E-15 to replace E-10? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > E-15 to replace E-10?

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Reply
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #31
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
the bad heads in the penta tick has nothing to do with fuel. I am sure Jeep would love to blame the fuel, void the warranty.

I can get 100octain unleaded, or 105 octain LEADED at about any gas station here. The latter is about 7;50$ a gallon. Just pony up.
I own a 2012 Wrangler with those so called "bad" Pentastar heads.
I used Real gas, and used the proper detailed "break-in" procedures that were in the Jeep's owners manuel.
At 16k miles,my Petastar engine is as/or more quiet that the ones I have seen with the head replacements.
I guess you could be correct, on the gas thing, but I have the Jeep to prove my points

$7.50 a gal???? hello. lol

Peace.

94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
$7.50 a gal???? hello. lol
If you've got an engine that takes leaded, 100LL avgas is a little cheaper (~$6.50/gal) at most GA (general aviation) airports but it still isn't exactly "cheap". And since it isn't "legal" for on-road use you have to pump into cans, though the same applies to leaded racing fuel. Of course once you take it off-site you can do whatever you want with it.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #33
slickrocksteve
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: , california
Posts: 237
Unless you are in the great state of "Kalifornia". Where not all the nuts and fruits are on the trees,
If you get caught with leaded gas, even in your lawn mower, you are subject to a nasty visit from the AQMD.
And, I would bet they stick your Jeep, Truck, cars, weedwhacker....etal. Just to prove that you are a scofflaw.

Ain't the EPA grand?
I live in a very sensitive area for smog, and yes, I do remember the days you could not breathe because of the smog.
But adding alcohol, and other junk to our fuel causes the vehicles to use more fuel, so the amount of hydrocarbons, and CO2 would I think remain the same.
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #34
5-90
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA, Hammerspace
Posts: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
If you've got an engine that takes leaded, 100LL avgas is a little cheaper (~$6.50/gal) at most GA (general aviation) airports but it still isn't exactly "cheap". And since it isn't "legal" for on-road use you have to pump into cans, though the same applies to leaded racing fuel. Of course once you take it off-site you can do whatever you want with it.
When did AvGas become outlawed on the street? I used to fill my Bug up with 112LL at Aretz years ago - had the heads mightily shaved, wouldn't even idle right on anything less than 100LL...

Ran like a raped ape on 110LL, 112LL, 120LL, and even 130LL when I could find it!
__________________
"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
When did AvGas become outlawed on the street? I used to fill my Bug up with 112LL at Aretz years ago - had the heads mightily shaved, wouldn't even idle right on anything less than 100LL...

Ran like a raped ape on 110LL, 112LL, 120LL, and even 130LL when I could find it!
Leaded gasoline of any kind has been illegal for on-road use since 1996 (as per EPA). Leaded gas is still legal for off-road use though (in most states).

Officially using leaded gas on public roads carries a maximum fine of $10,000 though it is not well enforced in most areas.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #36
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 295
Just heard the 15 % ethanol will soon replace the 10% current blend You guys like I that own old Jeeps will not like that!

In my owners Manuel they state that 10% is max on the ethanol thing.

I hope the Southern States here in Windsor Va continues to sell real gas! We pay up to 50 cents more per gallon, but we get 2-4 miles more a gallon!

Corn is a food imo!
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #37
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
1991 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: , Virginia
Posts: 13,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Just heard the 15 % ethanol will soon replace the 10% current blend You guys like I that own old Jeeps will not like that!

In my owners Manuel they state that 10% is max on the ethanol thing.

I hope the Southern States here in Windsor Va continues to sell real gas! We pay up to 50 cents more per gallon, but we get 2-4 miles more a gallon!

Corn is a food imo!
e15 has been around for several years. Definitely nothing new. The only stuff that I have a problem with it in is small gas equipment like lawnmowers and even then it's only a problem if you let it sit in a tank for a long period of time.
__________________
| Project Motörcharge 2.0 - MJ | June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #38
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 3,133
The only thing about this entire story of E15 going mainstream that I get stuck on is how it is a disappointing reminder that corporations and lobbyists run the country when it comes to the things that affect out day-to-day. This wouldn't be happening if the corn lobby wouldn't mislead and effectively own so many policy-makers.
__________________
Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #39
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 295
Not a fan of using Corn gas in outboard engines as well... Many feel it helps the injectors...... that is the Ethanol But I know some that disagree. And I hear some boat owners say they had to rebuild fuel components due to ethanol deteriorating the fuel system . Who knows......?

I do not care if they legislate 25% ethanol........I will just keep shelling out extra $$$ to get real fuels, and save a bacon Taco!
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2016, 01:14 AM   #40
300cpilot
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Meridian, Id
Posts: 529
Hate to say it but our voices will not be heard. For those that want to separate the ethanol there is a video for it on youtube using water.
300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #41
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 3,133
Phase-separated gas (using water to "wash" ethanol out) is contaminated and should never be used in engines. Not only does separated fuel create obvious problems, (E.G. poor performance and release of water into engine causing rusting of parts), phase separation will also distort the hundreds of other ingredients that gasoline contains. It also lowers the octane rating of the fuel.

The best thing you can do is to keep your fuel fresh by refueling often from busy gas stations. Never let E10 sit around for more than 3 months as it has a 90 day shelf life.

Ethanol isn't going anywhere, and we are a community of modders--consider modding your Jeep to handle E10 and E15 better instead of trying to mod the gasoline.
__________________
Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #42
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 7,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Phase-separated gas (using water to "wash" ethanol out) is contaminated and should never be used in engines. Not only does separated fuel create obvious problems, (E.G. poor performance and release of water into engine causing rusting of parts), phase separation will also distort the hundreds of other ingredients that gasoline contains. It also lowers the octane rating of the fuel.

The best thing you can do is to keep your fuel fresh by refueling often from busy gas stations. Never let E10 sit around for more than 3 months as it has a 90 day shelf life.

Ethanol isn't going anywhere, and we are a community of modders--consider modding your Jeep to handle E10 and E15 better instead of trying to mod the gasoline.
What changes would need to be made to our engine? Cuz mine runs like crap on ethanol. I've been paying for premium to avoid it. It runs great on premium though.
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #43
ravenworks
Web Wheeler
 
ravenworks's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE, Ohio
Posts: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

The same reason they charged more back in the day when they started going to unleaded gas.They charged more to not put in lead.
Lead is not added during the refining process,to make unleaded gas requires an extra step to remove lead.
It cost more because it's made in limited quantities and storage is at a premium in most refineries.
__________________
Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #44
rebelbowtie
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
What changes would need to be made to our engine? Cuz mine runs like crap on ethanol. I've been paying for premium to avoid it. It runs great on premium though.
I think you have other issues, my 2.5 and 4.0 run perfectly fine on any grade of fuel with any amount of ethanol
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #45
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 7,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post

I think you have other issues, my 2.5 and 4.0 run perfectly fine on any grade of fuel with any amount of ethanol
You'd think so, but then why does it run perfect on non-ethanol fuel?
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.