doorless?????? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > doorless??????

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
If they weren't meant to be removed from the factory (and you know what I mean) you absolutely can get ticketed in PA. The law specifically states so. The XJ doors have to be modified to be removed.

If the law specifically address driving around doorless and what does and doesn't count you're not going to win in court.
if thats the case, be a smartass and make yourself a set of doors like this guy

i like to call them doorless doors (id trim a bit more than this guy though). technically its still a door

or you could make halfdoors. i made a set last summer so i could be in off camber situations and have my visability without falling out of the jeep like i did when i was doorless. i prefer them while driving on the road also.. they draw less attention from cops and people with sticky fingers.

lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
if thats the case, be a smartass and make yourself a set of doors like this guy

i like to call them doorless doors (id trim a bit more than this guy though). technically its still a door

or you could make halfdoors. i made a set last summer so i could be in off camber situations and have my visability without falling out of the jeep like i did when i was doorless. i prefer them while driving on the road also.. they draw less attention from cops and people with sticky fingers.
Like I said, you can't modify the doors in PA, they have to be stock. Being a smartass to the police generally isn't a smart idea.
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
98xjcherokee98

Well I got pulled over last night lol without doors ( it was chillie ) and I showed the cop my ny equipment laws that I had printed out he read most of the 28 pages and found that it was not illegal for me to go doorless as long as I had a driver side mirror and rearview mirror he did say he probably wont be the only one to pull me over though lol
98xjcherokee98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Meh, it's part of PA safety standards. Should a cop not be able to pull you for lights being out or other issues with your vehicle?
That's not what i'm saying. Yes, major safety issues should be taken care of, but if you want to drive your jeep with the doors off I dont see much of a problem. Just wear your seatbelt and make sure you have mirrors. Whats the difference between a wrangler with the doors off and a cherokee with the doors off?
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Umbra0101
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Call the local police station and ask.
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This is sounding like the helmet law NJ created years ago that my dad told me about. They created a law requiring ridrs to wear them but riders from nearby PA hated the law. One smart a** strapped the "skull cap" to his thigh. Was in compliance with the law but not how the law intended it to be worn
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i think its a matter of the area you live in in pa,i have seen a few cherokees driving around with no doors on a regular bais,just like fender flares i have only had one problem in one town with my tires sticking outpast the stock flares,no one else seemed to care except this one cop who would stop me everytime.
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #23
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard92XJ View Post
That's not what i'm saying. Yes, major safety issues should be taken care of, but if you want to drive your jeep with the doors off I dont see much of a problem. Just wear your seatbelt and make sure you have mirrors. Whats the difference between a wrangler with the doors off and a cherokee with the doors off?
Personally I agree, but that doesn't change the law. Other than having to modify the hinges there isn't any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra0101 View Post
Call the local police station and ask.
Better off googleing state and local laws. With thousands of laws on the books police don't always know the law like you'd think. Here in VA you only have to wear a seatbelt and have mirrors and you could go doorless on any vehicle yet I know of quite a few people who have been pulled and ticketed for it and had to fight the cop over it in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
This is sounding like the helmet law NJ created years ago that my dad told me about. They created a law requiring ridrs to wear them but riders from nearby PA hated the law. One smart a** strapped the "skull cap" to his thigh. Was in compliance with the law but not how the law intended it to be worn
That's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
i think its a matter of the area you live in in pa,i have seen a few cherokees driving around with no doors on a regular bais,just like fender flares i have only had one problem in one town with my tires sticking outpast the stock flares,no one else seemed to care except this one cop who would stop me everytime.
And unfortunately all it takes is one with nothing better to do to screw you over.
Unread 03-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
rleonard01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Put tube doors on it in case you get in an accident the jeep doesn't fold up. Wranglers and cjs the frame is made for running no doors but Cherokees were not designed the same way
rleonard01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.