"Do it right or not at all" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 03:21 PM
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

it has come to my attention that 50% of all posts in this thread by people border on cluelessness and show a complete disregard for basic human intelligence

Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej1954 View Post
Eric, I will never read your post again.
Well at least let me help you out with one thing then.

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Eric must own a parts store, or make money on selling lifts. I don't care to lift my Jeep and will not be doing so, but if I did I would never ask Eric for advice. He knows it all and wants everybody to know so. BTW Eric, I will never read your post again.

actually, eric has written an awesome book for building you XJ the RIGHT way, from building a rig on a budget to an all out rock crawling rig. READ that book and you may have a clue about where he is coming from. READ his book and you may not have to ask half the questions people on here are asking

i know that i bought his book before i bought a single mod for my jeep. i built my rig from a 3.5" RE kit up to the rig i have down there in my sig. ive asked many many questions to eric asking his advice. and if you asked me, id say i built my rig the "right" way.

just my opinion on this topic, take it for what you will

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer

post #64 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
backpackern8
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Eric, I agree with you about doing things right the first time. However, I don't think it is fair for you and all of the other guys who already know alot about everything to keep sayin, 'don't post questions, use the search button. I have tried and tried, but whenever I use the search button, it gives me about 2 out of the top 20 returns of useful information. The rest is all garbage that a proper advanced search could filter out, but the advanced search button doesn't work. I'm sure the info most people are looking for is on the site, but do you really expect people to search through pages of search results for hours before giving up and posting? Thank you to you and the others who helped make the XJ FAQ and other stickys, but unfortunately the other sections of the forum don't always have the easy breakdown. Just my .02
post #65 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 09:23 PM
1996jeepxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I will take reasonable advice from a reasonable guy. Eric comes off as a smug know it all, I dispise that type of person.
well when it comes to building and working on cherokees, eric probably does know it all, and i would almost guarantee it didnt come over nite! He probably started out like the rest of us and over the years has learned the hard way what works and what doesent. I own his book and throughout reading it have learned most of what i know about cherokees, not only does it tell you how to build jeeps the safe way, but also on a budget! So please, give him a break, hes just out there to help!
post #66 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
XJ2000

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, those of you, and especially triplej should go back and read Eric's initial post. First off, Eric knows an exceptional amount of informations about XJ's - his knowledge base is extensive and impressive. If he didn't know what he was talking about, he wouldn't be as successful in wheeling as he is.

Secondly, I can't agree with him more on the need for people to focus on safety as much as possible. I have seen too many situations where people don't give any thought for how safe their rig is. Building a rig on a budget, and building a rig on the "cheap" are two very different things. People need to sit down for five minutes and realize that this isn't a "cheap" sport - regardless of how you build your rig. Wheeling in general is not cheap. There are a million ways to build a rig on a tight budget, but safety has to remain the main priority.

Moreover, I'm can't agree more with the fact that people have to search more. Everytime I use the Advanced Search feature, I find what I'm looking for. If you take the time to learn how to search, change the wording, change the phrasing, etc. then you'll find what you're looking for. If you want to see how much lift you need for X tires, look within the first 5 pages of the Cherokee Tech Section - I guarantee you'll find it. Stuff won't always be handed to you, so why ask for it. Do research, it's there.

Eric has also never come off as a self-centered know-it-all. Just because he has experience, has seen it, and wants to help others by giving warning isn't bad.

: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
post #67 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM
LilRedDakota
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackern8 View Post
Thank you to you and the others who helped make the XJ FAQ and other stickys, but unfortunately the other sections of the forum don't always have the easy breakdown. Just my .02
I would tend to agree with that part of the statement. was looking for FAQ on Grand Cherokees to find info for an educated purchase for the wifes DD and could find nothing close to what is available in the XJ section. I didn't know what was in the FAQ until I read several threads that pointed out info was in there. But I found those threads through a search. For those that took offense to the original post, maybe it was a rant, but I felt it stated a very good and important point that needed to be made. I took it as a slam against those that use 6" blocks and threaded rod for a lift apparently people are too sensitive or have too much time on there hands and want to bash others. I am not 25 and I won't attempt to lift my XJ until I can afford to do it right or it's useless to me.
post #68 of 105 Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

there's a jeep that drives around town here and its up probably over 10"s with probably 31s on it. everyone i ride with goes "oh wow thats awesome, brendan do yours like that" within ten seconds im pointing out the lift blocks, the shackle, the stock packs, the D35, stock LCA and UCA, stacked coil spacers and saying HELL NO i would never even drive in the same lane as that

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer

post #69 of 105 Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Gravesdiggerxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Folks, the point Eric and some of these guys who have been around the offroad community for a while are trying to make is that

Any job worth doing is worth doing well.

No, you don't have to spend a lot of money on it (my rig is a good example of this)
but get ready to spend a lot of time and energy:
do your research: read lots of threads on the subject,
write-up a game plan,
join a local club,
meet people
and get to it.

Wheeling is GREAT! but get ready to spend time and money if you want to do it often.

post #70 of 105 Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think I know why these people are having problems with the search feature. When I search for, say "shocks", I get a wealth of information regarding the subject. When they search for "$hoxxx" the only threads they get are the ones made by retards and build their rigs accordingly.

yo peeps i is bildin a jeep sum punx on da forum sez i am dumm 4 usin 8 inch blox i thank tey r h8ers b-cuz my ryde iz so fly all the honeez wantz 2 b up n it i hav lift 12 inch do ineed sye will my gas mlegde suK if i hang boat anker off my bumper 1 my spings brocke so i use 2X4 to prop jeep up 4 X-****ree trip is okayzzz?

-2012 JKUS
-2014 GC Laredo
-2k xj
post #71 of 105 Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
beaucaldwell
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosvt View Post
I think I know why these people are having problems with the search feature. When I search for, say "shocks", I get a wealth of information regarding the subject. When they search for "$hoxxx" the only threads they get are the ones made by retards and build their rigs accordingly.

yo peeps i is bildin a jeep sum punx on da forum sez i am dumm 4 usin 8 inch blox i thank tey r h8ers b-cuz my ryde iz so fly all the honeez wantz 2 b up n it i hav lift 12 inch do ineed sye will my gas mlegde suK if i hang boat anker off my bumper 1 my spings brocke so i use 2X4 to prop jeep up 4 X-****ree trip is okayzzz?
. .
post #72 of 105 Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
91xjgawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosvt View Post

i lol'ed on that one...

blue jeep club member 174

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

1998 zj 5.2- 245/75's moabs
post #73 of 105 Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

O man so your saying I shouldnt put a 4 inch block wiht 2 add-a-aleafs and 3 stacks coil isolators plus a spacer on my jeep? damn man. I was also planning on welding my rear togehter, and probably goign to weld the front while im at it, becasue being able to turn is over rated.

No seriously I agree 110%. Its one thing if you have the skills and equiptment to legitamitly Fab up components, its another to do things ****ty and risk your life, and thos of other people on the road.
post #74 of 105 Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassc612 View Post
Wow, those of you, and especially triplej should go back and read Eric's initial post. First off, Eric knows an exceptional amount of informations about XJ's - his knowledge base is extensive and impressive. If he didn't know what he was talking about, he wouldn't be as successful in wheeling as he is.

Secondly, I can't agree with him more on the need for people to focus on safety as much as possible. I have seen too many situations where people don't give any thought for how safe their rig is. Building a rig on a budget, and building a rig on the "cheap" are two very different things. People need to sit down for five minutes and realize that this isn't a "cheap" sport - regardless of how you build your rig. Wheeling in general is not cheap. There are a million ways to build a rig on a tight budget, but safety has to remain the main priority.

Moreover, I'm can't agree more with the fact that people have to search more. Everytime I use the Advanced Search feature, I find what I'm looking for. If you take the time to learn how to search, change the wording, change the phrasing, etc. then you'll find what you're looking for. If you want to see how much lift you need for X tires, look within the first 5 pages of the Cherokee Tech Section - I guarantee you'll find it. Stuff won't always be handed to you, so why ask for it. Do research, it's there.

Eric has also never come off as a self-centered know-it-all. Just because he has experience, has seen it, and wants to help others by giving warning isn't bad.
I'll say a big +1 to this post. To the guy who says Eric is a self-centered jerk and a know it all, you need to buy the man's book and read it cover to cover before you make any accusations. I did that just after I got my XJ and it gave me lots of insight on how to turn my Jeep into the exact rig I wanted. I didn't need to go as extreme as him or some of the guys in the book, but they all gave me ideas on what I could do or parts I could use. I'd never had a 4x4 before or any experience with solid front axles or leaf springs, so it was definitely a great read and worth the $15 or whatever.

I'll definitely second the point that I've grown very tired of seeing the same threads posted week after week about what tire I can fit on what lift, what gears do I need for what tires, and how can I get a lift kit just like an RE 4.5" for around $300. It makes the tech forum really boring to read when you have to sort through all the same stuff all the time. I used to come on here all the time and try to help people out as much as possible, but it gets old giving out the same information every week. I'm not gonna tell yet another noob that he can't just throw an 8" lift and 35's on his stock cherokee (yes, I know I've posted in at least 5 of these threads, this is not gmfullsize.com).

Like I said before, when I got my jeep, I had NO CLUE about it at all. I've worked on my Mustang for 3 years and I'm an engineer, so I had some vehicle and mechanical experience, but I had never even looked at the suspension, engine or drivetrain of a Jeep. In the last 14 months, I've built my XJ from a basic spring/AAL lift with 32's to what is in my sig now, mostly by searching the forums constantly, finding good information, and asking questions in existing threads, or by PM's. Ask Eric or Jason from Jeepin.com how many times I've PM'd them with questions regarding lift kits, driveline stuff, shocks, and more. I just looked and I've only made 20 threads in over a year, and half of them were just picture or non-tech threads. If you learn how to properly use the search function by changing around words and phrases, you can find pretty much all the info you need.

Wrapping this up, Eric is right saying a bunch of people need to stop and think how safe their cheap and quick mods are on the Jeep. Imagine if you have your family or friends riding with you and something in the steering or suspension breaks. How are you gonna explain that you wanted a cool looking 5" lift but didn't want to spend the money to do it the right way, and someone got hurt? Some of these crucial parts aren't that expensive, so why are you afraid to spend a bit more money to do something properly? If you really don't have the money, just wait it out. You have your whole life ahead of you to have a nice Jeep, it'll come eventually.

And seriously, quit getting butthurt over the fact that someone tells you to be smart before you mod your ride or even post on a forum.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #75 of 105 Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 AM
muskrat358
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Wrapping this up, Eric is right saying a bunch of people need to stop and think how safe their cheap and quick mods are on the Jeep. Imagine if you have your family or friends riding with you and something in the steering or suspension breaks. How are you gonna explain that you wanted a cool looking 5" lift but didn't want to spend the money to do it the right way, and someone got hurt? Some of these crucial parts aren't that expensive, so why are you afraid to spend a bit more money to do something properly? If you really don't have the money, just wait it out. You have your whole life ahead of you to have a nice Jeep, it'll come eventually.

And seriously, quit getting butthurt over the fact that someone tells you to be smart before you mod your ride or even post on a forum.
Good stuff, I dont know if you have children but i do and my #1 Fan that loves to ride in the jeep is my Two year old and I know a lot of the younger jeep fans will not understand(some will), But when you load up the most precious cargo in the world you start to question everything that you have done to your ride. Your rethink every bolt you tightened down to the lug nuts, I am pretty good mechanic and have been playing with big motors and fast cars most of my life, I did not skimp on them and try to fab up some part I did not know how to build, Just make sure you do it right. If you have to save then save if your savvy with a welder and fabricating just make sure your doing right. I saved for three years to build a motor the way i wanted to and my Trans Am was totaled before i could put it in, Thats no reason to go ahead and do it the wrong way. I see it this way now i have a motor for the jeep

To everyone reading this, We can rant and rave all we want if you know your doing the right thing your going to do it right the first time, Kudos to you. But chances are there are other that are reading all of this saying you dont know what your talking about, they find it funny. We can beat a dead horse all day long but he is dead and dont care. I just hope instead of seeing there jeep on the road broken we can see them walking the trail as soon after we can see there broken rig sitting on the trail and like true jeepers either tow em out or help em fix it may then and only then will they do it the right way.

If practice makes perfect an nobody is perfect than why practice:)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.