does anyone regret takin out carpet? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > does anyone regret takin out carpet?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
blue92cherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

does anyone regret takin out carpet?

So i was just wondering if anybody has taken out their carpet and regrets it? not sure about how noise or heat is affected should i go for it

blue92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
bigbike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I took mine out and it was getting really hot so i put the front back in.
bigbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I collect Caprice police cars which are sometimes ordered with "6A3" or the rubber floor option. I find this easy to clean, good looking, and worry free as far as maintenance is concerned. I understand many state-bid XJs were available with the rubber floor option, and I recommend getting one from a yard or something. Nothing like a muddy floor gettin sprayed out with a hose and a generous amount of tire shine applied!
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
So i was just wondering if anybody has taken out their carpet and regrets it? not sure about how noise or heat is affected should i go for it
If you are using the Jeep for daily driving, I would recommend leaving the carpet in. There is a significant increase in heat output as well as noise increase without the carpet/padding to go with it.

If you are using the Jeep for Off-road only, then the carpet is merely in there to collect moisture and dirt.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Why are you wanting to take it out? if it's to fix some rust you could take it out, repair the rust, herculine the floor, then put it back in. at least that's my plan.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
blue92cherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

at first i wanted to take it out just for easy cleaning but then someone poured milk in my window and it stinks nasty so its coming out to get a good hose off this weekend. just trying to decide if i should just leave it out. sounds like i should do like your thinking. herculine then carpet back in. thanks for all the input everyone
blue92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
XJ90
1998 ZJ 

well just my 2 cents, i expected a big difference when i took out my carpet, but i haven't noticed that much. the only big noise difference is because i found a hole in my floorboar; bout the size of a half dollar, that is pretty much right at the end of my muffler(it's dumped at the axle) but heat wise, hasn't been a difference....or maybe that's just cause it's been around 100 now......so i actually use my a/c but i plan on fixing that hole, and bed line the whole inside
XJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i tore mine out because it was soaked with mud and water and it smelt nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, it is a little bit hotter in their especially around the transmission, but its easier to clean, and you can knock out the drain plugs and get some redneck airconditioning.
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I took mine out and bedlined the inside of my jeep. I cut the carpets out so i can put it back in and have it still look nice. So far though the bedliner works fine.
30/44 4.88s Disks all around
Rear Detroit/Open front
littleblackXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
el_magico
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought my XJ from some old lady. She was a smoker so getting the smoke smell out was a chore, but i got it out. Now i find that Jeep used to be the habitat of probably several mice. So now the chore is getting the mice piss and crap smell out.

Well i though i would remedy that by spraying some industrial deodorizer all over the interior before me and some friends took it out for the first time. what did that accomplish? Well, on top of everything else we got stuck in some nasty stagnant muddy water, so now the interior smells like a someone left their muddy bowling shoes in the Jeep for the mice to piss and crap in.

the carpet will be out by saturday, it is beyond repair. LineX is the way to go.
el_magico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_magico View Post
I just bought my XJ from some old lady. She was a smoker so getting the smoke smell out was a chore, but i got it out. Now i find that Jeep used to be the habitat of probably several mice. So now the chore is getting the mice piss and crap smell out.

Well i though i would remedy that by spraying some industrial deodorizer all over the interior before me and some friends took it out for the first time. what did that accomplish? Well, on top of everything else we got stuck in some nasty stagnant muddy water, so now the interior smells like a someone left their muddy bowling shoes in the Jeep for the mice to piss and crap in.

the carpet will be out by saturday, it is beyond repair. LineX is the way to go.
wow. haha. sounds like that jeep has had quite a life!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.