Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Doogies Build...They make 4cyl XJ's?

So itís that time again, time to start a new build thread on a newly acquired project. This is my 4th Cherokee. I have a thing for 2-door 5 speedsÖ..so much so that I was willing to take a chance on a 2.5, yes I said it, itís a 4cyl. I ainít ashamed. Does it have the power of a 4.0Ö.nope. But Iíve owned several Samuraiís and several 4cyl Toyotas and Nissans and itís about the same as those. Itís got some brand of 3ishĒ lift (springs, shocks and an AAL) and 31ís. It had some gnarly Enduro Adventure MTís or something crazy on it so before I sold the Nissan you see in the pics I swapped the 31Ē BFG ATís from it over to the Jeep and sold the Nissan with the MTís.

Iíll keep a rolling budget and keep things updated as I acquire bits and bobs to go on it.

- $2,800 Original purchase price
- $746 initial repair/maint costs, new belts, hoses, fuel pump, O2 sensor, valve cover gasket, etc
- $140 New fuel tank
- $95 New exhaust from cat back
- $100 Swap over BFGís to the Jeep and the Jeeps old MTís went away on a truck I sold
- $120 RE Gen 2 disconnects
- $775 4.88's
- $700 Gear install
- $160 New front left hub assembly, new front left u-joint, new AC check valve
- $100 New calipers / pads
- $250 Hi-lift and 4.5" RE Lift on C-List
- $85 RE bushing / Rodend / Hardware kit to (track bar rebuild parts)
- $570 Rugged Ridge SYE/CV driveshaft combo
- $30 RE Large Super-Flex Joint Control Arm Tool
- $400 Old Man Emu XJ 3.5" Leaf Spring / U bolt kit / Bushing kit
- $470 Dirtbound Offroad rear bumper
- $500 New calipers, pads, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, flush & fill trans fluid, new oil pres sending unit
- $5 cup holder mod
+ $100 sold the RE arms I got in the C-list kit
- $643 Rough Country long arm upgrade kit
- $85 Brown Dog motor mounts
- $55 Daystar trans mount
- $150 Line-X rear bumper
- $85 Brown Dog poly motor mounts

$8,964 so farÖ.

As it sits at the moment

Immediate to do list:
DONE - Loose the rear sway bar and install the RE disconnects
- ManifoldÖ.this thing is way to loud and thatís where I suspect it is, itís still got an exhaust leak somewhere even with the new exhaust I had put on.
DONE - 4.88ísÖ.Some consider them to steep for 31ís but if I canít live with them Iíll switch to 32ís. The stock - 4:10ís have got to go. So far Iím only about $300 shy of making this a reality so these will be going in, in July sometime.
- Acquire a fullsize spare and decide where to mount it, roof interior or rear bumper. Iím partial to the roof.
- Front bumperÖprobably the Aj's offroad prerunner
- Sliders, probably Aj's or JCR's

Long term plans:
My goal is just a really well built, some might call it smallish, daily driven Cherokee. Sometime in the future might bring and IRO 5.5 LA kit with some 33x10.5ís but for the foreseeable future I donít see me increasing lift size and probably not tire size. Get the gears in, roof rack of some sort, and set it up in more an expedition style than a crawler or trail rig style. Adding in some control arms and more armor as funds allow to make sure itís well protected when Iím on the trail.

Iím actually a little late getting this thing started. When I got it the gas tank was shot, unknown to me, I thought it was just a bad sending unit issue since itís had a 4.0 dash swapped in for the tach etc and the fuel gauge didnít work. So after a new tank and fuel pump for all the rust it had eaten sheís back to running wonderfully. My mechanic and I assume someone left it sitting for some time un driven without much fuel in the tank. Basically everything had disintegrated around the fuel pump. But now thatís itís back up and running and while Iím saving for the 4.88ís Iíll be tackling some cosmetic stuff. Iíve already blown the interior apart and sealed a few leaks up on the fire wall. Used the new Rustoleum undercoating/sound deadener to spray the floors and put everything back together. But overall itís a very clean XJ.

The interior out and the undercoating/sound deadener going in.

Seats at carpet drying in the sun from the pressure washing/scrubbing I gave them. Smells way better in my Jeep now with everything all back together. Between the leak in the firewall and what I considered to be dog vomit in the floor board (hidden under a husky liner mat) it had a funky smell in the cab. Fresh as a daisy now.

REís waiting to go on

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looking really good. I have a 96 4 door auto. Really jealous of the fact you got a 2 door. And that it's stick. Haha. Best of luck. And it sounds like it'll be amazing once your done.

If it breaks it just means upgrade
Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock View Post
Looking really good. I have a 96 4 door auto. Really jealous of the fact you got a 2 door. And that it's stick. Haha. Best of luck. And it sounds like it'll be amazing once your done.
Don't get jealous the 4cyl nullifies the coolness of the 2 door and the manual. I really probably should have waited for a 4.0 but it's clean and the right color so I'm just going to build it.

Just a small update, pulled the tirgger on the 4.88's today. That figure the forum surfers like to throw out of $1,000 for a gear install, $500 for parts and $500 for install, needs to be updated for inflation. Ordered all my stuff from Randy's Ring and Pinion:

Order Summary:
YG C8.25-488 $352.67 (Yukon Gear)
ZG D30R-488R $159.78 (USA Gear 4.88 because Yukon supposedly on a nationwide backorder for 3 months)
YK C8.25-B $116.32 1 $116.32 (install kit)
YK D30-F $147.28 1 $147.28 (install kit)
TOTAL: $776.05

And that's minus the carriers since I have 4:10's I was told I didn't need them. My wallet is on fire. My mechanic says it's going to cost roughly $300 per axle to get them installed. Gears will be here Wednesday, goes in shop on Monday for install.

Also got the QD's on yesterday. Which in true Jeep fashion of adding one thing and needing 3 more to make it work right....I need to pick up an adjustable track bar. Since the axle is atleast 2" out of whack to toward the drivers side making the QD's not the easiest to disconnect on the passenger side. I'd have taken a flex shot but no reason to be impressed by an XJ on 31's flexing on a wall in his driveway.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Everyone must hate 4cyl's, 143 views and 1 comment....

Brown Santa brought me a present today....being installed on Monday. I'm going to have around $1,400 in this install, I'm hoping gears were the right place to drop the first large chunk of change.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Haha. I may sound stupid but why don't you find a junk 4.0 and build it. Drop in in. Boom. 4.0 2 door 5 spped

Unread 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Haha. I may sound stupid but why don't you find a junk 4.0 and build it. Drop in in. Boom. 4.0 2 door 5 spped
You do sound stupid (kidding)

It crossed my mind. But at the end of the day I could sell this one and get one with a 4.0 for very little price difference. For a swap I'd need the computer all the wiring blah blah blah. Properly geared they are good little motors. My last 2-door 5 speed was a 4.0, it had 3.07's and with 31's it was a dog. So either way you are buying gears. This one is super clean, the right color, everything works, it's only got 88,000 on it. I may go up to 33x10.5's but that's as large a tire as I'll ever run on it while I'm driving it daily. I kind of knew what I was getting into when I got it, I figured I'd take a little flack building a 2.5.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It was only q suggestion. How err it is your build. So make it a frigging tank bro. And sorry for the spelling. I'm on the iPod and my fingers are a oil larger for the keys haha.

Unread 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It was only q suggestion. How err it is your build. So make it a frigging tank bro. And sorry for the spelling. I'm on the iPod and my fingers are a oil larger for the keys haha.
And it's not a bad suggestion. Never say never I suppose...maybe when this 4cyl eats it I might try a 4.0 swap. Hopefully though that will be a few years down the road.

So the gears aren't even in yet but I'm already looking at the next purchase. I'm thinking AJ's sliders are about a month away.........

Of coure I've still got to:
Put in new exhaust manifold
Fix vac leak so my ac stops blowing out my defrost
I also think I have a front U-joint going bad that I need to look into

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I like those rims. Overall looks like a sweet build so far
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

4.88's are in! I'd take a picture of after the install but oddly for some reason after spending a wad....it still looks the same.

Trying to keep it under 60mph as recommended during the first 100 miles for the break in. I did run 1 mile between exits and ran it up and kissed 60 just so I could see what the rpms were before backing it back down to the low 50's. Got to make about 5, 15-20 mile trips stopping for 30 minutes or more to allow the gears to cool back down but I've already done 2 of those so that shouldn't be to hard. 60 mph rpms are roughly 2,700ish I think 65 should put me in the 3,000ish range. I'd really like to be able to cruise 70 comfortably but I think at 70 may be pushing it with the 31's. I mean I can get up and pass like crazy but I don't think it will be happy running 70 for miles on end. But I have to say I'm pleased, the little 4cyl feels much stouter. I read where alot of guys say that gears are their favorite mod...and I have to agree.

Don't expect alot of updates for a little bit, I'm now broke for a couple months.
$775 for the gears
$860 for the install
And the high price of the install includes a new front left hub assembly and new u-joint both of which were bad. Also a new check valve for the AC to make it not blow out the defrost vents and those parts were $150.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
b16gsr
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looks great, would have loved to find a 2 door when i was looking.
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

can you take a pic of it on level ground? it seems to have a sag problem but i suspect its just the pictures.

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post
looks great, would have loved to find a 2 door when i was looking.
Its like everything else..you find one once you buy something else. There is a very nice 98 2-door 4.0 on c-list right now in my area for $2,500, I'm dieing to go buy it and swap the axles I just geared into it and sell the 4cyl. But at the end of the day you just have to commit and throw some love into what you've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt_Diver View Post
can you take a pic of it on level ground? it seems to have a sag problem but i suspect its just the pictures.
Yeah it's just the pics. I've been wanting to go do a photo shoot but just haven't, but I did go out and measure the rear rocker right before the tire and the front of the rocker right behind the tire and it measures exactly the same from the ground front and back. I'll get some new pics up soon. I need to get a track bar so I can make my disconnects function properly and take some flex shots.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well if you are like the Mrs' and saw where I said I was done spending money for a little bit you will be like her and point out that I've lied.

Found this on C-list yesterday, Supposed to be an RE 4.5 SF with AAL, yes it needs some, cleaning, painting, greasing. I'd like to use the arms and the track bar, can I do that with only 3.5" of lift currently?

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Boring updates:

Evidently I'm going to have to start changing my own oil, for years I've had it changed at the same quick lube place in town and they do a good job. Seems like lately though there are to many new faces in and out of there. My old Nissan truck they over filled by at least 2 qrts. Ok fine it happens I'll ignore it. Then this week I noticed an oil leak on the XJ only to discover the filter wasn't even hand tight, it was 1/8" from touching the mounting surface. 2 screw ups in a year = no more business with me.

Axle seal is leaking, got some Alloy USA aluminum axle seals on order. I'm hoping they protect the seals as it seems I have to replace a seal after every wheeling trip, silt and water must eat them for breakfast.

Lift pictured above, bought it, then decided to sell it, then decided to keep it again. So I've started shopping for a sye, going back and forth on hack n tap with rebuilt shaft (iro kit) or a regular sye. I think I might do a regular sye, the tapping makes me nervous and still go with a rebuilt shaft.

I have added a pool ball shift knob made by member Phillies4752. These are supposed to be good for 2 hp and .5 mpg's.

My old ZJ build thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.