Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you let others drive your XJ?

2K views 45 replies 36 participants last post by  slow_motion 
#1 ·
I don't mind letting people drive my XJ. I enjoy it actually. They are always surprised by the handling, power, and off-road ability. One person I would never let drive it unless it was an emergency is my sister though. She is a horrible driver lol.

#4 ·
Lol speaking of this very moment and thread. How ironic. I just went and got the Firestone Lifetime alignment they offer. I went down there, the guy goes out to test drive it around the block before working on it.

Needless to say he didn't have enough fun after one loop around the block and he went for two.... :club: I wasn't happy watching my baby being driven :rofl:

#6 ·
My mom was getting her Durango worked on and took my Jeep to work. She's a very careful driver, plus they really think it's funny when she rolls into work with a jacked up rig haha. But my friends.. Now that's a different story. Not too many get to drive my baby!

#10 ·
Only 3 people have besides me.

Dad- To work when his truck wasn't running
Mom- When it snowed one year
Best friend- When I was too uhhh happy to drive and needed some jack in the box haha

I don't like when people drive it. They don't respect it enough.

#11 ·
Someone was impressed with the power? lmao! Must have been their first ride in a car or something.

Back on topic, I let my GF drive it whenever her xj is broken which seems to happening alot here lately. Unfortunately she was in an accident in it the first time I let her drive it. Now there's a cantaloupe sized dent in my driver's door. She's 21 and that was her first accident and it was one of those "both at fault" deals so I'm not too worried about it.

#13 ·
Someone was impressed with the power? lmao! Must have been their first ride in a car or something.

Back on topic, I let my GF drive it whenever her xj is broken which seems to happening alot here lately. Unfortunately she was in an accident in it the first time I let her drive it. Now there's a cantaloupe sized dent in my driver's door. She's 21 and that was her first accident and it was one of those "both at fault" deals so I'm not too worried about it.
Yeah they are always impressed! More power than their 6 cyl Explorer. My Jeep is quicker off the line than so many other vehicles and it's stock except for the suspension, banks header, magnaflow exhaust, and a tuner chip. Not that I race it or anything but I have had fun with it in the past. Paying for it now, having to rebuild the engine and I've been through 3 sets of spider gears. I used to abuse the heck out of it but I think I've learned my lessons and am a much more modest driver now.

#15 ·
This gave me a laugh, because I used to have death wobble in this rig. I used to DD it still even with the problem, granted it wasn't safe -- though I got by driving below 40-45mph. (Couldn't afford to work toward the cure at the time)

I wouldn't let anyone drive it or test drive it because I didn't want them to go kill themselves. People who aren't familiar or experienced DW really underestimate what can happen.

#17 ·
only a handful of people can drive mine, my dad, my brothers, and ive let a couple girlfriends drive it as well. besides the guys at the alignment shop

#22 ·
I don't like to, just cuz she's mine, but I have let most of my friends cruise from campsite to campsite. I was napping, and they promised to bring me back a Teriyaki burger. Yeah, my love can be purchased.

#23 ·
I let my little brother drive it, but rarely any of my friends. He's the only one that understands that the temperature gauge MEANS something.

#25 ·
they ask i say no except my girlfriend drove it once when it was stock and my friend started rolling away with it when i got out real quick but then i took his car and it was only for 5min. i never let my mom though every time she had it overheated and something broke, last time after got lift on and everything she insisted on a drive up the street so we did come back put it in park and all the anti freeze just shot out.
if need be my dad will and he fills her up which i do love:)

#27 ·
I let my wife drive it the day I got it...She drives a Honda CRV and I wanted her to love her vehicle that much more so she wouldn't "wonder".

I do let my 16yo son drive it, but only if I'm with him.

I've had a few friends ask to drive it on wheeling trips, but all their rides are trail only and mine is a DD so I say no because I don't want to have to fix it.

#28 ·
I have before and it turned out quite bad. I let a kid drive it, with me in it, across campus when I was down at school in SC. The kid thought it was ok to burn out around a turn when it was wet out and slid it into a curb bending my trackbar bracket and breaking the welds. Messed it up pretty good. Offroad, there may be 1 or 2 people I trust enough to drive it. On road there are a few and I will always let someone (not drinking) drive it when I have had 1 too many.

#29 ·
My dad can drive it if he pry's the keys out of my hands, lol. I love her to death and I hate when others drive her. I am worried they will mess something up, and I just don't like to be away from her, lol.

My dad wanted to use the jeep to take our boat to taylorsville lake. I didn't want to go, so he was going to let me use his '05 MB C230. The deal wasn't good enough, I couldn't let him drive away so I ended up sitting in the back to make sure all went well (he wanted to drive because he was taking his GF (at the time) to her dads place down there, and we all went out on the lake)

It his technically his jeep though.. :( I take so good care of her I dont want someone else to ruin chances of her not lasting forever, lol. My dads car is lucky to get the oil changed twice a year (maybe 8000 mi? in between changes), and only because I pester him about it. He pretty much just drives untill something goes wrong, and I always bug him that you have to take care of it and spend the money now on maintinence and it will last longer and not cost as much later. If I get the sense that something is less than perfect I want to replace/fix and upgrade it. I want a new radiator, I want to install an external engine oil cooler, I randomly grease anything greasable, I want to install an SYE because its better (with only 1.5-2" lift), I change the plugs because I get bored, etc.

Plus I am the best driver by far in our family ;).

#30 ·
My dad can drive it if he pry's the keys out of my hands, lol. I love her to death and I hate when others drive her. I am worried they will mess something up, and I just don't like to be away from her, lol.

My dad wanted to use the jeep to take our boat to taylorsville lake. I didn't want to go, so he was going to let me use his '05 MB C230. The deal wasn't good enough, I couldn't let him drive away so I ended up sitting in the back to make sure all went well (he wanted to drive because he was taking his GF (at the time) to her dads place down there, and we all went out on the lake)

It his technically his jeep though.. :( take so good care of her I dont want someone else to ruin chances of her not lasting forever, lol. Plus I am the best driver by far in our family ;).
Lol I can only imagine the reaction coming from you in the backseat if something did happen.

#31 ·
lol... nobody wants to drive mine. My wife actually HATES my XJ... She will never drive it, hell she said she wouldn't even ride in it. My brother is useless and always drunk, so thats out of the question. My parents, they have their own XJ to drive. Friends.... HELL NO

#36 ·
Funny that you mention how your wife hates your XJ. My WIFE shares the same unwavering hatred.

A Close friend to me is the only one I will let drive my XJ. He introduced me to JEEPS and assisted me through the entire build process.

#33 ·
I let my brother drive it whenever he wants (as he is the previous owner). I am trying to get my GF to learn to drive stick but she doesn't like it. I let a few friends drive it occasionally but hate riding in it when someone else is at the wheel.

#34 ·
Haha one of my ex's got the first ticket in it sense i got it, when i let her drive it. She must have been REALLY impressed with the power hahaha.

But basically every time i've ever let someone drive it, something bad has happened, so i've just said **** it and dont let people anymore haha.

#35 ·
Well since it used to be my dad's He can drive it any time he wants. Ive let my brother and a couple friends drive it while on road-trips(switching off) not without incessant nagging from me the way they do it though. besides that, just my mechanic.

I don't trust anyone else to drive it, and my dad and mechanic are the only ones that can drive it without me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.