EBC Ultimax Brake Pads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > EBC Ultimax Brake Pads

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

EBC Ultimax Brake Pads

I ordered some EBC Ultimax brake pads and slotted rotors for my XJ last year and installed them and they squealed like crazy....Drove them for like a week and then took everything apart. greased them up again and still squealed...I understand that they have a brake in coating, but seems like they would not stop squealing...So I bought some Napa pads and replaced them and have been using them since, but I would like to re install the EBC pads but just don't want to go through the same thing again....Anyone else running the Ultimax pads???

Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have hawk performance ceramics and they were doing the same thing. Apparently with ceramics they have to get heated up once in awhile in order to work quietly. This is why they are recommended for heavy duty use like racing or towing. With my short commute they just weren't getting heated up enough. The squealing sound is actually from the pad vibrating when you slow down.

I used this on the back of the pads and reinstalled them. They've been quiet since.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2008_____

Make sure you put some caliper grease on the surface where the caliper slides along the knuckle.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
kyjeeper4life
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, mine jar made noise since day one. Have had them for a year still make the same noise. They stop better than any other pads I've used, have minimal break dust and make funny noises when wet hahaha guess that's what u get with Kevlar in the pads
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

but I bought the ultimax pads because they said they are for everyday driving.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
98XJmtar14
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got some dimpled and slotted rotors about 2 months or so ago and my pads werent seating correctly in the caliper so after a huge headache i took it to brakes plus just to get it fixed but the way they explained all that to me before I got my jeep back was that its kindof like one extreme or the other, pads that you have to change more frequently but are quiet or really great long lasting pads but they will always squeak. I slammed on the brakes everytime i stopped for like a week trying to get past the squeaky stage but they still make noise, usually when I am almost completely stopped so its not horrible. And I am not sure how accurate what brakes plus told me is so take it with a grain of salt but these are the best/noisiest pads Ive ever had so there is some truth to it I guess

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.