Doors... Power to Manual - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Doors... Power to Manual

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Eagyl
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Doors... Power to Manual

I'm having some trouble with the motors for my doors' windows & locks.
Currently, only my driver's window will go all the way down and then back up, and the rear passenger door will go down 3 inches, and then I have to lift it up while holding the button up to get the window back up. After looking some, we've (me, my Jeep fanatic uncle, and my actual mechanic uncle) determined that most likely, I'll have to get new motors. With that in mind, I'm wondering what it might take to simply convert the doors to manual, mainly due to the fact that I don't really want to spend that much on new motors. With my driver's window working fine, I'll probably just leave it alone. But, I'd still like to convert the other 3 if it's not that hard to do.
Also, the power locks.... I bought the Jeep about 4 months ago now, and over time I've manage to get all but the lift gate to lock/unlock, but only manually. The power locks 'try' to lock/unlock, but have no effect. Sadly, I don't even know if the key for the ignition even works in the door locks, due to the fact that I can't get the key in. I'm pretty sure the previous owner of 10 years never locked it. So, while not really wanting to buy new motors for the locks, I was wondering about just replacing the three lock cylinders (driver's door, passenger's door, lift gate) and just going with manual locks from there. While I can easily do the locks myself and then get a locksmith to match them to my key, I was wondering if any of you would have any suggestions/opinions about this.
Yes, I have considered getting used motors from the junkyard, but I'm afraid I'd get them all hooked up only to find out they don't work.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.