Ebay headers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Ebay headers?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ebay headers?

Im in the market for some good headers over the stock ones I have now that I believe are cracked (cant pinpoint the location but the motor is behaving like it) I amlso looking for power gains.
I found these on ebay but for something this cheap I feel like it's too good to be true. Can anyone give me the skinny on these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUBULAR-EXHA...ht_4077wt_1399

TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The headers with the expansion joints seem to last the longest on the 4.0

Like a wise man once said...."If it seems to good to be true....it probably is."

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm... Good to know. Thank you, I will keep that in mind.
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've been running a set of $150 stainless headers on my 4.0l XJ for about 1.5 years now, and they are still working just fine. No signs of any cracks. I can't swear that they make a huge difference, but like the OP, I had some symptoms that I (correctly) assumed were caused by a cracked manifold (mainly a drop in MPG from 24 to about 18 on a long road trip). FWIW, my headers don't have an expansion joint, but I wouldn't say that having one isn't a good idea (oops, double negative alert).
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
I've been running a set of $150 stainless headers on my 4.0l XJ for about 1.5 years now, and they are still working just fine. No signs of any cracks. I can't swear that they make a huge difference, but like the OP, I had some symptoms that I (correctly) assumed were caused by a cracked manifold (mainly a drop in MPG from 24 to about 18 on a long road trip). FWIW, my headers don't have an expansion joint, but I wouldn't say that having one isn't a good idea (oops, double negative alert).
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will do some research on the company and see what I can find. Its good to know that I might not need to spend elevendyhundred dollars on an upgrade header. BTW, how did you find your crack? I can't find a crack anywhere but it has all the symptoms
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Xjsean06030209
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm with holder350, definately get the expansion joints and if you want to make them last even longer brace your exhaust better, if your trying to save money I got mine shipped for under 80 $ about a year ago and have had no problems with them, I didn't notice any performance difference but I definately had a better idle "an issue if been chasing for months" it was cracked enough to where it effected the idle pretty bad along with mpg. Welding it is only a temp. Fix Theyll just keep cracking, i foun mine with a little mirror but they are usually where all the tubes meet up at the "y" and im sure you will find more if you take the intKe manifold off, but I had no probs with ebay. I'll try and find the brand for you.
Xjsean06030209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

OK, I'll whip out the little mirror and inspect. My idle could be smoother but its not to bad but I have seen an incredible drop in MPG. No ticking sound yet. Its the original manifold with 167,000 on it so I'll be damned if it isn't cracked with even a hairline one. Thanks for the lookup.
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My experience was similar - I didn't hear any particular exhaust leak (the 4.0l I6 isn't the quietest motor in the world), but the sudden drop in mileage led me to believe that was the issue. I had new(ish) multi-hole injectors and O2 sensors, and generally keep up the maintenance on my 200,000+ mile XJ. Also, I had recently had a left motor mount failure, which no doubt stressed the under-designed and over-old manifold. Besides, there was little down side - even if I didn't find a crack when I pulled the old manifold (and I did) I would end up with a stainless steel header... what's not to like? FWIW, it's still nice and shiny with no signs that it's likely to "wear out" any time soon. And my XJ went back immediately to getting 24mpg on the road (with 31" tires, 3" of lift, a 5-speed and stock 3.07 gears, so I'm turning 2,000rpm at 75mph).
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap.... new headers just got put to the top of my list. Thanks for the info. Did you notice any change in engine temp or performance or sound. What model header are you running?
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's hard to say how much difference the header makes over a healthy cast iron manifold, since mine replaced a cracked manifold. But it did seem like the engine ran a bit smoother, and it certainly didn't hurt my mileage at all. In the end, with the price of gas being what it is - and given how much our beloved XJs drink - it's likely that a slight improvement in exhaust flow would HAVE to pay off a modest investment in a header. I'm basing my premise on the fact that the headers LOOK like they'd have lower restriction than the (horrible) cast iron exhaust manifolds, though I'm not likely to rent time on a flow bench to prove that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.