Diesel XJ Expedition Rig Project - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
ONX

1986 XJ Cherokee 

Diesel XJ Expedition Rig Project

Hey guys, been a while since I have been around and I have been up to alot. I joined up with a Mountain Search and Rescue unit and I am now training a air scent search dog. Driving to trainings with a big crate and all my gear every week in my honda was getting old. I have been hunting for something that will stow all my gear and pooch and still get good mileage and I finally found it.

[B]

I snagged this 86 2 door cherokee with the 2.1 Diesel and a 5 speed. Now I know it isn't a power house but I have been getting 28-30mpg on 31's in town so far so who needs speed . So plans for it are to keep it as cheap, simple and light weight as possible. List of mods planned are as follows

BRAKES (they are pretty shot at the moment)

Fix drivers headlight which only works on high beams atm

Glow plugs also need replacing (If anyone has a idea where I can get some that would be great)

As light weight a tube winch bumper as possivle (was thinking OR Fab or maybe someone can recomend a local fab guy who could build something simpler for cheaper?)

8000lb Winch w/ synthetic line

Matching sized spare (rig is running 21's and has the factory spare atm)

Light weight aluminum wheels if I can find some for cheap (once again shedding weight where I can)

3 inch lift (back springs are pretty shot at the moment and it needs new shocks all around)

Removing the rear seat and building in a floor box for a second battery and storage

Swapping in a 97+ XJ center console

Replace passenger door

97+ XJ Front grill swap

Paint

Front and rear lockers

I am currently hunting for parts and a whole cherokee interior I can swap in so pm me if you have anything that would go on the list.

Theres no such thing as overkill.

Originally Posted by urbanassault
And for The sake of humanity, don't pick your nose while driving, if the airbag deploys it will jam your figer up you nose killing you instantly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM
cbenez1
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find.

A nation that forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten

01 Up Country 6.5 long arm
post #3 of 19 Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
ONX

1986 XJ Cherokee 

New shocks for the tailgate ordered and I got a line on some rear leafs, can anyone recommend a good aftermarket mirror with a thermometer and compass?

And for The sake of humanity, don't pick your nose while driving, if the airbag deploys it will jam your figer up you nose killing you instantly!

post #4 of 19 Old 11-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Check out the junkyards for 97-01 cherokee or 94-00 dodge ram . Their alot cheaper and do the same thing as a aftermarket one
post #5 of 19 Old 11-07-2013, 05:50 AM
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

What's the diesel weigh compared to a 4.0?

So many people to thank here's a start to the list
Spidertrax, Yukon, rustys, warn, branik, PSC, advance adapters, Bad wheels, interco, essentially off-road. And many more

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
ONX

1986 XJ Cherokee 

Well its a aluminum 4 cyl so I imagine it would be markedly lighter.

Also can anyone tell me where I can order some new glow plugs or what part number I need? (Is there a difference between the European 2.1 glow plugs and the north American?)

post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't imagine there'd be a difference, it's a European engine.

However you've identified already why this would be my last choice for an expedition rig lol. MPG is great but the engine is not reliable and parts are impossible to find!
post #8 of 19 Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
ONX

1986 XJ Cherokee 

Found glow plugs. I knew going in that parts are scarce but the timing belt has already been replaced and the previous owner really loved and took care of this thing, seriously it felt more like adopting a pet than buying a rig. I know its not everyones cup of tea but its always fine to try something new.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Trombly
2000 XJ Cherokee 

pics of engine bro!
post #10 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 AM
DunmerBoy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is so awesome!

“The mountains are calling and I must go.” ― John Muir
COTM October 2014
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #11 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Battle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Killer find! We need more pictures and videos.

99 XJ Sport - 4.0, AX15, NP231 (Current)
98 XJ Classic - 4.0, AW4, NP231 (Former)
post #12 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
ONX

1986 XJ Cherokee 

3 of the 4 new glow plugs installed, Last one was damaged in shipping (dammit) pulling out the rear seat and seatbelts today to start planning out a rear box. Bought the Truelock and a 3.5 inch lift yesterday as well as a hack and tap sye. Need to figure out why the drivers headlight is only working on high beam.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 01:14 PM
DunmerBoy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONX
3 of the 4 new glow plugs installed, Last one was damaged in shipping (dammit) pulling out the rear seat and seatbelts today to start planning out a rear box. Bought the Truelock and a 3.5 inch lift yesterday as well as a hack and tap sye. Need to figure out why the drivers headlight is only working on high beam.
Do a search, I know for a fact that's come up a few times on here but I can't remember what it means

“The mountains are calling and I must go.” ― John Muir
COTM October 2014
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #14 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
ONX

1986 XJ Cherokee 

Headlight replaced, also started building the box for the rear, pics coming tomorrow. Also anyone know what gears came in the diesels?

post #15 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There should be a tag on the axles that will tell you the gear ratio.
I'm actually interested in this as iv never even seen a diesel xj In person. I have no clue what gear ratio they came with.
Stock xjs mainly come with 3.55, and 4.10 for the 4cyl.
Other ratios where available like 3.33, 4.56... But I personally have never seen anything other than 3.55 and 4.10.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.