Drop Brackets or new LCAs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Drop Brackets or new LCAs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Drop Brackets or new LCAs

What's your preference? I'm going from 3 to 4.5/5". Long arms are down the road a ways. So what would you do? I'm not a pretty tight budget

Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get adjustables if I were you. Drop brackets would probably do it though, lots of guys here run them with high success.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ
I'd get adjustables if I were you. Drop brackets would probably do it though, lots of guys here run them with high success.
That's what I was thinking. I will probably go with whatever I find a good deal on, on the forum
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Drop brackets are fine if the XJ will be a gentle to moderate off road machine. No galloping through the the rocks or prerunning. The extra leverage they put on the lower control arm frame mounts will eventually lead to metal fatigue if the suspension is abused.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLJ View Post
Drop brackets are fine if the XJ will be a gentle to moderate off road machine. No galloping through the the rocks or prerunning. The extra leverage they put on the lower control arm frame mounts will eventually lead to metal fatigue if the suspension is abused.
I go in the rocks plenty with mine, and although I have dropped off ledges a few times and landed on them, Rocky Road Outfitters and one other drop bracket supplier go all the way back to the crossmember bolts and RRO are made of 1/4" plate thoughout. If you're worried about metal fatigue, you can stitch weld them in place.

I'd be more worried about steering box mount and rear unibody metal fatigue than LCA mounts.

Eventually Long arms will be added to my rig, but Drop brackets are performing very well at 1/2 the price.
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Mike934

Quote:
Really? Jeepspeeds prefer drop brackets because it keeps the 4 link stock setup. Wile most long arms RE radius arms which change caster throughout the travel range. Drop brackets with braces are more the strong enough for nothing you could throw at em.

Rough country's are cheapest but their braces are so short and could over time fatigue. Rocky road and rubicon express go all the way back to the cross member and I doubt you'd ever have an issue with them!
Mike934 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That is BS.

Properly installed and braced, Drop Brackets will outlast the rest of the Jeep. RR and RE use 1/4" steel for their brackets and braces.

If you have lift kit control arms for your 3" lift, you can use them with drop brackets. If you don't have aftermarket control arms, you should at least get some lowers. I have found several sets of lift kit control arms in the junkyard, and have also bought/sold several sets of used control arms.

You should keep your eyes open for some used drop brackets and some used control arms. You will want to have one set of control arms be adjustable, and you might be able to get away with both sets being non-adjustable.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
That is BS.

Properly installed and braced Drop Brackets will outlast the rest of the Jeep. RR and RE use 1/4" steel for their brackets and braces.
My recommendation is based on the purchase on the typical kit that I see installed on Jeeps I repair and disassemble; the drop brackets only and no braces installed. If the brackets are paired with the braces then go nuts. They will have enough support with that setup.
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Mike934

Quote:
My recommendation is based on the purchase on the typical kit that I see installed on Jeeps I repair and disassemble; the drop brackets only and no braces installed. If the brackets are paired with the braces then go nuts. They will have enough support with that setup.
Not being an *** towards you just wanna make a general comment..for future readers. If you buy drop brackets and have no braces..make your own or buy a set! The extra leverage gained by adding the drop brackets will litterally bend them back from the force off driving. The braces stop that from happening!
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
Not being an *** towards you just wanna make a general comment..for future readers. If you buy drop brackets and have no braces..make your own or buy a set! The extra leverage gained by adding the drop brackets will litterally bend them back from the force off driving. The braces stop that from happening!
Hehehe. I started stripping a 2001 XJ at the local junk yard today. Missing bump stops, three inch lift blocks, and the rear frame has big dents where the axle slammed into it. People do dumb things with lifts when they have no guidance.
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
Mike934

Quote:
Hehehe. I started stripping a 2001 XJ at the local junk yard today. Missing bump stops, three inch lift blocks, and the rear frame has big dents where the axle slammed into it. People do dumb things with lifts when they have no guidance.
Haha I've seen some stupid things lol. Why people do certain hings ill never know.
True story here, someone made cage braces out of fence post and the tubing itself had to be 1/8" at most. Full trophy truck bro runner. Was rolled, cage wrecked like it wasnt even there but it had some gnar gnar 6" over beams so it must of been a trophy truck. I couldn't believe it when I saw it lol. It was at a local junkyard.
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Like Tim suggested, shop around for used brackets and arms. They'll get you nearly anywhere long arms will and will ride just as good for half the price. I have never truly been stuck on mine and the only wheeling I do is either rocks or fast stuff. Been great. I even use them to slide off of ledges. For a budget minded person I recommend them. And ALL drop brackets on the market come with braces of some kind. Obviously the ones that tie into the crossbar bolts are better

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.