Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 02-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #46
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ive heard of 4 bangers stroked that get about the same HP as a 4.0, but lighter.

Unread 02-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #47
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think 33x10.50 will suit this build nicely.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #48
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Ive heard of 4 bangers stroked that get about the same HP as a 4.0, but lighter.
You know any good articles on them? Most of what I've read says they build horsepower to high in the rpms to be of much use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I think 33x10.50 will suit this build nicely.
33x10.5 KM2's are probably top of my list, that would be the try to keep stock flares route. The other high ranking option is 33x12.5's with Bushwacker flat flares. PhilipJ has one of my favorite builds at the moment and that's the set up he has. Then the other option that's high on the list is a srmitchell style look with some stock moabs on some 265/75's or 235/85's. Lord don't get me started, this is an hourly conversation in my head for the last monht I'm probably 3 months out from tire selection. The BFT At's I'm running now have 70,000 on them and I'll probably get another 10-15,000 before they completely die. I may end up with those again regardless of size just because with the mileage they give, it's double what anything else is.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #49
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I was in the same dilemma, but since I had them on my TJ, I just ordered another set of KM2s in 33x10.50. I like the look and I've always hated how 12.5s handle themselves Offroad. I like the Moab route but its just not where my build is taking me. Plus id rather not have to worry about them chipping.

But this is more me rambling, as I think they are all solid choices haha
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I was in the same dilemma, but since I had them on my TJ, I just ordered another set of KM2s in 33x10.50. I like the look and I've always hated how 12.5s handle themselves Offroad. I like the Moab route but its just not where my build is taking me. Plus id rather not have to worry about them chipping.

But this is more me rambling, as I think they are all solid choices haha
I like the idea of 33x10.5's but it's hard to find pics of XJ's on them to see how they'll look. I've found maybe 3 or 4 pics and that's here and cherokeeforum. Can't wait to see yours mounted, since you are running similar lift height etc as I plan to. You need to link your build thread into your sig!

Just dropped the bumper off at Line-X, will be done mid-week. Going to cost $150 but I think the look and finish is worth it. I'd spend $50 in supplies doing it myself and I'd screw it up.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #51
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I had the 2.5L in my first wrangler. Great motor, plenty of power on the trails. With 4.88 gears you will not be disappointed. Should have thrown a locker in at the time as well though!

What axle is under there.. Please say Dana 44.

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #52
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie View Post
I like the idea of 33x10.5's but it's hard to find pics of XJ's on them to see how they'll look. I've found maybe 3 or 4 pics and that's here and cherokeeforum. Can't wait to see yours mounted, since you are running similar lift height etc as I plan to. You need to link your build thread into your sig!

Just dropped the bumper off at Line-X. Going to cost $150 but I think the look and finish is worth it. I'd spend $50 in supplies doing it myself and I'd screw it up.
I love my 33x12.50.... I do a lot of rocks though so that's why I went with them.

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #53
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go with 235 85r16! Skinny gets it done and looks good on the XJs.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #54
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i like the looks of the ravines and moabs but since you'll be wheeling the steelies make more sense..i love the look of 33x10.50s..buying km2's? or are you shopping around? was just talking to one of my buddys bout him buying 33's.. hes stuck on the goodyear mtr with kevlar.. the 4lcy xjs are hard to come by in my neck of the woods and i wish i could find one in the jy ide snag the axles
Jeepnbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #55
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyDanky View Post
I had the 2.5L in my first wrangler. Great motor, plenty of power on the trails. With 4.88 gears you will not be disappointed. Should have thrown a locker in at the time as well though!

What axle is under there.. Please say Dana 44.
Yeah, I agree on the locker. I will get one in there some point soon, really want an ARB. D44....if I had a D44 in the rear I'd have deeper gears than 4.88's. It's the stock 8.25, but I have a super light foot and I think it will live with 33's till I can upgrade a year or so in the future. I really wish I'd have started this build with an XJ D44 and then grabbed like a G2D44 for up front. But you know what they say about hind sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyDanky View Post
I love my 33x12.50.... I do a lot of rocks though so that's why I went with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
Go with 235 85r16! Skinny gets it done and looks good on the XJs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnbo View Post
i like the looks of the ravines and moabs but since you'll be wheeling the steelies make more sense..i love the look of 33x10.50s..buying km2's? or are you shopping around? was just talking to one of my buddys bout him buying 33's.. hes stuck on the goodyear mtr with kevlar.. the 4lcy xjs are hard to come by in my neck of the woods and i wish i could find one in the jy ide snag the axles
Keep the wheel/tire info and opinions coming. I'm still so up on the air. If spacers didn't scare me a little I'd run JK Moabs in a heart beat, and still may. I love steelies (soft 8's) I've run them on all my other Jeeps. The weight scares me for the 4cyl. In most cases you are talking 5-7 lbs extra per wheel versus mags, right at the hub which makes a difference. Whatever I run it's probably not going to be steelies. I'm pretty sold on either BFG AT's or KM2's. BFG has always been really good to me.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #56
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Just dropped the bumper off at Line-X, will be done mid-week. Going to cost $150 but I think the look and finish is worth it. I'd spend $50 in supplies doing it myself and I'd screw it up.
I will be sure to post lots of pics. Im still waiting on my RC 4.5"lift coils and ill be doing the extra lift,LCA's , KM2s, and fender trim all at once. Got an idea for a clean fender trim, if it goes well I may have to do a writeup.

As mentioned, had the 10.5s on my TJ and loved them, and I think they are PERFECT for the XJ. Had 33x12.50s on my 96XJ and hated them, seemed so hard to maintain a line. They are scheduled to be here on Vday so I hope to have everything done by next weekend. I do sales work for a pest control company and will be setting up a booth in the big annual home show, so if I could get the Jeep together by then it would be great. Ill be hauling my displays with it. Jeep is in the midstage right now and I hate it.

If it looks as cool as I see it in my head, should be sweet. So I say you need 33x10.50s bit ill let you be the judge when mine are on.

Oh and have you considered Powertrax lockers? I believe ill be going with one out back.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #57
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, I agree on the locker. I will get one in there some point soon, really want an ARB. D44....if I had a D44 in the rear I'd have deeper gears than 4.88's. It's the stock 8.25, but I have a super light foot and I think it will live with 33's till I can upgrade a year or so in the future. I really wish I'd have started this build with an XJ D44 and then grabbed like a G2D44 for up front. But you know what they say about hind sight.

Keep the wheel/tire info and opinions coming. I'm still so up on the air. If spacers didn't scare me a little I'd run JK Moabs in a heart beat, and still may. I love steelies (soft 8's) I've run them on all my other Jeeps. The weight scares me for the 4cyl. In most cases you are talking 5-7 lbs extra per wheel versus mags, right at the hub which makes a difference. Whatever I run it's probably not going to be steelies. I'm pretty sold on either BFG AT's or KM2's. BFG has always been really good to me.
I'm not sure how much you run in the mud, but a 4 cyl XJ is going to be pretty light and the 4 cyl isn't going to be able to spin wide tires fast.

The "dream" tire for my XJ would be 34x9.50 swampers - two guys I wheel with have them and they are just plain unstoppable. Both are 2.5 YJs
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #58
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'm not sure how much you run in the mud, but a 4 cyl XJ is going to be pretty light and the 4 cyl isn't going to be able to spin wide tires fast.

The "dream" tire for my XJ would be 34x9.50 swampers - two guys I wheel with have them and they are just plain unstoppable. Both are 2.5 YJs
Tall and skinny FTW. Two buddies i wheel with run 33x10.5s on their XJs with great luck. I would have pics for you but i dont think itd help you much. They are both beat to pieces on 6.5" longarm kits.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #59
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I will be sure to post lots of pics. Im still waiting on my RC 4.5"lift coils and ill be doing the extra lift,LCA's , KM2s, and fender trim all at once. Got an idea for a clean fender trim, if it goes well I may have to do a writeup.

As mentioned, had the 10.5s on my TJ and loved them, and I think they are PERFECT for the XJ. Had 33x12.50s on my 96XJ and hated them, seemed so hard to maintain a line. They are scheduled to be here on Vday so I hope to have everything done by next weekend. I do sales work for a pest control company and will be setting up a booth in the big annual home show, so if I could get the Jeep together by then it would be great. Ill be hauling my displays with it. Jeep is in the midstage right now and I hate it.

If it looks as cool as I see it in my head, should be sweet. So I say you need 33x10.50s bit ill let you be the judge when mine are on.

Oh and have you considered Powertrax lockers? I believe ill be going with one out back.
I don't know much about Powertrax, will check into them.

Quote:

I avoid mud like the plague. When I do encounter it on the trail, I'll find a way through it that involves the least amount of wheel spin or splashing....yeah I said it.

Quote:
Tall and skinny FTW. Two buddies i wheel with run 33x10.5s on their XJs with great luck. I would have pics for you but i dont think itd help you much. They are both beat to pieces on 6.5" longarm kits.
Post 'em up, I'd like to see them, even semi hashed trail rigs, will give a good look at the width and stance.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #60
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Semi-hashed would be an understatement lol. Its the XJ on the far right. For comparison, The white XJ is re3.5 on 31s.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.