do you have a locker in your XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > do you have a locker in your XJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Bbasso
1999 XJ Cherokee 

do you have a locker in your XJ?

If you have a locker or two in your XJ I'd like to hear about your personal experiences with it.
I don't want this to be a what's better then, or hear recommendations, Just experiences.

Please state what brand/model with your description including what types of driving.

(I'm shopping for an XJ right now and one of the first things I want to install is a locker for the rear. Might be over-kill for the mild wheeling I'll most likely do... but better safe then sorry.)

Thanks!

I did search, but couldn't find a thread like this... But if there is, please post the link so I could read & learn.

Last edited by Bbasso; 06-22-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My experience: I have a whore of a Lock Right in my Dana 30 that has been in about 5 Jeeps including the one I got now. Only thing I have done is replaced the springs and pins. It locks 99% of the time. That 1% it doesn't lock is at the steering stops, which is a good thing. As for the rear, it will have a Lincoln locker very soon
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Yukon grizzly locker in my D44 and I love it. It's really no different than a Detroit locker except it's cheaper and I have a lifetime warranty with a one year collateral damage coverage as well if the locker breaks. My jeep is my DD and the locker is very well mannered on the street. I know it's there but it's very quiet and predictable. It rarely scrubs the tires. I didn't even want to mess with a lunchbox locker since I've read that they can be noisy and sometimes harsh on the streets. Plus the grizzly replaces the carrier so it strengthens the rear end as well. I recommend it

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

D30 Spartan locker, works well makes a clicking noise in tight turns, probably the most cost effective mod i've ever done
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

Spartan front D30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
D30 Spartan locker, works well makes a clicking noise in tight turns, probably the most cost effective mod i've ever done
Same here. No clicking noise on turns though. Super quiet with the NV242 transfer case in 2WD. Makes a day and night difference in off road performance. By far, the best mod for the money.
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Spartan D30 front - Works good.

Looking for a 27 spline lunch box for my 8.25 now
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sure the spartan d30 is great for the front. But the OP is asking about rear lockers. At least that's what he said in the first post.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Clayton

Richmond Powertrax in a 29sp 8.25. Its a little noisey but is fairly predictable for what it is. I run a 30sp ARB in front also. So far this Richmond has taken a beating. I bought it second hand and its held up well.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
If you have a locker or two in your XJ I'd like to hear about your personal experiences with it.
I don't want this to be a what's better then, or hear recommendations, Just experiences.

Please state what brand/model with your description including what types of driving.

(I'm shopping for an XJ right now and one of the first things I want to install is a locker for the rear. Might be over-kill for the mild wheeling I'll most likely do... but better safe then sorry.)

Thanks!

I did search, but couldn't find a thread like this... But if there is, please post the link so I could read & learn.

Would be nice to know what year XJ you have, plus what axle is in the rear...

I've had a powertrax no-slip in the rear of my XJ for years. I love it for on and offroad driving. Don't let people convince you to put one in the front first.
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
I'm sure the spartan d30 is great for the front. But the OP is asking about rear lockers. At least that's what he said in the first post.
Ok

I had an aussie in the rear of my old 1990 2 Door 5 Speed. It was on 32s. It worked great. I installed it a few weeks after I did the spartan. Definitely worth the price.
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've got an Aussie up front in my HP30 and couldn't be happier. Locks and unlocks when it should, and for being my DD it works great!

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Bbasso
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
But the OP is asking about rear lockers. At least that's what he said in the first post.
not to be a nit-picker, but I was asking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Any stories would great to read!
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a spartan in the rear of my XJ, It's my wifes DD an it gets wheeled hard. It is invisible for the most part but you do hear it ratcheting some times when going around corners. I am a firm believer that the only locker that should go in the front diff has to be select-able.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've got an Aussie in my 8.25 rear. I love it. On the trails, it lets me and my near-stock XJ with street tires hang with the JKs on 35s no problem. If you have money to burn, get a selectable locker. Me? I'm a cheapskate that drives like an old man most of the time, so the auto locker works fine for me. The only time I ever notice it is giving it too much gas during a turn, which chirps the tires, or letting off the gas completely while on the highway. Releasing the torque load on the driveline initiates some slight body roll but when you know it's going to happen, it's not unnerving in the least.
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
doubleg
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Spartan in my 8.25, and an Aussie in the front that I just broke along with everything else in the front diff. Bad pinion bearing + rocks = destruction on the trail. I have the front fixed, but didnt realize the Aussie got chewed up as well, so I just ordered a Spartan for my D30 off Ebay yesterday for $270 and free shipping!! Im on a super tight budget to so I can only do so much.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.