Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Damn dude! That is one nice floor you got there!

Sweet build and I too love the two door 5 speed XJ's. The 4.88's will be great (in my humble opinion) with the 4 banger and 31's. Hell...I want 4.56 gears in my 4.0 WJ with 31's so I wouldn't say they're overkill in your situation.

Unread 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
Damn dude! That is one nice floor you got there!

Sweet build and I too love the two door 5 speed XJ's. The 4.88's will be great (in my humble opinion) with the 4 banger and 31's. Hell...I want 4.56 gears in my 4.0 WJ with 31's so I wouldn't say they're overkill in your situation.
Thanks man. You are spot on with the gears, to many guys don't gear enough and they dont' know what they are missing. I have to say I love my gears, best mod I've ever done to a Jeep. I'd really like to go to 33's but I don't want to give all my new power back, probably end up with 32's for a final size.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Very true...I'd say if you were going to run 33's then do a 4.0/AX-15 swap or something along those lines to get the HP/torque back. When you're working with very little motors every bit that can help is a necessity. One benefit the two door XJ has over most "SUV" type Jeeps is the lack in weight. My WJ weighs 4,350lbs. completely empty and running my steelies and 31's...now compare that to your set up and with 4.88's you're actually further ahead.
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
Very true...I'd say if you were going to run 33's then do a 4.0/AX-15 swap or something along those lines to get the HP/torque back. When you're working with very little motors every bit that can help is a necessity. One benefit the two door XJ has over most "SUV" type Jeeps is the lack in weight. My WJ weighs 4,350lbs. completely empty and running my steelies and 31's...now compare that to your set up and with 4.88's you're actually further ahead.
I know what you mean. I'm actually a huge fan of soft 8's and want to switch to some (these KMC's were on the XJ when I got it) but I'm even obsessing over the increased weight of steelies versus cast. Everyone says even small amounts at the hub can make a larer difference than people realize. I'm probably over thinking it but you are right, weight makes a big difference, you've made me think.....I need to go weigh mine, I estimate I'm somewhere in the 3,300 range but it would be very neat to see where I am. Maybe that needs to be an added build thread objective, to be as light as possible without running a stripped out rig.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

^If you're running any mud holes at all then if you lack hp/torque losing weight is your best chance to increase wheel spin. My WJ in deep, deep mud just turns into a turd. I have just enough wheel spin to fill my tire wells with muck...what you want is enough wheel spin to fling that poop 25' in the air the whole way through the hole. The only time I get awesome wheel spin is when I'm hung up, stuck and there is no traction/resistance. My WJ sucks for mud...needs stroked and bigger tires.

If you're running rocks it won't matter AS MUCH but would still be nice.

EDIT: Funny we were just talking about this yesterday and I went home and got a text from someone asking me if I wanted to trade my WJ for a 99' TJ 2.5l running 33" tires. Hmmmm...stock 4.10 gears but 33's is pushing that for street value I think!
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well been along time since an update, been slammed with work and don't have alot of free time in the summer.

Alot of people ask me about my gears so I figure I'll give an update. 4.88's and 31's on a 4cyl and dang near perfection. I can pull the longest steepest grades and never drop off 70mph without even thinking about shifting gears. About the only time I really start to wonder about them is on the interstate when the speed limit is 70mph. Low 70's puts me at 3,300 rpms and I just don't feel comfortable asking it to spin much faster than that for long periods. I'm already working on a plan to go to 33's, just because I want them not because I want to be higher geared.

So Jeep funds were a little low and this wasn't being ridden much......so this week it got sacraficed for the cause.

Today with that money I ordered:
Rugged Ridge SYE/CV driveshaft combo
3.5" OME Leafs, bushings and u bolts
RE3772 RE Large Super-Flex Joint Control Arm Tool
RE 3/4" LH LOW CARBON ROD END
RE FRONT TRACK BAR BUSHING KIT
RE HARDWARE KIT

All that blew $1,100. I've decided to use the 4.5" kit I purchased several months ago (pictured in post #14). I debated on using it or selling it for months then finally decided to rebuild all the joints and run it. Hence the RE flex joint tool and the parts to rebuild the rack bar.

Thanksgiving holiday weekend should see installs of:
-3.5" rear leafs to level it back out, the AAL (on when I bought it) has sagged more than an inch.
-SYE and drive shaft
-Track bar

Right now the front springs (in it when I got it) appear to be 3-3.5". So right after Christmas I'm going to order all the parts to rebuild the Super Flex arms, swap in the 4.5" front srings and add a 1" boomerang shackle to the rear. That will also involve new shocks and some brake line upgrades. Then some slight trimming and 33's. Still deciding whether or not to keep my current wheels or get new ones. As over used as they are I have a sweet spot in my heart for soft 8's, then the debate in my head over 33x10.5 or 12.5, feel free to chime in.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #22
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

While I'm waiting actual parts to arrive I though I'd wash and wax her this weekend. Also tossed on some yellow headlight film I had laying around. Not sure if I like it, we'll see how well it wears on me. Looks like its possessed or something

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #23
Ibnzmonkey
2002 KJ Liberty 

I like it. I have a spare 4cyl XJ now that I bought my "new to me" 2000 4.0 XJ. I am pondering what to do with it. I may just chop it and turn it into a full tilt truggy.
Ibnzmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

4cyls are great, ive seen monsters built out of them. cool build, ill keep my eye on it.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
glorytown
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get a MPG check for before and after the tire and lift change. I'm interested in how this all plays in to mileage. Great build!!!!!!!
Unread 11-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #26
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey View Post
I like it. I have a spare 4cyl XJ now that I bought my "new to me" 2000 4.0 XJ. I am pondering what to do with it. I may just chop it and turn it into a full tilt truggy.
I see this one possibly going the chop/buggy route but not for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black View Post
4cyls are great, ive seen monsters built out of them. cool build, ill keep my eye on it.
Thanks. I've done several builds but they've all been simple 2"-3" lift and a few sizes larger in tire, they've never been on that next level. This one I'm trying to do all the right mods the first time around gears, SYE, blah blah blah. Although I've already wished I'd started out with axles first, should have slung some 44's under it to get some deeper gears. I would like to run some 35's but with the amount I drive this thing, no way I'm doing that with 4.88's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorytown View Post
Get a MPG check for before and after the tire and lift change. I'm interested in how this all plays in to mileage. Great build!!!!!!!
Thanks, hopefully I can keep throwing parts at it fast enough to keep the thread interesting. I have a little issue with fuel mileage.....With these gears and 31's I'm showing about 10 mph over no matter where I go, also rolling up more miles than I've really driven. On top of that my fuel sending unit is dead and no one seems to make them anymore so I fill up like a nervous nun. Best I can tell on the half butt attempts I've made at calculating it:
With the 4.10's and 31's in a flat state I got 20-21 mpg
With the 4.10's and 31's in a mtn state I got 16 mpg
With the 4.88's and 31's in a flat or a mtn state I get about 17.5 mpg this is with figuring it the normal way and subtracting 10% for good measure. Maybe I need to subtract more? I run between 3,100 and 3,400 rpms at cruising speed and she seems to just purr right along. My theory is 32's would be perfect and help my mileage a little without killing power. I think with 33's I'll get even better mileage but go back to a larger difference in mtn versus flat country because I'm going to be shifting more and speeding up for hills etc. Right now I'm on the fence between 32's and 33's.

Ok so on to parts. I've been gone all week when I got home I did get the joy of going through the boxes:

Old Man Emu u-bolts and bushings. Bad news is there is some sort of nationwide back order and 3.5" OME springs won't be here from Austrailia until like the 10th of December.

SYE is here but in the theme of the week.....drive shaft is delayed. I have a hilarious message from Rubicon Express telling me and I quote "you have a freakishly long drive shaft". Apparently most stock shafts are 28"-29", mines 33" so it had to be specially made, hence it's another week away.

And then the parts to rebuild my used RE track bar. We'll see how long it lasts, I'm already thinking I should have gone IRO double shear or comparable.

I also thought I was going to rebuild the RE 4.5" flex arms but I've almost talked myself out of that. Thinking sell the RE short arms and go with the IRO longarm upgrade. Give me some opinions.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just pulled the trigger on one of these. It's from Dirt Bound Offroad. They are having a black Friday sale and with the coupon code I got from the vendor area it was $469.20 (it's $475, the coupon was 20% off so basically like $95 off and then $89 shipping). There are spots for safety hook holes hidden in the spots right beside the hitch. Also the circles are for a 3.5" light. I know it's not a JCR and I'm a big fan of their new bumpers but I just really felt like the lines were a little cleaner on this one, the flow into the cut and fold is more seamless or something, maybe it's just me.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #28
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing to exciting, got a little project done today that has been on the to-do-list since I got this thing.
Before:

After a wire wheel and prepped with rust converter/inhibitor:

Painted and sealed with silicone to prevent water from going back in there:

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #29
TheMiddleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie View Post
I agree on that. I like the transition of the lines from bumper to undercarriage. Good clean look.

Love the tips for a 4 cyl (maybe I'm biased on that one). Keep it up...I'll keep checking in...

TheMiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #30
roobarb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I like your 2 door! but i'm glad that I don't own a 5 speed anymore. the last one i had i replaced 3 clutches. that was a 4 cylinder too. Cool Jeep!
roobarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.