Doing the Headlight Upgrade on my XJ! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Doing the Headlight Upgrade on my XJ!

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #46
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I know there are a lot of guys running cheap head light harnesses and have no problem, but there are way to many negative reviews on them to make me feel safe at night. The IPF (ARB) harness cost almost as much as some guys total up grade, but to me the price is worth the confidence that my relays are not going to eff up when I'm doing 75 mph down the highway. I'm not bashing anyone's choice just my 2 cents. Even if it takes a few months of saving. I'm a do it once and done type of guy.

XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #47
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122
I know there are a lot of guys running cheap head light harnesses and have no problem, but there are way to many negative reviews on them to make me feel safe at night. The IPF (ARB) harness cost almost as much as some guys total up grade, but to me the price is worth the confidence that my relays are not going to eff up when I'm doing 75 mph down the highway. I'm not bashing anyone's choice just my 2 cents. Even if it takes a few months of saving. I'm a do it once and done type of guy.
For the same reasons your buying the arb one, I'm making my own..
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #48
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
You could just buy name brand relays from the start and still save a pretty decent amount of money.
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #49
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Y'all are going to fast. Did I make a mistake buying the LMC harness?
zaxfire69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #50
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
You'll probably be just fine. Make sure you clean the grounding areas down to bare metal and do a tip-top installation. Mount the relays so the connectors are on the bottom.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #51
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like I made a mistake. As of right now everything is working right. I do need to mount the relays. I have to take out my battery for that. I did plan on doing that. I sanded by hand, but I will now use my Dremel tool to sand the grounds. I didn't even think about that.
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #52
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You're gonna end up with a nice installation.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #53
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If you are running Sealed Beams on an XJ you are missing out on turning Night into Daylight. Lights are so bright. I should have done this years ago!

Theres a reason euro spec XJs were fitted with hella lights and the update models fitted with cibie ones ...

Just a shame they didnt force jeep to fix the wiring as well ..
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #54
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I was referring more to the putco harness. I really have not looked into the LMC harness much. If its working you will probably be fine. I just seem to have bad luck and don't want to have to redo it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
You could just buy name brand relays from the start and still save a pretty decent amount of money.
I will have to look into this.
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #55
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The LMC is working Great for me so far. Very easy to install. Lights are super bright. For me the LMC harness is the way to go. Plug and play and you are done. So far so good!
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #56
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a few months on my Putco harness now without issue. I originally planned to build my own harness but after pricing materials, for me it was gonna cost more than buying the Putco harness ready to go. Ive heard the tales of junk relays, so I planned to just replace them from the start. Figured Id try an experiment though and see how long the originals last. I went out of my way to ensure I got them a good ground, and so far so good. Even if they failed I feel the rest of the harness is quality enough to be worth popping in quality relays and enjoy.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #57
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
The LMC is working Great for me so far. Very easy to install. Lights are super bright. For me the LMC harness is the way to go. Plug and play and you are done. So far so good!
I believe LMC and Putco are the same thing from the same original supplier.

My thoughts on relay failure are this:

People mount the relays with the plugs up, inviting moisture in, and also do not make a good clean ground for the relays causing them to get hot. I have installed 4 or 5 Putcos with absolutely no issues.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #58
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I was referring more to the putco harness. I really have not looked into the LMC harness much. If its working you will probably be fine. I just seem to have bad luck and don't want to have to redo it.

I will have to look into this.
I have the ARB harness in mine, and it has been great for 3 years so far. My buddy had the Putco harness in his. After two months it was crap. I swapped the relays and it worked for another month. I pulled it out when we installed an ARB harness on his and the Putco harness had lots of corrosion on the wire connections. He has had the ARB harness for about a year with no issues.

$89 for a harness is ridiculous, but I just don't have the time to make my own. So far, I have been pleased with it.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #59
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
$89 for a harness is ridiculous
I have not seen it for sale for less than 100 bucks
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #60
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My harness is custom made by me. Its a 4 relay setup. 2 relays per bulb. If 1 relay goes down.. You don't loose ALL your light. :-)

I use the hella ecodes with 90/130w Hellas. In my state 130w bulbs are street legal. :-) They do give tickets for nuisance headlights though. Mine are aimed right though.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.