Ever Have Deep, Dark Thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Ever Have Deep, Dark Thoughts?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ever Have Deep, Dark Thoughts?

Been doing alot of thinking lately. I have had my current XJ for about 6 years now. Only has 154k on it and have done lots of work to it, but its getting to the point now to where things are wearing out and I don't have the money I used to (mortgage and car payment now) to be able to just throw money at it anymore. Been really thinking about selling it and just getting something good on gas and more fun to drive.

I feel like, it would cost too much for me to get my jeep where I want it for a daily driver.

I bought a 2013 mazda 3 for my wife to drive and we drive it on the weekends and my Jeep sits and I drive my jeep during the week back and forth to work and I just cant stand it. I also dont have heat and can't afford to put out the money it would cost to get it fixed and damn sure don't have the patients to do it myself.

I love my jeep to death and don't want to get rid of it, but I have just lost interest in spending my weekends working on stuff when what I really want to do is spend time with friends/family.

I love to look at it and I love talking to people about it, but as soon as I get behind the wheel of it...it just nerves me.

Keeping it and getting something else really just isn't in the works for right now...my wife and I are trying to cut back on our bills.

My plan is....I could possibly get rid of it and be a one car family for a little bit (which wouldnt really pose a problem because the wife and I work like 3 miles away from each other and about 3 miles from home) until I found something to buy.

Just hate the thought of getting rid of something I have spent so much time and money on. but then sometimes I feel like its time to grow up and do what you gotta do to make your life easier.....

Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sell it. There will be lots of people on the forum who may feel stronger about you keeping it.

If it causes you stress, cut it loose.

In the end, yes it may be a Jeep, but it is just a vehicle.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Times are tough now a days and money is tighter today then in the past for most of us. I was in your boat about 8 years ago. I sold my XJ and did the whole economy car thing. Now I've got another XJ & drive my VW Jetta to& from work. It makes driving the XJ more fun on the weekends & not worried about scratches & dings. Plus both of my vehicles are paid for now.

You may want another Jeep down the road, as long as it won't be a wrangler, it'll be affordable as a Weekend wheeler.

Sell it, if that'll calm your nerves, or just use your wife's car & take the XJ off the road till you wanna have some fun with it again.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
The_War_Wagon
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Ever Have Deep, Dark Thoughts?
Like Jack's evil brother - Crack Handy?
Unread 08-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr View Post
Times are tough now a days and money is tighter today then in the past for most of us. I was in your boat about 8 years ago. I sold my XJ and did the whole economy car thing. Now I've got another XJ & drive my VW Jetta to& from work. It makes driving the XJ more fun on the weekends & not worried about scratches & dings. Plus both of my vehicles are paid for now.

You may want another Jeep down the road, as long as it won't be a wrangler, it'll be affordable as a Weekend wheeler.

Sell it, if that'll calm your nerves, or just use your wife's car & take the XJ off the road till you wanna have some fun with it again.
Thought about just not driving it for a while, but I think that will just cause me to let it sit and neglect it even more. I mean even with my just driving the jeep back and forth to work and a few places here and there while Im at work..I'm still spending 20 bucks a week in gas.

With colder weather coming up as well...I absolutely DREAD driving to and from work in the cold with no heat....
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I can understand, Id probably feel the same way if I still drove mine to work. The gas sipping DD mod is the best thing you can do to support a Jeep modding habit. If thats not really in the cards for you then Id say sell it, though good ones will only become harder to find down the road if you want another.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Seems to me you're the kind of person who is looking for excuses to get rid of it....and I know because we can smell our own. I looked around NC (only as far up as Hickory/Lenoir though) when I was XJ shopping and they seem to move pretty good up there. You don't have to feel like you have to be a "insert-product-here-er for life" on anything. Hell, I've owned as many as four motorcycles at one time and am now completely out of it....sold my last one a couple of years ago and haven't missed it for a minute.
SSellers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSellers View Post
Seems to me you're the kind of person who is looking for excuses to get rid of it....and I know because we can smell our own. I looked around NC (only as far up as Hickory/Lenoir though) when I was XJ shopping and they seem to move pretty good up there. You don't have to feel like you have to be a "insert-product-here-er for life" on anything. Hell, I've owned as many as four motorcycles at one time and am now completely out of it....sold my last one a couple of years ago and haven't missed it for a minute.
Well I do have jeep in my blood. Was my first car and this is my second XJ and so its a big part of who I am. I have met alot of good people along the way and while I DON'T want to get rid of it...I cant stand to drive it for more than a couple of miles. I guess I could just try to save and get some things done to it along the way....but I feel that the next couple of years are going to be more hectic than the last couple (probably going to have a kid)

BUT.....my problem is...I CANNOT drive a stock car....I have to do things to it to make it mine. So If I got something...I would probably buy something that was already modded....I haven't made up my mind yet....I can't imagine not having my jeep anymore.....
Unread 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeekid88 View Post
Well I do have jeep in my blood. Was my first car and this is my second XJ and so its a big part of who I am. I have met alot of good people along the way and while I DON'T want to get rid of it...I cant stand to drive it for more than a couple of miles. I guess I could just try to save and get some things done to it along the way....but I feel that the next couple of years are going to be more hectic than the last couple (probably going to have a kid)

BUT.....my problem is...I CANNOT drive a stock car....I have to do things to it to make it mine. So If I got something...I would probably buy something that was already modded....I haven't made up my mind yet....I can't imagine not having my jeep anymore.....
That doesn't make much sense. No point in selling a modded vehicle because it is getting too expensive, only to buy and mod another vehicle. There are vehicles that cost A LOT more to mod than a Jeep. What bugs you about the Jeep? If you can't stand it for more than a few miles something is obviously wrong with it. Mod the Jeep how you want it since you already own it. I bet the heater core is probably clogged, so that isn't too hard to fix.

You say you want to save on bills yet you "CANNOT drive a stock car". Unless you sell the Jeep for a stock gas sipper car I can't see it making much financial sense. The Jeep is paid for, easy to fix, etc. A modded car will only end up costing you money, just like the Jeep.

I'm not your dad, but you say you want to have a family soon. This is part of growing up, you have to make these kind of decisions. What is more important to you? A cool modded vehicle or supporting a family? Just stuff to think about. Times are tough and they don't seem to be getting any easier. I wish you luck man.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post

I'm not your dad, but you say you want to have a family soon. This is part of growing up, you have to make these kind of decisions. What is more important to you? A cool modded vehicle or supporting a family? Just stuff to think about. Times are tough and they don't seem to be getting any easier. I wish you luck man.
what? haha are you saying you cant afford a jeep and a family? haha
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
HokieAirman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sell it. Pay off the other car. Put some savings away where you can't get at it easily, then pay cash for a different XJ.

The only way I wouldn't sell the Jeep is if you plan to buy an expensive gas-sipper. If you're going to sell the jeep and buy a $1000 camry, then go for it and keep at least $1000 on-hand to pay for repairs.

The best way to stay on top of things when times are tough is 1) make a ton of money or 2) stay out of debt...sounds like your car payment is sucking the joy out of your life.

Of course, the final option is to sell both the Jeep and the Mazda and both of you get beaters until you've got some positive net worth besides the mortgage.

There is nothing that you own as a possession that you can't afford to sell unless it's truly some heirloom, but then again, its still just a thing.

Good luck with your decision. I don't envy it.
1975 J10 Pickup - Bought in 2013
HokieAirman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Worktruck
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ride a bike to work, (mountain bike of course,) save the gas money and swap in an XJ engine... Jaguar XJ engine, the v12. Boom, not boring.
Worktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
Jake_A

Im going to agree with the bike thing, if youre only 3 miles from work, a bit of cardio wont kill ya. Then do the "1 car family" thing for the winter and slowly fix up the xj as you can afford it.
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Personally, I wouldn't be good with one car for my family. Vehicles are finicky sometimes, albeit reliable, you just never know what will happen from one day to the next.

I don't see how selling your Heep will save you on bills. I'd keep it. Nickle and dime it instead of letting it nickle and dime you. Fix what needs fixing when it needs fixing. Slowly put together a solid Cherokee. It only has to get you 6 miles round trip for work.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

When I say a modded car, Im talking like a civic hatch or something...little bit lowered, some nice looking wheels, something I can drive and have fun with...not going to give up my jeep for something that I can't stand to look at or hate driving unless I HAVE to.

We are just trying to find different angles at which we can cut some costs....we are not bad off, but are spending more money than we think we should be and are trying to get some priorites underway and stop living like we are 20 still.
Selling the jeep for 4k and buying a civic for 3k....filling up the tank for $35 and is lasting me over a month of just driving back and forth to work vs. $60a month for gas in the Jeep.

I have thought about it though and will just continue to drive the jeep and keep it....save and just fix the things that are wrong with it and hopefully turn it back into something that can be driven daily without pissing me off.

I do love it, I just want to love it as much driving it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.