Did my mechanic rip me off? ECM/PCM repair. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Did my mechanic rip me off? ECM/PCM repair.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
DilutedJack

Did my mechanic rip me off? ECM/PCM repair.

$450.00 Labor. 9 hours.

Parts? Crankshaft position sensor, Fluid and Cleaner, Wiring: $115

Memo under labor?

CHECK FUEL PRESSURE AND IGNITION SYSTEMS.
SCAN ECM. DIAGNOSE BAD CRANK SENSOR.
LOCATE MELTED WIRING TO CAVITY C-1 OF ECM HARNESS.
CHECK ALL SENSORS RELATED TO THAT CIRCUIT
DISASSEMBLE HARNESS, REPLACE DAMANGED WIRING, REPLACE CKP CENSOR due to INTERNAL SHORT.
CHARGE BATTERY.
ROAD TEST.
CLEAR CODES.
INSTALL FUSEABLE LINK TO PREVENT FUTURE DAMAGE TO ECM.

Total price? $607.77.

This Mechanic owed me a favor. My land lady bought a Jeep, after giving me $2,500 and said FIND ME A GOOD MINI VAN. She's older, heavier. I convinced her into a GP. I exaplined to her GP = Jeep. The straight six. Found one on Craigslist, 113k miles. Great condition. Paid $2,300 for it. 2000 Grand Cherokee with i6 4.0, leather, no bad codes when bought.

Besides owing me a FAVOR for helping them get on TV and Newspaper (His Shop is called "ISLAND AUTO" - because in Florida there's tons of barrier islands. His shop has been there since '72 and now the city is deeming it an "eye sore" - blah blah - because of my past in political organizing and the fact I'm a journalist, I sent out a press release and had the local news there, he was front page of paper, then front page of Local - and I went to City Hall and got them a permit to hold a fund raiser.

PLUS I brought him $100 worth of 'Candy' because he has a little... ahem... problem with blue candy. So I I asked him, "Cash in my Karma Points," and I slipped him the candy, "and here's something for good measure!"

He said it was simple.

Next day - phone call -

It's done. $607.

We got into a fight. He texted me saying BUYING A NEW ONE WOULD BE 700$ ALONE. I told him MOPAR doesn't sell brand new PCMs. There's Refurbished or Reassembled....

He got angrier, told me any other mechanic would of thrown in a USED PCM now, and he saved it's life - and we got a damn good deal and he's pissed I would insult him over this (We actually became friends because I've owned/own 3 Jeeps and he owns 2 him self, and we bonded over talking about i6's because, hey, when you buy a Jeep your mechanic becomes your best friend.)

Just....

Does this add up? Or does anyone find fault?

We're thinking of cancelling check and bringing him $300 cash. I told my land lady this would be "Free or under $200"

DilutedJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
DilutedJack

I just want to say Hi to everyone. My other user name is Diluted yet I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my PW or email so I just made a new account. My name is Jack. Diluted was my old user name. I always come here first. I own a 1992 Cherokee and a 1999 Cherokee. First is Luxury edition. 2nd is Sport. Ironically, the white 92 looks and runs better than my 99 and I've spent more money into the 99 heh.
Unread 07-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
DilutedJack

HA! My landlady just called me and said the Jeep WON'T START and she's stranded at the grocery store.... someone who is a mechanic came out and looked at it and said the battery wasn't clamped tight enough, she's idling now waiting for battery to charge up and then she's headed home.

Aye yi yi
Unread 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Two people who have no true friends regardless of WHAT you think you are to them: Mechanics and pawn shop owners.
SSellers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
DilutedJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSellers View Post
Two people who have no true friends regardless of WHAT you think you are to them: Mechanics and pawn shop owners.
I'd add "Lawyer" also.

Should of made this thread a poll. Dern.

You didn't answer if that was a fair price or not.
Unread 07-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

$50 an hour plus parts is a good deal. Karma or not. My mech. charges $90 an hour (which is why I never go there)
as far as the sticker shock, diagnostics, wiring etc. takes time...which is how they bill. Example: Mechanics charge $400 to $600 labor for a rear seal (a $13 part).

My advice would be to pay the bill and find another mechanic. If you fail to pay it he can lien your Jeep. Then try to learn to do it yourself, it's not rocket science. You can scan the ECU yourself with a cheap (<$100) scanner
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical diagnosis can be really expensive and time consuming. You got a very decent price on the deal however at anywhere from $4-$10 a piece for those little blue candies you got him not to mention the risk on top of the help with saving his shop I think you should of gotten a better deal personally, but all in all not bad for what work was done. Go by with a 6 pack apologize for losing your cool explain to him you thought he was gonna give you the "family" discount not just the buddy deal and save the friendship if you think it's worth it. Just remember it's a jeep you will need a mechanic sooner or later. Oh and on the battery well that's just a simple mistake, easily made when your high on those candies working on somebody else's vehicle.
JeepinInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If the work he did, other than forgetting to tighten the battery connectors, was good, and he is convenient for your future needs, suck it up and make amends.
It sounds like he went above and beyond the call to make sure it was fixed properly...
And yeah, $50/Hr isn't a bad rate...maybe it IS his family rate?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Good possibility and I agree sae. Grab a 6 pack and couple of those little candies he likes and apologize if you plan to use him again in the future which you will want to if you think $50/hr is high
JeepinInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Programbo
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I guess my problem with all this is the "friend" part. How much does he normally charge walk in off the street people per hour? If he charged you the same then I'd have a complaint if I were you. And ALL repair shops use local parts distribution warehouses and get their parts well below retail. It sounds as if he charged you dealer cost for the CPS. Just walking into any auto parts store you can get one for $50 so I am sure he paid $30 for it. Unless he can show you he bought a factory one for $100. So like others have said yes he charged you a fair amount for anybody walking in off the street but going by your relationship he did you no favor.
Programbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Are the blue candies your talkin about boner pills? Or pain/anxiety pills? If their boner pills the mechanics an *******, if they are pain/anxiety pills you are the *** hole
Unread 07-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
DilutedJack

$90 an hour? That's he said in a text to me he made. $90 an hour. I told him that's more than I pay my lawyer and you live in a duplex and just had your electric shut off.

I'm learning more and more he has a substance abuse problem, and that he needed boner pills because his tesotserone level is so low.

90$ an hour is 200k a year. There's no way.
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I thought you were talking about the blue meth from 'breaking bad'
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

You traded prescription drugs for services rendered? Hmmmm.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You posted on a public forum that you illegally provided him medication that was not meant for him (lets hope the guy doesnt have a heart condition or BP problem. If he didnt get them from his doc, there is a reason).

You are irritated that he charged to for the work that included chasing the wiring and replacing melted wiring on top of the CPS. You could have changed the CPS for parts and 15 min.

Oh and you posted this in the XJ forum when its not an XJ, but rather a WJ..

Yup full of fail.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , ecm , i6 , mechanic , pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.