doorless?????? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
lilnapsak
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
If they weren't meant to be removed from the factory (and you know what I mean) you absolutely can get ticketed in PA. The law specifically states so. The XJ doors have to be modified to be removed.

If the law specifically address driving around doorless and what does and doesn't count you're not going to win in court.
if thats the case, be a smartass and make yourself a set of doors like this guy



i like to call them doorless doors (id trim a bit more than this guy though). technically its still a door

or you could make halfdoors. i made a set last summer so i could be in off camber situations and have my visability without falling out of the jeep like i did when i was doorless. i prefer them while driving on the road also.. they draw less attention from cops and people with sticky fingers.



lilnapsak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 24 Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
if thats the case, be a smartass and make yourself a set of doors like this guy

i like to call them doorless doors (id trim a bit more than this guy though). technically its still a door

or you could make halfdoors. i made a set last summer so i could be in off camber situations and have my visability without falling out of the jeep like i did when i was doorless. i prefer them while driving on the road also.. they draw less attention from cops and people with sticky fingers.
Like I said, you can't modify the doors in PA, they have to be stock. Being a smartass to the police generally isn't a smart idea.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is online now  
post #18 of 24 Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
98xjcherokee98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 14
Well I got pulled over last night lol without doors ( it was chillie ) and I showed the cop my ny equipment laws that I had printed out he read most of the 28 pages and found that it was not illegal for me to go doorless as long as I had a driver side mirror and rearview mirror he did say he probably wont be the only one to pull me over though lol
98xjcherokee98 is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 03-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Howard92XJ
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Elmwood
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Meh, it's part of PA safety standards. Should a cop not be able to pull you for lights being out or other issues with your vehicle?
That's not what i'm saying. Yes, major safety issues should be taken care of, but if you want to drive your jeep with the doors off I dont see much of a problem. Just wear your seatbelt and make sure you have mirrors. Whats the difference between a wrangler with the doors off and a cherokee with the doors off?

92 XJ 3.5" lift, trimmed fenders, cut & folded lower quarters, 34x10.50 Swampers, JCR Stage 1 front bumper, Stage 2 rear bumper, lots of Herculiner
For Sale:v8 zj draglink, leather rear seats from 95 zj
Howard92XJ is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Umbra0101
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Big Run
Posts: 64
Call the local police station and ask.

Last night, my girl started smoking, so I slowed down and lubed her up a little.
Umbra0101 is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 PM
IDIdiesel
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: pittstown
Posts: 769
This is sounding like the helmet law NJ created years ago that my dad told me about. They created a law requiring ridrs to wear them but riders from nearby PA hated the law. One smart a** strapped the "skull cap" to his thigh. Was in compliance with the law but not how the law intended it to be worn

2015 Ford F350 crew cab, gasser
2001 Cherokee sport "AGENT ORANGE"
1991 Ford 7.3L IDI- FOR SALE
IDIdiesel is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 03-25-2012, 02:13 PM
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon
 
98muddyjeep's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hatboro PA
Posts: 1,275
i think its a matter of the area you live in in pa,i have seen a few cherokees driving around with no doors on a regular bais,just like fender flares i have only had one problem in one town with my tires sticking outpast the stock flares,no one else seemed to care except this one cop who would stop me everytime.

ah,beer the cause of and cure to all of lifes problems ...Homer J Simpson... I am the guy in the red jeep!
98muddyjeep is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard92XJ View Post
That's not what i'm saying. Yes, major safety issues should be taken care of, but if you want to drive your jeep with the doors off I dont see much of a problem. Just wear your seatbelt and make sure you have mirrors. Whats the difference between a wrangler with the doors off and a cherokee with the doors off?
Personally I agree, but that doesn't change the law. Other than having to modify the hinges there isn't any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra0101 View Post
Call the local police station and ask.
Better off googleing state and local laws. With thousands of laws on the books police don't always know the law like you'd think. Here in VA you only have to wear a seatbelt and have mirrors and you could go doorless on any vehicle yet I know of quite a few people who have been pulled and ticketed for it and had to fight the cop over it in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
This is sounding like the helmet law NJ created years ago that my dad told me about. They created a law requiring ridrs to wear them but riders from nearby PA hated the law. One smart a** strapped the "skull cap" to his thigh. Was in compliance with the law but not how the law intended it to be worn
That's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
i think its a matter of the area you live in in pa,i have seen a few cherokees driving around with no doors on a regular bais,just like fender flares i have only had one problem in one town with my tires sticking outpast the stock flares,no one else seemed to care except this one cop who would stop me everytime.
And unfortunately all it takes is one with nothing better to do to screw you over.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is online now  
post #24 of 24 Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
rleonard01
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: wilmington
Posts: 8
Put tube doors on it in case you get in an accident the jeep doesn't fold up. Wranglers and cjs the frame is made for running no doors but Cherokees were not designed the same way
rleonard01 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome