Does anyone own a 4cyl 4x4 cherokee? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 32 Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer
 
SFRautomotive's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Also an I4 4x4'r. Cept my I4 puts out about the same power as the older Renix I6. :-p
Essentially, its a bored and stroked I4. Stroked as far as I could go without the counterweights being to much for the bearings to handle reliably.

About 170hp/195-200ft-lb torque at the crank. (In specs = at wheels power, parasitic drivetrain loss = ick)

what crank did you use for the stroker?


00XJ limited.....Tons, ORI's, Caged
92xj....Linked, Locked, Caged, Armored...RIP
what are leaf springs?
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 32 Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler
 
xjfever's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: north Ga.
Posts: 14,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie View Post
Hmmm, not what I wanted to hear....I drive mine all over the southeast with my job. I'm on the interstate 80% of the time. If it's flat I could cruise at 75ish at 2,900 ish rpms but as soon as the slightest hill came I'd either have to anticipate it and increase my speed or it would be a guaranteed downshift and most of the time it was anyway. Might be time to think about 33's, 33x10.50's were actually my preferred size but I just didn't think the 4 cyl even with 4.88's would handle 33's. As long as I can cruise at 65 that's fine with me. I read a ton and everyone said the jump from 4.10's to 4.56's just wasn't worth the cost. Especially if I ever wanted to go larger than 31's which I do. But I really wanted to wear out the 31's before I upgraded. Sounds like I may have to rethink that.
33's with 4:88 is about perfect. With 35's I can hold 70 pretty easily as long as it is fairly flat and there is no strong head winds. With 32's and 4:88's I never geared down as long as I stayed above 55 mph. With 33's you will turn 3210rpm's at 75 mph, with 32's you will turn 3325 at 75 mph.

  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 PM
doogie
Senior Member
 
doogie's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canton NC
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Also an I4 4x4'r. Cept my I4 puts out about the same power as the older Renix I6. :-p
Essentially, its a bored and stroked I4. Stroked as far as I could go without the counterweights being to much for the bearings to handle reliably.

About 170hp/195-200ft-lb torque at the crank. (In specs = at wheels power, parasitic drivetrain loss = ick)
What's this motor like to live with? I've seen the JP Magazine guys debate a build like this and they are always saying the power would be to high in the rpm range to be useful to the average person. But then again that's on paper and not in the real world.


Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
33's with 4:88 is about perfect. With 35's I can hold 70 pretty easily as long as it is fairly flat and there is no strong head winds. With 32's and 4:88's I never geared down as long as I stayed above 55 mph. With 33's you will turn 3210rpm's at 75 mph, with 32's you will turn 3325 at 75 mph.
Good info man, I appreciate that. Based on that info with 31's and 4.88's I think I could drop into the high 60's and keep it right around 3,000 rpms. And I don't know about yours but mine likes that rpm range, anything +/- 200 rpms of 3,000 rpms is smooth sailing.

Nationalmssociety.org
Current = 1996 XJ, 2.5, 2-Door, 5-Speed, 4.88's, 3.5" Mix-N-Match, Black 15" KMC XD122's, 31" BFG AT's, RE QD's
My current XJ build thread

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler
 
xjfever's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: north Ga.
Posts: 14,216
Yes, I agree 3000 is the optimal rpm for cruising.

  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM
CherokeeBen
Registered User
1984 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Olympia
Posts: 50
You'll be fine with 4.88's and 31s if you keep it to 70. I've been running this setup for over a year with no problems. The jeep pulls hills easier now than it has ever done, even when stock.
CherokeeBen is offline  
post #21 of 32 Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM
doogie
Senior Member
 
doogie's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canton NC
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeBen View Post
You'll be fine with 4.88's and 31s if you keep it to 70. I've been running this setup for over a year with no problems. The jeep pulls hills easier now than it has ever done, even when stock.
Is yours the 2.4 pr the 2.5? I've read the 2.4 revs higher easier. 70 indicated or 70 GPS? Mine reads about 7 mph high now. But I pretty much agree with it being perfection. I got them installed and have been living with them for about 200 ish miles. I just got on the interstate today after breaking them in at slow speeds for the first 150 miles or so. I don't think I could cruise at 70. 70 throws me to 3,300 ish rpms and that seems to be a hair out of the smooth range for the motor. It seems to like 2,800 - 3,100, so looks like 65 is my comfort zone at the moment. Although I have to say I live in the mts of NC and have some serious long steep grades near me, I started up one today and was doing 64 at the bottom and 64 at the top, there was a section for just a little bit where I had to mash it to the floor and dropped to 62 but after it got it's speed back I was able to let off and it just charged ahead. I'm very pleased, now that I've finally done them I see why people say gears are one of the best things you can do for your Jeep. To many people put them off for way to long.

Nationalmssociety.org
Current = 1996 XJ, 2.5, 2-Door, 5-Speed, 4.88's, 3.5" Mix-N-Match, Black 15" KMC XD122's, 31" BFG AT's, RE QD's
My current XJ build thread

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM
dagr8tim
Web Wheeler
 
dagr8tim's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Galloway, Oh
Posts: 3,103
4.0 TB's are a nice little upgrade.

Jeeping - The art of getting dirty & going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it.

97 XJ SE - The War Wagon
98 TJ - Mall Crawler/Light Trail Rig
dagr8tim is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Low98Dime
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N.E.
Posts: 141
I've got a 95 4 cylinder 5speed but its pretty much stock. Takes a while to get up to speed but once it does, its great.
Low98Dime is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
CherokeeBen
Registered User
1984 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Olympia
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie View Post
Is yours the 2.4 pr the 2.5? I've read the 2.4 revs higher easier. 70 indicated or 70 GPS? Mine reads about 7 mph high now. But I pretty much agree with it being perfection. I got them installed and have been living with them for about 200 ish miles. I just got on the interstate today after breaking them in at slow speeds for the first 150 miles or so. I don't think I could cruise at 70. 70 throws me to 3,300 ish rpms and that seems to be a hair out of the smooth range for the motor. It seems to like 2,800 - 3,100, so looks like 65 is my comfort zone at the moment. Although I have to say I live in the mts of NC and have some serious long steep grades near me, I started up one today and was doing 64 at the bottom and 64 at the top, there was a section for just a little bit where I had to mash it to the floor and dropped to 62 but after it got it's speed back I was able to let off and it just charged ahead. I'm very pleased, now that I've finally done them I see why people say gears are one of the best things you can do for your Jeep. To many people put them off for way to long.
I've got the first edition 1984 2.5 liter, with a weber carburator. I also have a 5 speed with a final gear ratio of .76 so that helps a little at higher speeds. I've have also used gps to find out where true 70 is on my speedo. I live in Washington State where we have mountain passes all around us as well. One thing I've learned is that when I am in 5th gear and coming up to a long climb I'll dump it into 4th prematurely to keep the rpms up on the climb. If you wait to shift into 4th once the rpms have dropped it'll be harder to get them back up. Congratulations on the new gears!
CherokeeBen is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Adam
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Clovis,Ca
Posts: 219
i just picked up a 87 xj i4 with 4x4 and a 5 speed i only got it up to 35 when i limped it home and haven taken out on the road yet i still have to replace the radiator but i had the same engine in my yj and it handled everything i asked her to
Adam is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Flyordie
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
what crank did you use for the stroker?
About all I can say on the crank is it was ordered from Melling as a special order. My dad did the major internals. I was just 14yo at the time so I wasn't heavily involved with the big stuff.

I have a slight lull in power around the 45-55mph mark. Soon as I hit 60-65, the engine just takes off. It does 90mph pretty easily. I figure its just because of the stock intake we used. I need to widen up that intake port so it allows the motor to draw in more air easier.
Flyordie is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
muddin92cheroke
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: richfield
Posts: 21
i have a 96 black 2 door 2.5l 5speed with factory 4.10 gears and im proably going up to 4.88 or even lower ratio come fall, cause the 4.10s i have a hard time cruising the highway at 70, half the time in in 3rd gear, but my swampers do have a high rolling resistance

IF MUD AINT FLYING YOU AINT TRYING!!!!!
muddin92cheroke is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Flyordie
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin92cheroke View Post
i have a 96 black 2 door 2.5l 5speed with factory 4.10 gears and im proably going up to 4.88 or even lower ratio come fall, cause the 4.10s i have a hard time cruising the highway at 70, half the time in in 3rd gear, but my swampers do have a high rolling resistance
Wow.. I have no issues holding at 70mph.. or even 80mph for that matter.. 4th gear even. I would check your compression... if its 120 or higher over all 4, then I guess its your tires... but jeeze. ( I am running 200-205psi across all 4 of mine)
Flyordie is offline  
post #29 of 32 Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler
 
xjfever's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: north Ga.
Posts: 14,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Wow.. I have no issues holding at 70mph.. or even 80mph for that matter.. 4th gear even. I would check your compression... if its 120 or higher over all 4, then I guess its your tires... but jeeze. ( I am running 200-205psi across all 4 of mine)
He has 31x11.50 tires and with the 2.5L tire size really affects performance. My 4.0L XJ with 3:55's and 35" tires had a lot more power than my 2.5L TJ with 4:10's and 32" tires.

  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline  
post #30 of 32 Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM
in_motion
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Eastside Indy
Posts: 173
My first Jeep was a 95/2.5/AX-5/231. Great for on road and highway, averaged 19-20 mpg easy. Never modded it as I never had enough cash/was constantly fixing some damn thing or another...

1996 XJ Country, 4.0, aw-4, 2wd :(
Previous rides:
1995 XJ SE, 2.5, ax-5, 231, cancerous unibod...traded^
1995 XJ Country, 4.0, aw-4, 231, babysat for brother...
in_motion is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
99 2wd cherokee 4cyl 5 speed questions 01xjltd XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 2 09-20-2012 08:38 PM
84 4cyl brakes in a 89 abs cherokee fupkid XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 0 11-20-2009 11:05 PM
1986 Jeep Cherokee A904 3-speed automatic 4cyl TwistedEvo8 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 6 09-24-2009 11:28 PM
4cyl? Zorm XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 3 12-14-2008 11:24 AM
85 cherokee 4cyl 2.5 manual. good deal? assang XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 9 03-18-2003 07:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome