DualPurposeXJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > DualPurposeXJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

DualPurposeXJ Build

So i finally decided to start a build thread after having my jeep for a couple months. im building this to be a pre-runner for my brother and I's King of the Hammers jeep we are trying to race next year.

Im building an 89 cherokee. the first thing i did was strip the interior for the cage

Then i picked up the T&J rockcrawler cage kit and before i intalled the cage i decided to paint the interior black

then i took my jeep to my buddys house to weld up the cage

got all of the roof tubes welded on the cage and started mounting 2 twisted stitch seats

then i finshed the cage and took the jeep out to truck haven and caught my bumper on a rock

so me and my brother went half on a pro tools tube bender

then we bought a welder and i started to build a new rear bumper. i decided to tie the bumper into the cage

i didnt like the first design and decided to add to it

first

second

for my build im going to be running a HP44 up front and a ford 9" in the rear. i picked up a HP44 for 350

then i went and picked up some tube with my brother. i got about 150 feet of 1 3/4 .120 wall for the rest of my cage im also gonna be starting my 4 link up front soon so i also pick up some 2" .250 wall tube for the lowers and another 20 feet of 1 3/4 120 wall for the uppers

i also got some heims. I got all 4 for 100 bucks

well when i first got this jeep the plan was to do a simple build and i decided to get the T&J cage but because im building it to be a pre-runner for KOH im going to be building a bumper to bumper cage. the T&J cage goes around the stock dash and for me to be able to ie my cage into my engine cage i need to cut and sleeve my A pillar about half way up. so today i decided to take ot the front windshield so i can start cutting up the A pillar and start removing the dash

me and my brother had a little trouble getting the glass out but we eventually got all of it out

DualPurposeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Nice work so far. I like what you are doing with the rear bumper. Look forward to more progress!
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very kool.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This is pretty cool! I love pre runners! Very nice job on the cage
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
bootht99
1990 XJ Cherokee 

this thing will be so fun to drive! are you fabbing the rear/cage bumper so theres room and easy access for a spare tire?
PURPLE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #10
bootht99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

im jealous of your talent/money/time haha Looks awesome!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconMill View Post
Nice work so far. I like what you are doing with the rear bumper. Look forward to more progress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Very kool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
This is pretty cool! I love pre runners! Very nice job on the cage
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootht99 View Post
this thing will be so fun to drive! are you fabbing the rear/cage bumper so theres room and easy access for a spare tire?
Ya and to make some room for spare parts and to get some weight behind the axle for weight distribution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
im jealous of your talent/money/time haha Looks awesome!
Talent? Haha I don't know how much talent I have im learning as I go. Oh and this is supose to be a budget build. But I do have alot of time
Unread 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Mudmouse990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looks good good fab skills
[B]90 yj 2.5l or pure power,thrush turbo, gutted cat, RC 4in lift,1" boom shackles, 33" BFG A/T's, outlaw alum rims,Rhino lined interior,overhead lights,connex 3300 cb, Homemade disco's, no rear trackbar
future mods- diamond plate rocker gaurds, fold down bus steps,home made front and rear bumpers , tube fenders, paint my doors red,possibly a winch, 302 ford or a 350 chevy, ford 8.8, cv style shaft and much more [/B]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]
Check out my build thread[/SIZE][/COLOR] [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90yj-getting-there-1155268/[/url]
[COLOR="Yellow"]My Home made Quick Disconnects Write up [/COLOR][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/[/URL]
Mudmouse990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap thats nice. Are you gonna keep it street legal, or all trail?
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmouse990 View Post
looks good good fab skills
thanks im still learning but im getting better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ View Post
Holy crap thats nice. Are you gonna keep it street legal, or all trail?
Im not 100% sure yet. I want to keep it street legal but I don't know how street legal it will be when I get done with it
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So i got to work on my jeep again a little bit today. I started by cutting out my A pillar.

then i started to take the dash apart. i didn't realize how long it would take to take the dash apart

i only got about 1/4 of the dash out until i got bored

since i go bored with the dash i decided to start the X in my B Pillar

i decided since i took out my seats i would show you guys how i mounted my seats
driver side

you can see how much i had to "massage" my transmission tunnel to get enough head room with the cage

Passenger side

and just a random picture of a heim next to a Pepsi can

and here is a picture of my bumper with a spare mounted
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great Build man, glad to see your actually going threw with it and not just talking about it...
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like some good progress. I'd recommend you put the seat tabs in double shear, instead of single like you have them. Also, any plans to add stiffeners, or plate the whole unibody? Now would be the time to do it, and you could easily tie the cage into that and really beef up the whole Jeep. How do you like that 211? I've been looking at them, but haven't been able to cough up the cash yet. Keep up the good work, I'd like to see how this turns out.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #14
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
Great Build man, glad to see your actually going threw with it and not just talking about it...
ya there is no turning back now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
Looks like some good progress. I'd recommend you put the seat tabs in double shear, instead of single like you have them. Also, any plans to add stiffeners, or plate the whole unibody? Now would be the time to do it, and you could easily tie the cage into that and really beef up the whole Jeep. How do you like that 211? I've been looking at them, but haven't been able to cough up the cash yet. Keep up the good work, I'd like to see how this turns out.
Ya I was thinking about doing double shear seat mounts before I painted them....and yes I plan to add frame stiffeners front to rear and tying my cage into the frame as many places as possible. I also plan to plate my cage to my cab as much as possible. The welder works great it was well worth the money
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i finally got the dash out today. i still need to take the heater out

then me and my bother started to strip the wiring harness. im trying to get rid of all the unnecessary wires and hopefully it will look alot cleaner when we get done. alo this is our first time wiring anything besides offroad lights so we will see how it turns out

i also decided to pull the ford 9" from the back yard and start working on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.