DIY lift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > DIY lift kit

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #1
xanderjeep

DIY lift kit

So medium experience as a car guy, and curious on lift kit difficulty? Worth trying? Stay away from it? Tools needed?

Thanks

xanderjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #2
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

if you know how to work on cars its simple, getting coils and leafs in can be fun at times just getting things to line up but nothing is too hard IMO. Id say go for it

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #3
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I put my rusty's 3" on by myself with no outside help. I'd like to think i'm fairly good with a wrench but it wasn't that difficult.
I see how a lot of people act on forums and puff their chest and say "it was easy" "anyone can do it", honestly, if you can change brakes and do regular pm on your stuff, you can do it too.
My biggest issue was the front leaf spring bolt weld nut (inside the frame) snapped loose. After cussing alot, I removed the rear seat,measured about 20 times and cut an access in the floor to put a wrench on it. After that, it was all good.
Little tip on the front coils, place the front wheel (one on the side youre not working on) as high as you can get it and drop the side youre working on as far down as it will go. You are basically wanting to flex as much as possible to open up the coil perch area.
For me, I set the coil in place on the top of the perch and used a 6ft prybar to lift the bottom of the coil into the bottom of the perch.

Best part is, if you encounter a problem during install, there are a few around that have been through it also and can help out. Nothing is impossible.
HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:14 PM   #4
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you have a jack, jack stands and a decent socket set and a breaker bar, youre in business. I was affraid but once you get into it, its pretty fun, just make sure you have a buddy t share in the trials! oh and soak EVERY bolt with a mix of 50/50 ATF and acetone

College Student in Genetics, misanthrope, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #5
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Only thing More basic than working on a Jeep lifts in particular is working on motorcycle.. But if you talk to a car guy, you'd think jeep and bike were, like alien technology. I have the same first instruction.. Get a shop manual, follow the instructions.. Lift springs are just springs afterall, you just follow the instructions that involve changing the springs, ect. Ask question here as to what will and wont work.

What do you want your XJ to end up as? Are you going to wheel it? Is the rig for the trail or a DD? What kind of wheeling will you do? Most important when deciding on lift.. Is what size tires do you want to run? The tires determine, a lot about your needs.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:30 PM   #6
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

^Oh yeah good point, 3 inches and under has a lot less parts to address, especially if its on street duty. once youre in the 4 inch range (somewhere i just ventured) you need an adjustable track bar and adjustable LCAs as well as possible leaf shims, non of these are hard to install at all, just a cost consideration. you also have to get pretty creative with your jackstands if their standard sized like mine once it gets that far off the ground haha

- Build Thread -
Unread Today, 10:49 AM   #7
xanderjeep

3-3.5 lift. Really just trails, forest service roads nothing too extreme.
xanderjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:01 AM   #8
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderjeep
3-3.5 lift. Really just trails, forest service roads nothing too extreme.
Oh yeah that's not bad and most kits come with quality enough versions of stuff and good instructions

- Build Thread -

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.