Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Devil liveD: Building S8NNG8

176K views 3K replies 64 participants last post by  S8NNG8 
#1 ·
The first things I did all took place in the first 2 hrs after agreeing to buy it. The worst visual issues:
dirt pounded into the rubber window seals and flares,
rubber trim was either hanging or missing
windows were literally frosted over w/ hard water stains
stock 225's
knicks and scratches in the paint and all the black trim (all black trim didn't really turn my crank either),
And the bee's, it had been sitting all summer and had 7 bee hives inside and out.
At this point, I had changed the tires and painted the grill.

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#2,534 ·
I got this panel installed yesterday along with the 100+' of wire in the harness.
Now I have to do the red tops battery box next in order to complete the dual battery setup. I'll be replacing the main cables to the red top cuz I have to spin the battery 180°.

#2,537 ·
Today I may start the flare removal. I've got rain coming on Monday so I don't wanna leave them off.
The plan is to pull one, rebolt the retainer strips, and reinstall, then the next one. By the time I'm done I'll be able to whip all 4 off at the same time, do the stripe, and not have to worry about the time cost of rebolting them the same day.

#2,538 ·
I'm sure you guessed from the lack of response that the flare removal got halted. I keep getting off task and dumping time and money into all three projects I've got going.
I'm gonna leave the flares for now and focus on getting the axles done first. I'm picking up the ps e-brake cable today. A torx bit to fit the swaybar link studs is on the list too. I'd forgotten that I should take care of that mod while it's not raining in my kitchen. And if the rain persists, the 8.25 will be finding its way inside too. After that, brakes on all 4 is all I have left to acquire.
My only dilemma is drilling out the holes in the spring plates for the 8.25. I have to extend the holes outward only, cuz the spring has to fit between them. This will leave very little, if any, material at the outer edge. Is this a bad idea and/or are there HD plates I can buy to fit the HD u-bolts?

#2,539 ·
Went to get that e-brake cable...well, the box was the right part #. Hopefully tomorrow I can go get the part with the right part #.
I decided not to waste my stock fog light system. I'm gonna run the wires to the back and use it for reverse lights. That way I don't have to figure out how to fit another harness through the firewall.

#2,540 ·
I gave up on removing my flares before I damaged anything. It seems the previous installer melted the mounting strips into the flare, then glued the flare to the fender. So I'm leaving them and will just run the stripe around them. I'll be returning $37.xx worth of hardware to swap out for the bolts to adapt my swaybar mounts.

#2,541 ·
I got this e-brake cable (China), and I'm questioning the nub on the end that goes in the drum brake. From looking at the brakes, it seems there'd be a 90° rivet on the end to hook into the bracket but stay out of the way of moving parts. The cable I got has a fat cylinder nub (like a bicycle brake line, but bigger) on that end.
Anyway, can anybody varify what the stock cable end looks like. I'm hoping I'm just paranoid.

#2,542 ·
I got started this morning by pulling the redtop and locating the power line I routed through the upper radiator support. Now the aux lights all have power without needing the dual battery setup done.
I also made progress on getting the second Ballistic battery box installed. The battery tray studs are being stubborn so they're just gonna stay and be the mounting plan for the box.

#2,545 ·
I got a better idea for the hi-lift. It fit inside, up against the back of the seat. This way its out of the weather and isn't waiting to get stolen. It tucked away so well, I may even forget I put it there. The only thing I had to do to make it fit was remove the base plate.

#2,547 ·
Taking care of the little stuff lately.
-finished painting the trim on the emblems
-got the spring plates drilled out for hd u-bolts
-touch up paint on the d30
-modified swaybar link mounts
-ran fog light wiring to the rear bumper
...still waiting to
-get tre's
-get brakes
-pull the cover on the 8.25
-cut the shock mounts off

#2,549 ·
I found out this morning that my best wrenchin' buddy is leaving Arkansas to come back to Hel. Assuming he stays here this time, I will definitely be making progress on the axles and the stripe/armor projects. Along with being the second set of hands I need for some phases, he's also a wealth of knowledge.

#2,552 ·
Thanks bud, we got progress happening. It's still slow as you know (I been keeping up on your axle install too). Got the bolts painted, hopefully out in the sun they'll be ok to put a wrench on by tomorrow.
Fluids, brakes, and sway link mod left to go before the install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.