The Double Take Grocery Getter. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > The Double Take Grocery Getter.

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Mike934

The Double Take Grocery Getter.

92 4.0 HO, ax15/231, D30 non disco, D35 c-clip with 3.07s. Silver in color. Oem silver & gold snowflake wheels.

This build has been dubbed "the grocery getter" because it's exactly that. The double take portion is because this jeep will make you think twice about stock looking Cherokees...more on this later. My better halfs jeep. Daily driver, grocery getter, child toter. She wanted a grand, and I wouldnt mind one but it was either a 5.9er or a 93 with an aw4 trans or it wouldn't happen. Neither was found obviously. So I asked around, turns out a close friend has this for sale for 1300 out of the system for 9 years I guess. Called it in, 700 in back fees. Ended up getting it for 600 bucks
It came sagged out with decent 235/75 wide brute all seasons/mild all terrains and completely stock with some dents and dings, fading clear coat ect, usual cherokee stuff.

The plan is fix the leaks, fix the unworking windows and door handles, mileage mods, working ac & heat, sound deadening, redo interior, sound system upgrade. Thorough cleaning inside & out & underneath.
So far I'm behind on pictures. It's been lifted mildly to 2.5" already. I am currently redoing this though as the suspension didn't work as I wanted it to. Just all around flex & ride. Also the rear sat a bit low, front a bit high
Used a junkyard xj progressive lift coil that gave 3.25". Rear we added a ranger main leaf which netted 2". I'll be doing a v8 zj coil with a 5/8 isolator and swapping the xj 3rd for the ranger 3rd with a full rebuild of the leafs. For tonight this is all you guys get. I'm behind with pictures but I promise. Up get caught up in the next few days. A lot of stuff going on with this jeep currently..more upgrades and what not but those are for after I'm caught up

Anyway pictures. Stock, rear sway bar removed, front disco'd

Lifted, still disco'd. Maxing out the stock "blown" shocks.

Lifted stance.

Unread 10-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Good start. Say good bye to your wallet.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
Good start. Say good bye to your wallet.

It was gone long ago. I have a 88. D30/detriot/4.56/chromos/wj swap & 8.8 matching with an Aussie & disks. Both trussed. 33x10.5s. Custom deaver leafs, full frame plates, custom deaver coil..sits right at 3.5" tall. I've got a lot into.
Also has a stroker, and now getting a doubler
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
It was gone long ago. I have a 88. D30/detriot/4.56/chromos/wj swap & 8.8 matching with an Aussie & disks. Both trussed. 33x10.5s. Custom deaver leafs, full frame plates, custom deaver coil..sits right at 3.5" tall. I've got a lot into.
Also has a stroker, and now getting a doubler
Nice !
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Mike934

So I've really been lagging on this. Will have updates soon I promise. Motor mounts, lockers, chromos front and rear, crown HD steering. HD custom crossmember, custom shock mounting up front. Some good old maintenance and cleaning. As well as a full exhaust, intake & ported edge as within the next few months. I've got everything so far just need time to install & fab.
Next will be rocker replacement, gas tank skid, and simple front and rear bumpers with a removable winch. This is my goal to complete by march for TDS..AKA Tierra del sol.

This jeep is my wife's daily, as well as full recovery rig for all us big jeeps. Wether it be broken parts, us idiots getting hung up where we shouldn't be. Just all around mommies grocery getter/kid hauler, camping rig and recovery rig & so far everything's on a budget. And we are doing very well to keep that so far. Mine rigs on 33x10.5, locked gear & armored, 4:1, 5spees & a stroker. And close buddies on a custom flat bed mj on 35s and soon to have beadlocks, also gear, locked ect ect. Pics to come soon I promise.
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Mike934

Pics up tomorrow very busy week between this jeep & another members zj I'm helping build. Both are very mild builds.

Got the radio and 5.25" pioneers installed today. Stickers hot off the press for it. Got the rear d35C (non c-clip) axle in and brakes blead...the old fluid that came out looks like muddy lake water. Disgusting! Pedal feel is much better and I can actually get a little tire squeal now from the stopping force during a panic stop. Some pics of both axles will come tomorrow.
Also working on the doors. Only the front doors worked & only the 2 rear windows worked lol. Now 3 doors work & 3 windows work. Its a pain but a labor of love to bring the old girl back. And have a reliable working car for my other half.
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Mike934

I'm sorry for the lag guys. Quite a bit of views on this thread, so obviously there's some interest. Weeks are busy, time is short, I've got plenty of updates for ya though.

Let's start with the condition of the axles that came in it. D30/d35 c-clip, both caked with a 1/4 of dirt & engine oil..oh yes she leaks like crazy. Front brakes had 3/16-1/4" deep grooves from god knows what. 1 rotor almost worn through. The rear was metal on metal and leaking diff fluid (wheel seal). It also had a total of 4 broken wheel studs between both sides in the rear.
I knew I wanted to regear to 3.55s anyway for a poor mans regear. Turns out I had a perfectly good d35c (non c-clip) with 3.55s in the shed. Nice thing I got it for free & its practically new. Brakes, seals, and track lock rebuild & no more c-clip action.
This axle got a 1.5" .188 mild truss. Plated in with 1/8" plate. We also welded the tubes on it for reassurance. It was on hand & cheap & easy to do for the extra reassurance. On 235s and a factory track lock I doubt we'll brake it.

The front was a craigslist find. 40 bucks for a complete ready to run , caliper to caliper d30 non disco high pinion with 3.55s. I couldn't believe it, thought it would be junk. Turned out to be in amazing condition, front brakes within a couple hundred miles and brand new hubs. Bushings were toast but those were on the list of replacements anyway.
This axle got some fab action as well. 1.5" .188 wall mild truss with 1/8" plate. 1/4" outter c gussets, boxed upper control arm mount and 1/4" control arm mini skids & a trimmed track bar bracket to prevent binding at droop. Oh and some custom shock mounting copied over from the jeepspeed guys.
The axle also received a set of big joint 760 shafts & a lockrite. The stock small joint shafts are now spares.
I sold the d30 with 3.07s, with the small joint shafts for 125 & the old D35 got me its scrap weight. So far I'm into the axles for a portion of the locker cost..yes a portion. Basically bought it & the upgraded axles & what not for just over 100 bucks. Deeper gears, brand new brakes, 760 shafts, locker & LSD & a spare set of shafts for the d30.. Not to shabby ehh?
Went from, 3.07s & 215s 1900rpm cruise at 65mph to 235s & 3.55s for a 2150rpm cruise at 65mph...cheap mans regear that works perfect when you stick to 235s or 30s. don't you love simple, small & cheap builds? Souls bump me a bit in mileage as well.

A few pics of the fab work.... Looks normal right? Look closer just past the knuckle where the brake mounts...........aww some for of shock mount.

Now "double take". Custom lower shock mount, plated/boxed it all in with 1/8" for strength. You can also spy the c gussets in this picture. Sorry for the slit... Those are ruffstuff mounts, 1/4" thick and they rock! So much nicer than using tabs. We put a thick socket on the axle bolt, set ruffstuff mount on socket and tacked it. Removed socket and fully welded it in. Popped the socket back on and it works perfect, can get the bolt in and out without a struggle. Only issue Is you must remove the shock before you can remove the arm/bolt which isn't to big of a deal for me. The pros outweigh the single con by far!

Obviously it's got a long shock in there. Jks stud adapters up top with 11" travel Bilstien 5100s. You can also spy the 2" extended bump stops. At full bump, metal to metal I've got 3/4" shaft showing. At full droop I've got 10" shaft shocking. It's exactly .8 before full extension. Full droop is currently limited by the stock arms binding on the mounts which will not change. It stops the drop and it works perfectly every time! I intent to keep the stock arms 100%..remember "double take grocery getter". Stock looking but very surprising...will probably add in a set of wj arms when I find a good set..extra security with them being boxed in. Just nicer over all since she'll be on stock stuff forever...no real need to go bigger.

The lift has been changed from the original 3" setup. It was rough riding according to the other half and it needed an adjustable track bar & lowers to work properly. It's now rocking a OME 934 (v8 zj coil) with a extra 5/8" isolator for a total of 2.5" up front. In the rear its a stock HD replacement pack with a ranger main leaf added & the overload replaced with a stock xj 3rd for a bit extra weight carrying capacity. Works very & quite soft. Sits level at 2.5" above stock as well. Going to add a mj shackle I have laying here to bump it up a wee bit once the springs settle, it will also help rear flex. Its got 3" extended bumps but they don't hit at all...going to hash this out in the next few weeks so they are actual doing their job.
The rear shocks I have are Bilstein 4600 series off of a grand cherokee. I used my stock rear sway bar mount as a bpe which drops the shock mount down 1". The zj shocks are also 1.25" longer than stock, so it worked out perfectly for my lift! I'm getting good at this budget building cherokee stuff huh?
She gets her crown HD steering on this week as well. Just install a new crown replacement stock track bar.. Again keeping this stock and simple & cheap. As well as very effective offroad for what it is.
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Mike934

Ring gear all torque down. Went to 35ftlbs then 65ftlbs in a star pattern. Yes even on 3.55s in order to remove the cross pin without notching the ring gear you must remove it. Notch it or remove it are you or options.

It took us most time removing the stock cross pin than it did installing the actual locker. About 5 minutes with 2 sets of hands. Installed with a hardened cross pin.

Her she is all set home with & torque to 90ftlbs. Don't mix up your bearing caps!!!

In the above picture you can see the stock old weak steering & the brand new crown track bar. You can also spy the truss and a grey "j". Whelp this is what it says.

C gussets.

Shock mount mod. We basically cut off the entire lower shock mount until we saw 1/8" of the lower control arm mount. Then boxed it in from there. Also added 1/8" gussets to the sides of the stock control arm mount to help beef em up a little.

Truss was tacked up with flux.

But my fab guy got a 80 gallon. That's a lincoln 140 which has done almost everything so far. There is also a miller 211 on hand. My fab guy if for hire, bumpers, sliders, axle swaps ect ect. If your local give a shout!

You guys are now almost up to date with me. I owe you a few pics liked of the rear truss. The new steering once it goes on today. New flex pics in the same spot as last time to seem the improvement this lift setup has over the last 3" setup as well as stock.
And just maybe if I get lucky enough I'll be able to take the grocery getter out this weekend. Its raining now and I'm itching to test out her new axles and traction aids
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Mike934

Rain storm the last few days. A we took her out last night. Front locker preformed lovely, zj steering and what not all on. Ready for an alignment in the coming week. As usually I'm behind on pictures.
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Mike934

Well guys as promised, some more updates.

First off the only picture that saved of the mudding adventure. We had a 2wd ranger & a 2wd Tacoma. A 4wd stock Sierra. A 2wd obs style f150 on 35" generals & a Comanche on 35s. The f1 & the Sierra got stuck from messing around but otherwise a goodnight.

Now took the xj out 2 days ago and stretched her legs a little. Only casualty was a led pod mount snapped. No biggy, needs a new bumper & will just toss on some tabs for the lights. Gonna throw on another stock bumper & some tow hooks I've already got laying here.
Little flex shot. Front end is close max droop I believe, rear still has ALOT more in it. I need to fully flex her.

Same position. Front is about 1/4" from full droop, which is limited by the stock arms & control arm mount, which is a very effective limiting point lol..will be doing wj arms pretty soon, unless I find a nicer set in the junkyard. Plenty of brake line slack, over 1" before full shock extension. Truss has plenty of oil pan clearance and I'm about 3/4" before full bump. Really worked out quite nice with everything & it was very very cheap to do. Just took time.

1 pod mount gave up. You can see the new rancho steering stabilizer & the. Zj steering links, also brand new. Drives like a dream!

You may also note the amber turn signal housings. Those were clear..I ambered them with model car paint. Tamiya x26 to be exact. I love the look over full clear.

Another shot of the axle truss. Still need to grab some pics of the d35 truss. It came out very nice.

Few more of the trip. This is Stodard wells, just off Stodard wells road actually. Apple valley ca.

Little clay shooting.

Love this desert

Unread 11-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
Mike934

And now more updates. In the first flex picture you can see the muffler hanging pretty low. Hanger broke off and let the muffler just sag there. May I also add the header is also cracked, someone's welded it really nicely once and it just cracked higher. I'm aiming to solve the issue from the start.
Oh and 1 extra detail. The jeep one day just popped...back fired but not exactly, out of the exhaust. It was odd and just happened once..almost like it missed a spark revolution or dumped a bit too much fuel. It happened just after I downshifted. Well then I heard a rattling in the cat

Chunks of the cat.

Brand new piece of 2.25" flex pipe for the custom downpipe & a good used 2.5" cat from my last project jeep, in 100% perfect order. What's not shown is some 2.25" piping for the downpipe & the new to me muffler. I have 3x 90* bends and 1 45* bend. I also have a rear muffler/resonator from a newer style tahoe...the rear most resonator that hangs under their rear bumper. I will have pictures of its process obviously!

To replace the cracked stock manifold, I found a banks revolver header from a friend who had it on his tj for a bit until he flopped it. He had it coated at swain-tech. Should reduce under the hood temps as well as raise the scavenging, mileage & hopefully a bit more power...oh and should help a bit with emissions in theory.

The reason it's called the revolver. AWSOME collector design, the flange/junction is about 1/4" thick. Should be very crack resistant, especially with the piece of flex pipe added. The added benefits here are very nice for the $65 I spent. Hell coating cost triple that alone. Can tell its been coated inside and out which is very nice!

And my last step to prevent cracking is by doing the motor mounts & the trans mount which I may upgrade later, to something better than stock replacement. I found a set of currie motor mounts on craigslist never run for 20 bones. I was on them like white on rice! If these wouldn't of come up, brown dog with rubber bushings would of been bought! I personally run ironman4x4 mounts on my jeep (remember this is the wife's grocery getter) and these are a similar design. The rubber would of probably been nicer for the wife for vibes.

Ended up notching the poly bushing to fit. I also had to do this on my iron man mounts..common occurrence from what I've read.
And to finish all this off we made a 1/8" steering box brace. Yes I know its only 1/8...we braced it as well, should hold up fine for grabbing groceries. Much better than the stock aluminum junk. At this time I'm also replacing the power steering pump as well as the pressure line because it was leaking. I didn't finish it at all..it's all apart lol. Too cold, too tired. Will finish her up this weekend. Then in for smog more pictures when we get some more progression.
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
Mike934

It's finally back home. Just got her home and finished up the exhaust. Its freaking amazing! Banks 6-1, 2.25" custom downpipe that will need a bit more clearancing. And a 2.5" cat & 2.5" rear resonator off a newer tahoe. It no longer has that original jeep 4.0 sound..its more exotic sound and its lovely. A little loud but tolerable and only cost us 120 total! Flex. Pipe & header included.

I got before and after videos for you guys. Tomorrow will be oil pan, rear main, oil filter housing gaskets & o-rings. As well as an oil change. Next is 703s.
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
Mike934

Well the grocery getter is now becoming my new jeep. Selling my red one after selling & swapping a few parts. We've got 4.10 axles for her, gonna grab a new set of 31s and a rear locker. Some skids & front to rear frame plating

She got all her oil leaks fixed tonight and a fresh oil change, very dirty work but happy it's done.
Unread 12-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

A 6-to-1 header give you a sharp torque peak somewhere up high (5500 RPM maybe). Lots of guesstimating here without any real data, but I'm guessing that will be beneficial for the highway part of the "grocery getter."

Since it's becoming yours now, are you going to continue building it in the same "sleeper" style, or are you going to get more traditional with it?
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
A 6-to-1 header give you a sharp torque peak somewhere up high (5500 RPM maybe). Lots of guesstimating here without any real data, but I'm guessing that will be beneficial for the highway part of the "grocery getter."

Since it's becoming yours now, are you going to continue building it in the same "sleeper" style, or are you going to get more traditional with it?
Well my red one is big. Built 30/8.8, wj swap, custom deavers, the works. With this jeep I'm looking to stay more smaller, sleeper and all around nicer to drive.
Don't get me wrong my big red is nice and all but ive got countless hours and roughly 12000 spent. Looking to not go that route again

For this xj I'll incorporate what I've learned and keep it simple. Anyway basic goal is swap over some of my goodies(Durango box, control arms), full plates, no lift relocators, same lift on 30s. Iro track bar & skids front to rear.

There's more to all this. My xj has many parts I don't want to get rid of so those will swap over. Mainly the ax15 terminator trans which will be swapped for the stock ax15, giving me the chance to do the clutch on the grocery getter As well as my adjustable upper & lower teraflex arms the Durango box. I'd love to keep the deavers but truth is I don't want that much lift...however I have thought of pulling a few leafs out in order to keep them & not have too much lift.. Decisions decision.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.