"Do it right or not at all" - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

"Do it right or not at all"

I really want to post this in the Tech Section, but sticking with the guidelines I suppose this is where it goes for now.

It just seems like lately more and more people want to have a lifted XJ but don't want to put forth the effort or money to do things the RIGHT way. Instead they half-*** it.

Now I know the economy is bad, most people on these forums are under the age of 25 and many are still in school, don't have money, etc etc. But is that really an excuse to half-*** it by cobbling together a lift out of miscellanius junkyard parts, stacking coil spacers, not wanting to re-gear with huge tires, not wanting to install the SYE, scary track bar relocation methods, and the list goes on...

I like the perspective my friend had when he was building his... Your suspension is a very important system for your vehicle. If you are driving down the highway and something happens to break, the results could be disasterous and even fatal. Why chance it with a $100 difference in price? Or $200? Or even more? Would you take the same risks with your brakes? Or the steering? I'm not saying just because something costs more, that it is always better, but why take a risk over something just to save a few bucks when it would be safer, and easier, and more rewarding to do it the right way?

If you don't have enough money to pay for some of this stuff, how will you afford it when your gas mileage drops from 18 mpg to 13 mpg because you don't want to re-gear? Are you going to be one of the many that post on here complaining about how your ride gets crappy mileage? Or that it drives like crap because of all kinds of stuff not being right, and you might have to buy more stuff to make it right?

How 'bout hold off for a month or two, or six, whatever it takes while you SAVE up some extra money? Work overtime at your job or find a part-time job, mow lawns, whatever. I think you will be much happier in the end if you do it that way rather than rushing into it.

And please people, do some homework first. That doesn't mean get on here and immediately start asking "what size tires can I fit on a 3" lift without trimming?" and the like. SEARCH! Pretty much any question you have as a newbie has been asked 100 times already.

Like the saying goes, "Do it right or don't do it at all".

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Maverick-4-0-XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I agree 100% with everything that "EricsXJ" said!

My back tire isn't flat! It's "aired down" for rock crawling!

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

1998 Moss Green Metallic Jeep XJ, 2-Door, 4.0, AX-15, C8.25.... some mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
It's like being in love with an overweight girl, but dumping her for a hotter girl. Heck yea it seems like an upgrade, but dammit it's just not the same. :D
post #3 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 AM
lilacsl2
OhDoyleRules

2013 JK Wrangler 

If I may add,

There is a ton of info on the faq's/stickies at the top of the tech forum and this one, read through it when you get your cherokee.

Do not just post a thread asking what tire size can I fit on x amount of lift, or what does x tire size on x amount of lift look like, chances are it is covered in the faq/sticky section on the top. If not read more than the top couple threads, dig a couple pages, sometimes stuff drops off the first page, and there is no need to post the same basic thread 5 times just because it dropped off the first page.

This is a great forum, there is a wealth of information to be had here, but please use your head, think before you post.

2013 JK 4-door Sahara in Dune, stock for now
2010 JK 4-door Black, bead locks, 37's, 5.13's, mopar front bumper, warn rear bumper
1998 Cherokee, 33's. 4.56 gears, locked front and rear
2007 Dodge 1500 Laramie, Hemi, 20's, 33's, all the goodies.

post #4 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 AM
1990JEEPXJ

1990 XJ Cherokee 

i agree eric. i speak from experience. im a 21 yr. old college student working part time, maybe only 4-7 days for entire months during the winter, but a ton in the summer. ive owned my XJ for nearly four years. it took me all of those four years to get it where it is now. i had no problem waiting. especially for the suspension. i wanted to do it right. got a quality kit with all of the upgrades possible for it too. i just wouldnt have settled for less on something as important to me as my daily driven XJ. i wheeled it best i could stock, upgraded what i could with money i had, in the manner i wanted first and foremost though.

Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
post #5 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 AM
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good thoughts....
have been able to answer 99% of the questions I havd had so far in this forum. In my mind it is the best online Jeep Cherokee resource I have seen.

I am waiting until I can do it right and can actually decide which is best for my uses and driving style. Sure 6" lift looks kool, but I really would better use a 2" honestly!

spot on

- 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK -

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
post #6 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 AM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

We need to compile a list for the stickies, of what is needed for a given amount of lift. Like what has to be changed for each size lift. I think it would cut down on a lot of the "do I need this" with my lift threads. And I argee completely with doing it right. I have a pieced together lift now, with 32's on stock gears. But I'm not doing anything else till I can afford the 5.5 lift, new gears, upgraded steering, and 35's.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
post #7 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 AM
beaucaldwell
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A sticky like that would be highly beneficial, I'm new to this and try to not post a thread without searching around as much as possible to not cloud the forum with repeat stuff.
post #8 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 AM
bebout

2004 KJ Liberty 

Agreed. I did a thrown together lift on my wrangler and it is coming off to get a rebuild. I took a different approach with the XJ and what a world of difference. I did piece the lift together, but I have everything needed and know it's good quality.
post #9 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 AM
bingolli
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I also agree with what Eric is saying, and that is the only reason for which I havent thrown together my Budget lift. I have the leaf springs sitting there waiting to save up enough money to buy coils, shocks, brakelines, etc. What sense is there in putting your daily driver at risk to save a few bucks. Save up and do s**t the right way.

About the sticky xjfever is talking about, I found this thread the first couple days I joined the forum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/lift-componants-vs-lift-height-suggestions-please-571540/

'93 sport - 32x11.5 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders - 4 inch homebrew lift - Rancho shocks - Safari Snorkel knockoff - KC slimlites - silverstars - Midland CB - K40 CB antenna - rooftop tent
post #10 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Aran
2016 BU Renegade 

I just got into an argument with someone about this the other day.

"But I don't have the MONEY to do a custom job, that's why I just want to grab a cheap kit."

THEN HOW CAN YOU AFFORD A CHEAP KIT?!
post #11 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 AM
4pointOH1998
2016 KL Cherokee 

Agreed 100% with all previous posters. I've seen some downright scary builds lately.

I spent a good year researching as much as possible until I landed on what would work best for my needs. Sure I spent a lot more money than some other kits... but BEST and CHEAPEST do not belong in the same thread with each other.

-Bryan- ΚΔΦ-MΘΣΝΔ
Fighting the rust since April '08...

post #12 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
voodo3184
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to have to disagree with you eric I just did my lift for a total of 115.00 out of a junkyard and the parts i used are just as strong as the kit you would buy for 1200.00 from RE. I have a degree in engineering I will 100 percent guarantee that my lift will not break unless i cut it with a plasma cutter. If you know what your doing your homemade kit is just as good as the ones you buy. Plus all these kits you buy, started buy some guy saying I wish my truck was higher then that guys, and he went home and made his own kit. My father has been doing his own lifts for well over 25 years. If you know what your doing homemade is just as good as store bought and your not getting raped for 1200.00 on a 5.5 lift.

beware if the right wing extremists, you know who you are the self appointed moral compass of jeep forum.

post #13 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
1990JEEPXJ

1990 XJ Cherokee 

doing it right, and spending the most money, arent necessarily the same thing. there are lots of good fab guys that can make parts that the average joe cant, which inherently saves some money without sacrificing safety and quality.

Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.

Last edited by 1990JEEPXJ; 02-05-2009 at 09:46 AM.
post #14 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I agree also. I was goning to half *** it im not going to lie, But i decided to wait and go with a full pack kit and all the add ons

00 xj clayton 3 link and yadda yadda yadda...
post #15 of 105 Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 AM
ShantasticZJ
1998 ZJ 

While I agree to an extent, I also have to say money isn't the issue. Safety is. You don't have to blow $1200, but if you are going to piece something together/make your own, know what you are doing!!!!!

-Shann
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaTJgal View Post
LOOK!!! I escaped the kitchen!!!!

HERS: 98 5.2 ZJ Loredo. 249 to 242 Swap. Skyjacker Hydro shocks, Painted Canyons, Bedliner on the rocker panels. Front tow hooks. 2" Budget Boost. 31" SXT a/t.

. De-striped, roof rack, 31" BFG's. Lifted with 3" rusty's coils, s-10 bastard pack, Rancho shocks up front, and F-150 shocks in back.

Theirs: 85 XJ 2dr 5 speed, v6, junkyard build trail rig/project
1986 F-150 The Purple Beast! 300 I6, tow package, granny stick, 3" body lift and 35" wild country's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.