a nice rebate on the system, so i ended up getting a cat back exhaust for the price of the tailpipe.
david92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #50
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92xj View Post
I dont want it loud. I just got the dynomax cat back because my tailpipe had a hole in it and at the time dynomax had a nice rebate on the system, so i ended up getting a cat back exhaust for the price of the tailpipe.
How long have you had the dynomax? They take awhile to break in and get deeper. At least 5,000 miles or so. I had one previously and by the time it rusted off (not long here in CT) it sounded really good. My new one is probably quieter than the stock muffler right now.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #51
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
How long have you had the dynomax? They take awhile to break in and get deeper. At least 5,000 miles or so. I had one previously and by the time it rusted off (not long here in CT) it sounded really good. My new one is probably quieter than the stock muffler right now.
I don't remember the mileage when i put it on, but probably around 1-2k is on it.
david92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , cherokee , exhaust , inline 6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.