EcoFriendly xj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > EcoFriendly xj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
jeepjunkie97

EcoFriendly xj?

Burned my hand on my black roof today. Gave me the idea of putting solar panels on, but not sure what to do with the power from it. Any suggestions?

jeepjunkie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

http://driveev.com/jeepev/home.php

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
jeepjunkie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
Haa, definitely a unique build...
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Worktruck
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Heated seats
Worktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sunny day in summer? Route the power to a ventilation fan to keep the inside of the Jeep from getting so freakin' hot. Sunny day in winter? Switch the panels to power heated seats (but only when you're there; heating elements running full-time with no one there could be very hazardous). Well, maybe not. I'd imagine heating elements would require more electricity than solar could provide especially in winter. I've seen people do solar ventilation, though--it really does keep interior temps down when the vehicle is parked in the sun.
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
jeepjunkie97

Quote:
Sunny day in summer? Route the power to a ventilation fan to keep the inside of the Jeep from getting so freakin' hot. Sunny day in winter? Switch the panels to power heated seats (but only when you're there; heating elements running full-time with no one there could be very hazardous). Well, maybe not. I'd imagine heating elements would require more electricity than solar could provide especially in winter. I've seen people do solar ventilation, though--it really does keep interior temps down when the vehicle is parked in the sun.
The ventilation could peak my interest. Please explain more? I can imagine a thermometer inside set for a specific degree which once reached is wired to make a CPU fan turn on but idk if that'll really cool down the air trapped?
Unread 08-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Basically a fan mounted in the roof (they're designed for this, so no, they don't leak) that extracts the hot air. It won't keep the inside "cool," but it will keep it from reaching 500k degrees. Most of the ventilation fans out there are powered by their own small solar panels, but I'd imagine with a roof-mounted panel, you could run a really nice one. I honestly don't know what else you'd do with solar power on an XJ unless it was and electric conversion--solar just doesn't have a practical application for an ICE-powered vehicle.
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
jeepjunkie97

Quote:
Basically a fan mounted in the roof (they're designed for this, so no, they don't leak) that extracts the hot air. It won't keep the inside "cool," but it will keep it from reaching 500k degrees. Most of the ventilation fans out there are powered by their own small solar panels, but I'd imagine with a roof-mounted panel, you could run a really nice one. I honestly don't know what else you'd do with solar power on an XJ unless it was and electric conversion--solar just doesn't have a practical application for an ICE-powered vehicle.
Like a bathroom vent type of system?
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkie97
Like a bathroom vent type of system?
The better ones are like that, yeah. You can get little ones that are held in place by a rolled-up window, but they're not as good and can be a security liability. The roof mounted ones similar to household vent fans or ones that are common on RV's are nicer despite the downside of having to cut a hole in Your roof obviously.

Sent from my phone
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I suppose you could also wire it such that it runs your HVAC blower. Some Priuses have solar panels that will cycle air through the parked car using the blower, but I'd imagine that would still work best if you had somewhere high for the hot air to escape as outdoor air is blown in.

Sent from my phone
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
jeepjunkie97

Maybe get it to pulse each window motor so the windows crack and turns on an inside fan?
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hell, why settle for one or the other. Power the HVAC blower AND a roof vent fan. HVAC blows in, roof vent extracts.
Unread 08-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
jeepjunkie97

The only problem being would a solar panel truly collect and harness enough power to use these things more than a few cycles?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.