Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #31
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie View Post
Painted and sealed with silicone to prevent water from going back in there:
Not to burst your buble, but a lot of times that rust comes from condensation inside the door panel, it just wicks up to the edge.

Going to have to spray some boiled linseed oil in that door to keep it nice

Unread 11-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #32
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleMan View Post
I agree on that. I like the transition of the lines from bumper to undercarriage. Good clean look.

Love the tips for a 4 cyl (maybe I'm biased on that one). Keep it up...I'll keep checking in...

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting it in and mounted. Yeah us 4cyl guys have to stick together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobarb View Post
I like your 2 door! but i'm glad that I don't own a 5 speed anymore. the last one i had i replaced 3 clutches. that was a 4 cylinder too. Cool Jeep!
Thanks, jeezzsshh 3.....so far mines been good to me but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Not to burst your buble, but a lot of times that rust comes from condensation inside the door panel, it just wicks up to the edge.

Going to have to spray some boiled linseed oil in that door to keep it nice
Now that's some good inside info you just don't find in the average post. I may have shot myself in the foot though, I sealed that entire area. Which seemed like a good idea, are you saying I'm trapping the moisture in there now so it's going to rot from the inside?

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #33
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

This shot would look so much better with a foot of snow on the ground.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #34
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Today I got the shaft. Now if the rear springs will ever get here I can get some stuff done.

Also got the socket so I can get these nasty arms blown apart.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #35
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

OME 3.5's are finally in after almost 2 months. Work is crazy with eoy stuff so will probably be sometime in January before I can take a few days and get all this crap installed. Going to try and get the arms and front springs dropped at the powder coaters next week.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #36
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got into some hard core mods yesterday since I was off work. A $5 boat cup holder from Bass Pro, drill, jig saw and some plastic epoxy. I have both designs of the Mopar cup holders and hate them both. Passenger knees hit one, I can't get to the e-brake handle well with the other. Saw this on this forum somewhere and decided to try it. I love it, turned out clean, I think it has almost a factory look.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #37
kyledye25
1996 XJ Cherokee 

^^looks awesome! I may have to try that with mine.
kyledye25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #38
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledye25 View Post
^^looks awesome! I may have to try that with mine.
Thanks. There is a guy in the "Show your interior mods" thread that put 2 of them in there, one in front of the other. I have enough room behind that one to add another which I may do at some point.

Well after 4,000 back and forths I finally made a decision on which arms to run.....sold these to a felow JF member for $100. The Ms' is giving me a small portion of our tax return money.....bye bye short arms, hello long arms!

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #39
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ordered RC Long Arm Upgrade Kit today. Will be here Tuesday.

Got in my Dirt Bound Off-Road Mojave Cut and Fold rear bumper. The cut and fold part that runs down the side won't be here till Tuesday. I'm thinking I may either have it Line-X'd or order the bumper kit from MonstaLiner. I love the bumper, nice welds, strong piece. Can't wait to get it coated and installed.

It has also occured to me I need to get more photos in here besides just groupings of parts laying on the entranceway floor.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Pilfering around under the hood this weekend, noticed my motor mounts looked a bit scuzzy. Ordered some Brown Dog motor mounts, had them on my TJ and they were beef. And while I was at it I ordered a Daystar poly trans mount. Mmmmm all poly mounts...now it will be even more buzzy feeling than it already is

A little something showed up today....

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #41
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Will be following this closely. I think the 4 banger makes this build. I wouldn't see it as a buzzkill, look how many well built TJ's are kicking on 4. Right on, I say!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Will be following this closely. I think the 4 banger makes this build. I wouldn't see it as a buzzkill, look how many well built TJ's are kicking on 4. Right on, I say!
I think you are probably one of the only guys that thinks that. Most days I don't even think that. On the days I realize 33's are about as big as I can go without an axle swap for deeper gears......those days are the buzzkill. Also the days I realize I have over $8,000 in an XJ worth $2,500 But I suppose anyone into Jeeps has the later issue. Basically it's clean, runs good, most everything on it is new and its paid for, so of course I keep pouring money into it. Appreciate the kind words.

Daystay trans-mount showed up today. At some point I'm going to have to break down and install something.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #43
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Now that's some good inside info you just don't find in the average post. I may have shot myself in the foot though, I sealed that entire area. Which seemed like a good idea, are you saying I'm trapping the moisture in there now so it's going to rot from the inside?
There is a good chance. Plus, water gets in past the window wipe/seal, so you want a way for it to get out. But silicone can come off acter it is dried. Im thinking in our semi-rust XJ I am going to do the linseed oil thing, combined with a few small drain holes, just in case.

Crystler is famous for doing this sort of thing, look at any old Dart and the front fenders.
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #44
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think you are probably one of the only guys that thinks that. Most days I don't even think that. On the days I realize 33's are about as big as I can go without an axle swap for deeper gears......those days are the buzzkill. Also the days I realize I have over $8,000 in an XJ worth $2,500 But I suppose anyone into Jeeps has the later issue. Basically it's clean, runs good, most everything on it is new and its paid for, so of course I keep pouring money into it. Appreciate the kind words.

Daystay trans-mount showed up today. At some point I'm going to have to break down and install something.
All valid points. Im just very open to anything outside the cookie cutter mold, and a clean 2 door 4 banger getting built up is a rare occurance. I've drove one in the past, not a bad motor at all for the XJ. I think it just catches flack because of how well suited the 4.0 is to this platform, not so much because its all that weak. Gears will definitely be your friend though!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #45
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
There is a good chance. Plus, water gets in past the window wipe/seal, so you want a way for it to get out. But silicone can come off acter it is dried. Im thinking in our semi-rust XJ I am going to do the linseed oil thing, combined with a few small drain holes, just in case.

Crystler is famous for doing this sort of thing, look at any old Dart and the front fenders.
You were right on with this one. One small spot in the middle has already flaked off so I'm going to have to get back in there and open up some drain holes. It's the only rust spot on the whole Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
All valid points. Im just very open to anything outside the cookie cutter mold, and a clean 2 door 4 banger getting built up is a rare occurance. I've drove one in the past, not a bad motor at all for the XJ. I think it just catches flack because of how well suited the 4.0 is to this platform, not so much because its all that weak. Gears will definitely be your friend though!
I've never looked at is as different or not norm....very interesting...I like that thought process. I did wonder when I ordered my long arm kit if I could be the only 4cyl on long arms , somebody else out there has to have one. True on the gears, 4.88's have been my best mod by far. Unfortunately I did them backwards. I got gears, with the plan of bigger tires. But I've gotten so used to the power they provide with only 31's now I'm obsessing over what size to go to next because I don't want to give any power back. Stay with 31's.....32's, 33's, 33x10.5's, 235/85/16's and the list goes on and on. 33's are my goal but I'm just not sure I want the power zap that's going to be.

My old ZJ build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.