Engine Bay Cleanup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Engine Bay Cleanup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
JeepDude08
2003 XJ Cherokee 

Engine Bay Cleanup

Well it's that time of the year again, beautiful weather, lots of sun. So I figured what better opportunity to do some spring cleaning and I was just wondering some ways you guys use to clean your engine bays?

JeepDude08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler Level 2

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Scrubbing bubbles
MOBBiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
FredBull
F-ing A, Cotton

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have used several different products for different engine bays in various stages of dirtiness.

Super Clean, Purple Power, or Simple Green. They all do about the same thing. I like Super Clean because its pretty cheap, and gets the job done.

Gel type engine degreaser. I like this stuff over the regular degreaser because it doesn't drip off as fast and cleans really well.

On really super greasy areas, I like to let the degreaser sit for a while. Then pressure wash (be careful of electronics and such.) Then use Super Clean, and a brush, and then the garden hose pressure to rinse. This gets things pretty damn clean.
FredBull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Cage583
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just sprayed the entire bay down with Gunk engine degreaser and pressure washed it. I used an electric pressure washer (pretty cool thing, and lower pressure) and was careful not to spray too long on any caps or seals. Especially brake master cylinder reservoir. But over all, looks tremendously better. Not shiny but not growing anymore...

'92 Cherokee 4L HO 4x4
P-Pocket
Cage583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

scrape as much oil off as I can with a screwdriver. Degrease the block with brake clean and a brass brush then kerosene.
Dawn dish soap and water for the rest
FairlanePhil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
00_GA_XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

C'mon post some before and after pics! I haven't cleaned mine in about a year when I did the spark plugs back in 14. But my process is usually an engine degreaser (napa) and simple green diluted with water....on top of it. I spray it down...give it 10 minutes... then spray it again. Then I start scrubbing with both a nasty car washing mitt I have for engines. Maybe a brush too if there are hard to reach places. I have a few different brushes, mostly house cleaning brushes (like bathroom and tub, etc) and even a toilet brush that I bought strictly for cleaning engines... don't worry it never sees inside bathroom duty, lol. Here is an after pic of my Jeep...
20140615_105733.jpg  
00_GA_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Cage583
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did t get a before picture but it had fuzz growing on it and was black with grease. Now it pretty and none of what's there will come off even if rubbed. :/ but it's still pretty nice

'92 Cherokee 4L HO 4x4
image-2647123389.jpg

P-Pocket
Cage583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
kippo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hoping to do mine tomorrow
kippo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
kippo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I ment to take a before shot and forgot to. I used the gunk gel and it didn't hardley do anything to it. I then used some purple power or power purple I had laying around and it worked awesome. I'll post a picture after I go back out.
kippo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Steam gun if you have access to one will work better than anything.

Super Purple is about the best degreaser I've come across. Purple Power doesn't even come close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.