Did my mechanic rip me off? ECM/PCM repair. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Did my mechanic rip me off? ECM/PCM repair.

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #31
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

So back to the topic and original question.

Yes, $607 is a fair price considering everything he did BUT like I said they charge by the hour, plus parts (including fluids, pieces, etc.) He also is allowed to mark up the prices on parts...he's running a business, which means rent, electricity, tools, licensing, training, other expenses. The fact that he didn't tighten the battery cables is irrelevant, albeit lame.

You're lucky to have an attorney that only charges $90 an hour. You may be needing him soon if you keep passing out pills for services. I just paid my attorney $700 to fill out some forms and file them with the county. He billed me at $275 an hour. Which is why HE can take his Mercedes to a mechanic just to change the stinkin' wipers. I can't afford $90 an hour...or even $50 an hour, which is why I do all my own work...no need for an Rx. Just sayin'

Unread 07-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #32
Programbo
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DilutedJack View Post
........he needed boner pills because his tesotserone level is so low....
Might be better to take some testosterone then
Programbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #33
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
Might be better to take some testosterone then
Especially since the 2 conditions are not related.....

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #34
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl
Especially since the 2 conditions are not related.....
Well, my condition has a condition.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #35
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
$90 an hour? That's he said in a text to me he made. $90 an hour. I told him that's more than I pay my lawyer and you live in a duplex and just had your electric shut off.

I'm learning more and more he has a substance abuse problem, and that he needed boner pills because his tesotserone level is so low.

90$ an hour is 200k a year. There's no way.
$90 a hour for labor at a auto shop is actually pretty cheap,most independent shops around my area it's $100-$125 a hour and dealers are up over $125 per hour.My shop is $100 per hour and I only get a little over a 1/5th of that.

The tech does not make $90 per hour or what ever the labor rate is.He get's a portion of it($12-$30 is the range) while the rest covers rent,bills(heat electricity,and insurance),shop upkeep(lifts and such),and a small portion of what's left is actual profit for the shop which it must make to stay open.
Unread 07-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #36
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
$90 a hour for labor at a auto shop is actually pretty cheap,most independent shops around my area it's $100-$125 a hour and dealers are up over $125 per hour.My shop is $100 per hour and I only get a little over a 1/5th of that.

The tech does not make $90 per hour or what ever the labor rate is.He get's a portion of it($12-$30 is the range) while the rest covers rent,bills(heat electricity,and insurance),shop upkeep(lifts and such),and a small portion of what's left is actual profit for the shop which it must make to stay open.
I agree.

and what journalist has no idea that there is overhead to run a business?
Unread 07-28-2014, 02:19 AM   #37
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Overhead definitely eats up most of the cost. Like I said it was not a bad price for what all was done.
JeepinInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #38
DilutedJack

Thanks everyone. We worked out a payment plan.

I guess it's a "guy" thing because everybody I take it too, "shade tree mechanics" the bill - they tell me to get out the Vasoline because I've been.....

Yet, it's easy to armchair quarterback.
DilutedJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #39
DilutedJack

The shock came from him the night we towed in, 3pmish, at 5pm he said its "Just one part and something simple" - and I gave him boner pills and and said "Cash in any karma points I have with you!" (concerning the fund raiser, articles, getting him on 102.5 THE BONE) etc etc - He told my land lady "It's very simple, just one part."

I've never had this high of a bill.... usually, I bring the part too him. Like, for my birthday on my 92 - I brought new plugs and wires and fuel filter and oil filter, and he changed the oil - I just threw him $60 and brought a 12-pack. When he replced my water pump in my 99 a few weeks ago, it was $305. Just for it to be $605+ - I was just blown away.
DilutedJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #40
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
The shock came from him the night we towed in, 3pmish, at 5pm he said its "Just one part and something simple" - and I gave him boner pills and and said "Cash in any karma points I have with you!" (concerning the fund raiser, articles, getting him on 102.5 THE BONE) etc etc - He told my land lady "It's very simple, just one part."

I've never had this high of a bill.... usually, I bring the part too him. Like, for my birthday on my 92 - I brought new plugs and wires and fuel filter and oil filter, and he changed the oil - I just threw him $60 and brought a 12-pack. When he replced my water pump in my 99 a few weeks ago, it was $305. Just for it to be $605+ - I was just blown away.
Tracing shorts in wiring harness's is not fun and very time consuming.Don't like the prices do your own work and you will soon realize how a huge pain it is and how much time it takes.
Unread 07-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #41
Iceman12
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My shop charges $95 an hour. I don't own, I manage, used to turn wrenches, moved to making tickets. His $90 and hour is definitely the shop rate, he gets a fraction of that. With that in mind, how do you expect any mechanic to keep his lights on at home if every time you show up u take away any profit the shop makes from parts, short the tech labor money, and offer beer as a pat on the back?? Beer as payment is fine in your buddies garage. At a professional shop, the customer has to actually pay for their car to be worked on sometimes. 90% of my job is customer service, I give discounts, do simple tasks for free, give a crap ton of free advise, even for people who have no intention of becoming a customer. It's all part of the business. But when it gets down to it, when the car is in the shop, and it gets fixed, the tech deserves to get paid for that. His time is his money. He earns what he turns. So if he spent hours tracing wires, sorting out melted messes, and made preventive measures to keep it from happen in again, he should be paid for that. Now if he did not do anything he listed, if he wrote it up pretty and slapped a cps in the car, then you can be mad, and he shouldn't of lasted this long in the business.

Btw, in my shop, I give discounts all day long, but by policy, you bring your own parts, there is no labor discount, and there is no warranty on that job. I'm not picking my tech's pocket cause you don't want to pay a few bucks mark up on your oil filter.

Sorry if I'm a bit blunt, but I've starved, and watched other techs starve due to other shops discounting labor and taking it from the tech's paycheck. As well as multiple free comebacks cause the cheap junk parts the customer brought failed or make noise. I was relieved to find a shop that had been in business for 30 years with the same policies I like. My shop is fair, honest, gets great reviews, and not the cheapest in town. We love our customers, and respect their decision to come to a shop with high standards for a fair price.
Iceman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #42
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman12 View Post
My shop charges $95 an hour. I don't own, I manage, used to turn wrenches, moved to making tickets. His $90 and hour is definitely the shop rate, he gets a fraction of that. With that in mind, how do you expect any mechanic to keep his lights on at home if every time you show up u take away any profit the shop makes from parts, short the tech labor money, and offer beer as a pat on the back?? Beer as payment is fine in your buddies garage. At a professional shop, the customer has to actually pay for their car to be worked on sometimes. 90% of my job is customer service, I give discounts, do simple tasks for free, give a crap ton of free advise, even for people who have no intention of becoming a customer. It's all part of the business. But when it gets down to it, when the car is in the shop, and it gets fixed, the tech deserves to get paid for that. His time is his money. He earns what he turns. So if he spent hours tracing wires, sorting out melted messes, and made preventive measures to keep it from happen in again, he should be paid for that. Now if he did not do anything he listed, if he wrote it up pretty and slapped a cps in the car, then you can be mad, and he shouldn't of lasted this long in the business.

Btw, in my shop, I give discounts all day long, but by policy, you bring your own parts, there is no labor discount, and there is no warranty on that job. I'm not picking my tech's pocket cause you don't want to pay a few bucks mark up on your oil filter.

Sorry if I'm a bit blunt, but I've starved, and watched other techs starve due to other shops discounting labor and taking it from the tech's paycheck. As well as multiple free comebacks cause the cheap junk parts the customer brought failed or make noise. I was relieved to find a shop that had been in business for 30 years with the same policies I like. My shop is fair, honest, gets great reviews, and not the cheapest in town. We love our customers, and respect their decision to come to a shop with high standards for a fair price.
Yep most don't know what it's even like to be a tech.I'm glad we have a strict "no customer supplied parts" rule at my shop,though it does not include tires as long as they are new and less then 10 years old.Heck even us employees can't install our own parts at work,they must be bought through the shop which is not bad at cost plus 10% and labor is onlygreatly discounted.
Unread 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #43
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman12 View Post

Great post Iceman.

Doctors and lawyers practice their profession. Automotive service tech's (and the shop they work for) don't get to practice. If they don't get it right the first time they get to do it for free the second time.

I trouble shoot and repair all of my toys because I enjoy doing it. I take my daily drivers to the dealer because they need to eat too.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , ecm , i6 , mechanic , pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.