DualPurposeXJ Build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > DualPurposeXJ Build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #181
Mike934

If you kept your stock dash, could you of dropped the a pillar through, while keeping the ac in tact? Could this be done without removing the dash?
Or do you think for a decent go fast rig the bent around the dash setup would work out? Daily driven prerunner myself, I love chasing 1700s

Unread 07-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #182
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i need some opinions about how to start my engine cage my A pillar lands right about where these 2 vertical bolts are for the hood bracket so i have 3 options

heres the bracket im talking about

option 1: remove the hood brackets and run a straight tube to the A pillar inside and just use hood pins to mount the hood. the only problem i have with that is having to completely remove the hood every time i need to get to the engine bay (if i do this i will probably get a fiberglass hood)

option 2: bend the tube around the bracket on the inside. my problem with this is it would put my engine cage tube farther inside than i wanted it

option 3: bend the tube on the outside of the bracket but that would be a pretty big bend which i am trying to avoid. it would probably have to be almost a 90 degree bend

i'm leaning towards option 1 but let me know what you guys think
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #183
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

COuld you make an option 4- run the tube in location where the two vertical bolts are and relocate the hood hinge? I know stock hood hinges for a 1991 body style Ford f250 mounts to the side of the inner fender. That hinge is plenty strong for an XJ hood and has a spring built into it to hold the hood up geting rid of the hood prop.
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #184
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
If you kept your stock dash, could you of dropped the a pillar through, while keeping the ac in tact? Could this be done without removing the dash?
Or do you think for a decent go fast rig the bent around the dash setup would work out? Daily driven prerunner myself, I love chasing 1700s
ya i'm sure if you tried you could keep at least a couple ac vents. i dont think its possible to do it without removing at least part of the dash.

i think you could get away with the a pillar tubes bending around the dash, my main reason for cutting out the a pillar was so i could tie my engine cage into the internal cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
COuld you make an option 4- run the tube in location where the two vertical bolts are and relocate the hood hinge? I know stock hood hinges for a 1991 body style Ford f250 mounts to the side of the inner fender. That hinge is plenty strong for an XJ hood and has a spring built into it to hold the hood up geting rid of the hood prop.
that could possibly work, do you know where i could find some pics to see about where they go on the inner fender?

while im waiting to decide on what to do about the engine cage i decided to start on the front bumper, i started by cutting two 2" pieces of 1.75" tube and then cut out a couple of pieces of 1/8" plate with a hole saw to cap the tube

then i welded those on the frame and then cut and notched a couple of 9" tubes of 1.75" tubing and welded some tube flanges on them then tacked the tubes in place

Unread 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #185
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You can see in this pic the bottom hindge arm is bolted to the fender and has the coil hinge at the top of the photo. The second link is a pic of the whole assembley and the end with the two bolt holes goes to the hood. It may take some time figuring where to bolt it for proper opening but I have these in my F250 and they're super strong and easy to work around http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...NtiX0b1OdA.jpg http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...1&d=1327544028
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #186
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
You can see in this pic the bottom hindge arm is bolted to the fender and has the coil hinge at the top of the photo. The second link is a pic of the whole assembley and the end with the two bolt holes goes to the hood. It may take some time figuring where to bolt it for proper opening but I have these in my F250 and they're super strong and easy to work around http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...NtiX0b1OdA.jpg http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...1&d=1327544028
thanks for the info, i'll look into this

it was definitely time for some new motor mounts, both sleeves slid right out when i unbolted them
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #187
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i changed the bumper a little bit, i made it longer and added a tube going across and i might plate that tube to the crossmember
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #188
Mike934

If you don't use all those ruff stuff tabs I could use 4 just saying...
Oh and I start my cage today. I'm doing my cage through the floor & dash. I'm making my own "Barrnett style tube stiffeners" and dropping the cage through the flood on top of the tube stiffener. Its the kind hat goes from the leaf to the control. Arm mounts. Ill then plate it to the frame. The 1726 car was built like that and its actually very simple!
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #189
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
If you don't use all those ruff stuff tabs I could use 4 just saying...
Oh and I start my cage today. I'm doing my cage through the floor & dash. I'm making my own "Barrnett style tube stiffeners" and dropping the cage through the flood on top of the tube stiffener. Its the kind hat goes from the leaf to the control. Arm mounts. Ill then plate it to the frame. The 1726 car was built like that and its actually very simple!
do you have a build thread? your cage build sounds pretty cool

here's what i've come up with so far for my front bumper, i'm trying to do something a little different than the traditional tube bumper

i bent up the 2 main tubes for the engine cage

mocked up

Unread 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #190
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i hate to do this but i'm parting out the jeep, might be picking up another project tomorrow

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1109830
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #191
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

DUMB! What's the new project?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #192
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is mildly depressing.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #193
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
DUMB! What's the new project?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
That is mildly depressing.

i lost motivation and stopped working on it, it was the logical thing to do. in my head at least ha

i picked up a 85 single cab long bed ranger the other day, it needs some TLC but the price was right. it came with a fuel cell and some dana 35 TTB's and a bw1354 manual t-case i can throw on there. should be a fun little project.

Unread 03-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #194
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea ducks man .. If you were closer I would maybe get it .. Or just see if you could do a cage for me
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #195
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I'm gonna be pulling the motor in the next week or so. Is anyone interested in just the caged chassis? I'll probably ask around $400 for it. It needs some minor welding done and some surface rust cleaned up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.