Exhaust? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Exhaust?

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #31
NGHTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So has anyone removed their cat? I have a 98 TJ that i want to do an exhaust on but i HATE cat's (the animal kind too ) and want to remove it but when i looked at it there is an O2 sensor between the cat and muffler which i dont know what to do with.....I was thinking cut exhaust pipe before cat and after muffler then remove both with 02 sensor between them and the cut O2 sensor section out and weld in after the new muffler??? would this cause problems to how the sensor reads and mess up how the engine runs?

Thanks! Nick

NGHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #32
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGHTJ View Post
So has anyone removed their cat? I have a 98 TJ that i want to do an exhaust on but i HATE cat's (the animal kind too ) and want to remove it but when i looked at it there is an O2 sensor between the cat and muffler which i dont know what to do with.....I was thinking cut exhaust pipe before cat and after muffler then remove both with 02 sensor between them and the cut O2 sensor section out and weld in after the new muffler??? would this cause problems to how the sensor reads and mess up how the engine runs?

Thanks! Nick
i dont have a cat, but i bought it that way. you gotta make sure its not illegal in your state. it sounds way better without it though
david92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGHTJ

Thanks! Nick
Your going to set a check engine light...they make cat simulators that plug in where the 2nd o2 sensor goes. Or you could just weld a pipe in and tune the o2 out of the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92xj

i dont have a cat, but i bought it that way. you gotta make sure its not illegal in your state. it sounds way better without it though
It's illegal in every state...federal law to have one on any vehicle 1975 model year to present.
Empty_Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #34
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, mods get touchy in threads about removing the cat...
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #35
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just had the high flow cat and super 44 installed yesterday on my '01 XJ. Sounds a lot better than it did, but I am a bit underwhelmed. Do these "break in" over time? Would a 2 1/2" exhaust make that big of a difference over a 2 1/4?
Vacabck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #36
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
It's illegal in every state...federal law to have one on any vehicle 1975 model year to present.
in michigan they dont have emissions testing and they dont enforce that law, unless your vehicle is rediculously loud, they would tell you to get a new muffler
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #37
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92xj

in michigan they dont have emissions testing and they dont enforce that law, unless your vehicle is rediculously loud, they would tell you to get a new muffler
Still dosent change the fact that the cop can give u a pretty hefty ticket for it.
Empty_Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #38
NGHTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok so then i will leave it on.....

thanks
NGHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #39
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
Still dosent change the fact that the cop can give u a pretty hefty ticket for it.
well even if that happened, it didnt have one when i bought it, so if a cop has a problem with it then they can buy the cat for me.
i only know one person who ever got pulled over around here for a loud vehicle and he didnt even get a ticket. they just told him he needed a quieter muffler
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #40
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92xj View Post
well even if that happened, it didnt have one when i bought it, so if a cop has a problem with it then they can buy the cat for me.
i only know one person who ever got pulled over around here for a loud vehicle and he didnt even get a ticket. they just told him he needed a quieter muffler
You're probably already aware, regardless of your vehicle's condition it's your responsibility to make it roadworthy not the cop who pulls you over.

You'd probably get away with it if that's what you were asking, but it's people cutting corners on their rigs which give the hippies the ammo they need to get stricter regulations...
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #41
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
You're probably already aware, regardless of your vehicle's condition it's your responsibility to make it roadworthy not the cop who pulls you over.

You'd probably get away with it if that's what you were asking, but it's people cutting corners on their rigs which give the hippies the ammo they need to get stricter regulations...
x2. Its also kind of selfish to take your cat off. Your exhaust might be louder but you are also leaving a fume trail for the car behind you.

Also, telling a cop that your vehicle came without a cat so its not your problem almost guarantees you a ticket or fine. Ignorance is never a good excuse.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
x2. Its also kind of selfish to take your cat off. Your exhaust might be louder but you are also leaving a fume trail for the car behind you.

Also, telling a cop that your vehicle came without a cat so its not your problem almost guarantees you a ticket or fine. Ignorance is never a good excuse.
You can't really call me selfish if I never messed with it.
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92xj View Post
You can't really call me selfish if I never messed with it.
I wasn't talking to you specifically, but you certainly ARE aware that its supposed to be there and that it doesn't have one. I'm not saying its your fault it didn't come with one, but blaming the previous owner for why it doesn't have one now is kind of silly.

You aren't really helping yourself either though, since you are breathing in the fumes as well. A louder "look at me" exhaust isn't really a good trade off don't ya think? For what its worth they make "racing" and high flow spun cats that flow really well. There is a forum floating around (tuner forum maybe?) that did a sound test between a "test pipe" where the cat was and a high flow cat and there was almost no difference. The cat even made the exhaust sound a tad deeper since it acts as a resonator. These can be had for fairly cheap on ebay. I'm not a tree hugger, but I hate when I'm following a car that has no cat and is spreading fumes to those behind it. Other drivers on the road are considerate of those behind them and run cats on their vehicles.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #44
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
I wasn't talking to you specifically, but you certainly ARE aware that its supposed to be there and that it doesn't have one. I'm not saying its your fault it didn't come with one, but blaming the previous owner for why it doesn't have one now is kind of silly.

You aren't really helping yourself either though, since you are breathing in the fumes as well. A louder "look at me" exhaust isn't really a good trade off don't ya think? For what its worth they make "racing" and high flow spun cats that flow really well. There is a forum floating around (tuner forum maybe?) that did a sound test between a "test pipe" where the cat was and a high flow cat and there was almost no difference. The cat even made the exhaust sound a tad deeper since it acts as a resonator. These can be had for fairly cheap on ebay. I'm not a tree hugger, but I hate when I'm following a car that has no cat and is spreading fumes to those behind it. Other drivers on the road are considerate of those behind them and run cats on their vehicles.
I know what you mean and you probably think im the guy running no cat and a flowmaster 10, but the point is I put a dynomax super turbo on it and unless I have the pedal to the floor it barely sounds different then stock and it isn't loud at all
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #45
95tealxj

I love me some flowmaster pipes!
95tealxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , cherokee , exhaust , inline 6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.