Door window canals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Door window canals

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
jdjonesdr

Door window canals

OK, so they're not called canals, but I don't know what they're really called.

I'm referring to the vertical weatherproofing strips/channel that the window slides in when it goes up and down. (I have the small quarter window that opens)

Mine are practically destroyed, so I get the nice "whistling" noise whenever I go over 25 mph.

Would anyone here have any tips on how to change those things out? Also, where I can buy them suckers.

I've restored my entire XJ, but those have me stumped.

DOMINICAN STORM RIDERS JEEP CLUB, SD,RD, Member #1, 1990 Cherokee, 4.2, Autmatic, A/C, Stock.
It's my seventh jeep, had em' all my life, did all my 4 wheelin' on sand dunes.
My jeep loves me.. right?
jdjonesdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

You're referring to the channels inside the divider bar, right? You can just pull them out and press them in except for a screw at the bottom to anchor it; you'll have to take your interior door panel off to get to it. They're nearly impossible to find. TeamCherokee had some, but they were original parts and were priced at like $100 per divider bar seal; I'm not sure if they even have them anymore. I think Morris4x4 has some for the front, but again I'm not sure and can't check right now. Once upon a time I saw some post a link to a company that makes extruded seals very similar-looking for very cheap. I've never gotten around to digging that link back up and measuring the dimensions of the XJ div bar seals to see if they sell anything with the same dimensions.

If you need any other door/glass seals or weatherstripping, both TeamCherokee and Morris have good prices.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
jdjonesdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
You're referring to the channels inside the divider bar, right? You can just pull them out and press them in except for a screw at the bottom to anchor it; you'll have to take your interior door panel off to get to it. They're nearly impossible to find. TeamCherokee had some, but they were original parts and were priced at like $100 per divider bar seal; I'm not sure if they even have them anymore. I think Morris4x4 has some for the front, but again I'm not sure and can't check right now. Once upon a time I saw some post a link to a company that makes extruded seals very similar-looking for very cheap. I've never gotten around to digging that link back up and measuring the dimensions of the XJ div bar seals to see if they sell anything with the same dimensions.

If you need any other door/glass seals or weatherstripping, both TeamCherokee and Morris have good prices.
Whoa!! Back up there!! 100 bucks a pop?? That's impressive, considering that there's not many parts on my little baby that costs anywhere near a hundred bucks.

Are you fairly confident they just pull out once you get the screw out? I guess you just slide them down with the glass in the middle.

I'll see if I can find them on both sites.

Thanks!!
DOMINICAN STORM RIDERS JEEP CLUB, SD,RD, Member #1, 1990 Cherokee, 4.2, Autmatic, A/C, Stock.
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here they are at TeamChero for $110 (http://teamcherokee.com/division-bar...che-1984-1996/) and that's just for one seal--bar not included! They are $40 per seal at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/edge-gl...-55002337.html

Here is a link to a productive discussion on this topic, and that stuff from PerfectFit is linked in there somewhere I believe also. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...ts-xj-1121790/
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
jdjonesdr

Quote:
TeamChero doesn't seem to have them anymore, but they are $40 per seal at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/edge-gl...-55002337.html
I was on the page when you answered. Lordy, but I can't imagine what makes them so expensive!!

I gotta get rid of that whistling, it drives me nuts!

I wonder if I could buy one, and cut it in half? I'm only missing the top 4-5 inches on both sides. maybe i could put a small bead of black silicon down the back of the channel, and see if that holds it.

Anyway, Thanks mschi!!!!!
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
jdjonesdr

Quote:
Here is a link to a productive discussion on this topic, and that stuff from PerfectFit is linked in there somewhere I believe also. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...ts-xj-1121790/
Found the perfectfit link. I just ordered the 6 ft strip for less than 10 bucks.

I'll make that puppy work, guaranteed.

Thanks again for throwing it up!!

Unread 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
grim626
1989 XJ Cherokee 

let us know how it goes when you get it

‎ ._____________
/___/_|___\____\,
[/---\.____./---\]uIIIIIu]
(o)_)=o=)_ (o)_)=o=)_)

[QUOTE=Talos37;14801427](if u can see the top of ur jeep its not tall enough)[/QUOTE]
grim626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
jdjonesdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim626 View Post
Will do!!
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim626
Yes, please do. I was going to try something myself once I finish other projects, but I'd love to have a heads-up, and lots of guys come through here with the same question. It would be great to finally have a good answer for them.
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
jdjonesdr

Quote:
Yes, please do. I was going to try something myself once I finish other projects, but I'd love to have a heads-up, and lots of guys come through here with the same question. It would be great to finally have a good answer for them.
Got ya covered.

Just so you guys know where I'm at:

Here's the page for perfectfit again

http://www.perfectfit.com/15594/1560...ed-Lining.html

I went out and measured the empty channel. Its exactly 1/2 wide and 1/2 deep.

I ordered the AS1369. which is 7/16 wide and 35/64 deep. (a 64th less than 1/2 inch) There's nothing that's wider, so that will have to do. The weatherstrip does have a "clip" on each side that I think will hold it in. In any case, it will get a slim bead of black silicon before it goes in.

No idea how long the channel is on the truck, but the 72 in. length of the strip I bought when it's cut in the middle will give me two 3' pieces. That's got me a tad nervous.

I ordered it this morning, so I should have it in a week or so. It takes a little longer due to me living in the Caribbean.

Once it comes, I'll see if I can slap a couple of pics up when I install it.
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

If 3 ft is too short, leave a little of the original channel seal at the bottom; toward the bottom inside the door the seal is usually in better shape and is less critical for blocking wind noise. Also, if that 64th ends-up being important, consider butyl rope instead of silicone since its semi-solid, thus thicker, and is reusable, so you could conceivably pull the seal I and out without having to redo silicone every time.

Butyl rope is one of those things that, once you have it, you'll find all sorts of uses for it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.