"Do it right or not at all" - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
bdb12586
2005 WK 

I never heard eric say not to build stuff your self or use jy parts, he said to do it right and safe or not at all. I would say go ahead and do your home brew lift but buy the adj. track bar and center your axle. Spend the $30 dollars and get new u bolts for the rear axle, don't use brake pads from a jy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb12586 View Post
I never heard eric say not to build stuff your self or use jy parts, he said to do it right and safe or not at all. I would say go ahead and do your home brew lift but buy the adj. track bar and center your axle. Spend the $30 dollars and get new u bolts for the rear axle, don't use brake pads from a jy
Thank you.

It seems now everyone that has used a part from the junkyard thinks my post is attacking them.

I've been to the junkyard for parts myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleydic
don't beat around the bush the coil spacer thing was directed at me.
Actually no it wasn't. I have not seen your build. My comments are not directed at anyone in particular. Just something that seems to be very prevalent here.

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think there is anything wrong with using junkyard parts, or piecing together your own combination of lift parts. The origional thought I believe was the posts, saying I have 6" of lift and don't need an SYE, or new control arms, or a new trac-bar. And so on. I recommend using bastard packs often, and personally think that they flex well, and will hold up as good as RE leafs, if done right. But when you see constant post of people using 3" lift blocks and 1.5" shackles with worn out leaf springs, And 3" lift coils with 2" spacers on top. then saying they don't need anything else to go with it. It makes you wonder just what's riding beside you on the road. I will never tell anyone that RE or OME is the only way you can lift. but if you are gonna do the leafs, and coils do yourself a favor and change the other affected parts to work correctly with your lift.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.

post #34 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
aleydic
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hahaha okay . but you got a good point going here and i think this thread is going to be referred to wile posting many threads

jeeps are for exploring the off road

until you change them thats all they will do..
post #35 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
triplej1954
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you don;t want to answer peoples question, don't. But do not question people who ask questions, nor those who answer. Eric If you don't use junk yard parts fine, but I do and I will.
post #36 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
lilacsl2
OhDoyleRules

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej1954 View Post
If you don;t want to answer peoples question, don't. But do not question people who ask questions, nor those who answer. Eric If you don't use junk yard parts fine, but I do and I will.
I would say the biggest problem on these forums, and on all forums I have seen, is the lack of peoples willingness to read, if you click on a thread, read it, read the whole thread before posting, time and time again people read the first post, post their reply and what they are posting has been covered numerous times in the thread.

2013 JK 4-door Sahara in Dune, stock for now
2010 JK 4-door Black, bead locks, 37's, 5.13's, mopar front bumper, warn rear bumper
1998 Cherokee, 33's. 4.56 gears, locked front and rear
2007 Dodge 1500 Laramie, Hemi, 20's, 33's, all the goodies.
post #37 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 06:57 AM
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i complelty agree, i am 18 and in college, i have gone to my parents for some money, and my dad and i both agree, well for an extra 100 or 2, we might as well do it the right way the first time. and to be honest i think it has paid off. my jeep can get me anywhere i want to go, and i can still go on a 2000 mile road trip (winter break trip) and not have to worry, oh yeah and get 18 mpg on the highway at the same time.

I am now working my butt off to get the money back to my parents that i owe them, but its my hobby and something i love to do, my folks can see that and they agree with me on the whole "do it right the first time AND do it safe"

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer

post #38 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

can i fit 35's with a 2 inch body lift???

just kidding! yea i agree, i hate seeing scary hack jobs. half assing stuff is never a good idea. i learned that in my VW days. thats one of the reasons why my build has been taking me so long. i appreciate more of what i do when i save up for the parts i really want/need. patience truly is a virtue i've learned since high school.

"He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion amongst his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it… No, no he wouldn’t have."

MY BUILD THREAD:

My Photography
post #39 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
ShantasticZJ
1998 ZJ 

Soooo Zj coils+spacers, and a bastard pack to go up 2-3" with 30"s is scary? I have seen a LOT of these posts...

-Shann
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaTJgal View Post
LOOK!!! I escaped the kitchen!!!!

HERS: 98 5.2 ZJ Loredo. 249 to 242 Swap. Skyjacker Hydro shocks, Painted Canyons, Bedliner on the rocker panels. Front tow hooks. 2" Budget Boost. 31" SXT a/t.

. De-striped, roof rack, 31" BFG's. Lifted with 3" rusty's coils, s-10 bastard pack, Rancho shocks up front, and F-150 shocks in back.

Theirs: 85 XJ 2dr 5 speed, v6, junkyard build trail rig/project
1986 F-150 The Purple Beast! 300 I6, tow package, granny stick, 3" body lift and 35" wild country's
post #40 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
az357mag
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i agree thats why i havent done a mod in a month im savin to do it right

-Justin- NIGHTCREW #055
"Cherry" 1996 XJ 4.0 i-six, 3" pro comp lift, 31" Bridgestone A/T on TJ alloys, Wilderness roof rack, K&N intake, Poweraid throttle spacer, MSD ignition, Flowmaster exhaust, BAJA lights and KC daylighters

build thread:
post #41 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputtle View Post
Soooo Zj coils+spacers, and a bastard pack to go up 2-3" with 30"s is scary? I have seen a LOT of these posts...
Yet another guy (sorry, girl) that hasn't read the thread.

How can I make this more clear?

I'm talking about the threads that are similar to this:

"I wanna lift my ride 6" but on the cheap. I actually have a very small budget so I gonna do it all from parts I can find at the junkyard. I already have 3" blocks. You think I can fit 35's? What will my gas mileage be liek u think? Also what is a SYE? My buddy said I can just drop down the transfer case. My budget is only $50 so I hope you can help me. Please! I really need to do this!!

Oh yeah one more thing, where can I get a drop pitman arm and what about my axels???"

Of course all punctuation will be omitted and every 4th word misspelled.

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -

post #42 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Motorcharge

All builds must now be approved by Eric prior to posting.
Violators will be banned.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #43 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
ShantasticZJ
1998 ZJ 

Don't kick the newb! Even you were a newb at some point in your life.
I did read the whole thread, sorry if I wasn't able to completely sort it out.
I think it would probably go more like this:
"I wanna lift 6" but on the cheep. I hav no $$$ so wut I can find at the junkyard. I gots 3" blocks. You think I can fit 35's? Wut my gas milage be liek u think Wuts SYE? My buddy said I can jst drop the transfur case. I only got $50 PLZ I RLY need to do this!!

-Shann
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaTJgal View Post
LOOK!!! I escaped the kitchen!!!!

HERS: 98 5.2 ZJ Loredo. 249 to 242 Swap. Skyjacker Hydro shocks, Painted Canyons, Bedliner on the rocker panels. Front tow hooks. 2" Budget Boost. 31" SXT a/t.

. De-striped, roof rack, 31" BFG's. Lifted with 3" rusty's coils, s-10 bastard pack, Rancho shocks up front, and F-150 shocks in back.

Theirs: 85 XJ 2dr 5 speed, v6, junkyard build trail rig/project
1986 F-150 The Purple Beast! 300 I6, tow package, granny stick, 3" body lift and 35" wild country's
post #44 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 PM
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

I know its a repost but I think this link fits in well with this thread. Warning- Some naughty words are written in this link.

Scary steering page.

http://128.83.80.193/scarysteering/index.html

I think this is the kind of thing Eric is referring to.

Finely crafted blocks-

Interesting pinion angle-

'93 Cherokee Sport 4.0 man. 4.5" Black Diamond/ O.M.E., JKS control arms, discos, track bar, rear D44/detroit, 35x12.5 BFGmt's,33x13.5 LTBs,AlloyUSA shafts, oba, Warn M8000 multi-mount
'97 Cherokee Sport 5spd,231, white, stock
'90 Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 auto, 6" homebrew long arm lift, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, etc.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."

Last edited by ChewyXJ; 02-06-2009 at 12:35 PM.
post #45 of 105 Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Eric never said that junkyard parts were bad. And lots of people use them, including myself. The point is that people should research, and learn everything that needs to be done to correctly lift your jeep. There are many people on here running those 6" lifts with stock control arms, stock trac-bars, stock dana 35's with 35" tires, and 2" t-case drops. And I know they say they have no problems, but they are putting unneccesary stress on their drivelines, and they will encounter problems down the road. But when their t-case explodes you will see the "jeeps are junk" thread.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.