Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Devil liveD: Building S8NNG8

176K views 3K replies 64 participants last post by  S8NNG8 
#1 ·
The first things I did all took place in the first 2 hrs after agreeing to buy it. The worst visual issues:
dirt pounded into the rubber window seals and flares,
rubber trim was either hanging or missing
windows were literally frosted over w/ hard water stains
stock 225's
knicks and scratches in the paint and all the black trim (all black trim didn't really turn my crank either),
And the bee's, it had been sitting all summer and had 7 bee hives inside and out.
At this point, I had changed the tires and painted the grill.

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#2,160 ·
I started working on the templates for the project on the front flares. Its really just a blind concept. I didn't even get the chance to go see if its right. But at least I have an idea to work from.
Looking at my towbar today, I could make a serious skid plate to mount on the bottom of its frame. This would also serve as a snowpack barrier for the winch.

#2,165 ·
Well, the cold weather is upon us. Mod season is over unless I can go up and use the old shop still. I would really like to get going on the projects I've had laying around.
The dual battery setup is annoying me cuz I have to go to one buddy to get things altered and parts positioned for welding, then go across town to get those parts welded. I'm definitely gonna start doing the prep for the welding. The friend I have doing it grabs it with his greasy hands and goes at it. No cleaning, no bevels, just big fat boogery worms and spatter stuck all over the place.

#2,166 ·
Somebody mentioned shelf-life the other day regarding some adhesive. Its got me concerned. I bought the roll of vinyl 2yrs ago, and who knows how old it was when they sold it to me. All the more reason to have the armor ready to go on as soon as I get the stripe done.

#2,168 ·
I have at least been wise enough to keep it in the house the whole time, so we'll hope for the best. As much as I paid for it, I'll use spray adhesive on it if I have to. But the goal is to get the 4x8dp by next week and get started on the panels. Once completed, I'll be anxious to get them on. Hopefully it'll motivate me to get the stripe done.

#2,169 ·
Its looking like the bday fund is somewhere around $0. Im going to work on my battery box for the red top. Finishing my projects is just as enjoyable as the moment of purchase. So that'll be my gift. My wife, letting me have the time to do it, will be her gift to me. And I pointed out the poly handle retainer for the hi-lift to my stepson cuz its cheap and available locally.
Anyway, the battery box:
I need to remove the studs that mount the stock battery tray and weld the appropriate nuts on the bottom side of the inner fender.
Set the riser in place and spraypaint through the holes, then drill through the entire riser on those marks. The holes in the top of the riser need cut out to a 1.5".
Set the riser back in place, aligned with the holes. Position the box and spraypaint the holes again to mark the box. Use the marks to cut 2" holes in the floor of the box.
Get the box welded to the riser and paint it. Mount the assembly and then start working on the mounting location for the isolator.

#2,171 ·
Well, I managed to get the handle keeper for the jack. Now all I want is the clevis hook to go on the top and it'll be on to mounting options.
Working on the battery box didn't happen. I had the baby half the day, which was cool. I'm always at work.

#2,173 ·
I'd like to keep it inside, due to wet weather. Its likely to be a ball of ice about the time I need it if its outside.
To put it where I planned, I would have to pull out everything but the speaker box to get to it. But! That could provide some theft prevention too. I'll see how well it fits and take some pics to post tomorrow.

#2,176 ·
Road trip tomorrow! I'm gonna go pick my son up from his school and bring him home for Thanksgiving. He hasn't been home in 4 months, but only gets to stay 5 days. So the road trip will be done on Saturday too.
My son is pretty happy to be coming home, but happier that I'll be picking him up in the XJ instead of the ZJ, so he can show off to all his new friends.

#2,179 ·
At least I don't have the axle swap done yet. I'm only going from 3.07 to 3.55, but I cruise at 65 now for the sake of mpg. After the swap, that'll be 55-60mph. This will pretty much end the road trip ability for my rig due to the distance to get anywhere in MT.

#2,181 ·
My first was an '87 XJ 4dr/2.5/5spd. Cream white with mother of pearl clear coat, tinted windows, and chrome trim and rockers, stock suspension sitting on 295/50/R15's. It looked just like Redjeepsters red/black one only 3" shorter. Rigged it with the same powerhouse stereo I have now. It was pimpin'!
It got firebombed in my driveway. 9yrs invested, and still only midway through the build.

#2,188 ·
I have 2 more days of work and the wife will be returning from maternity leave. We decided not to make use of any daycare since they're all operated by unpredictable humans. Thus we will be aligning schedules to work 7 days a week. Since she makes more, she'll be working more. This all means I'll have more days to work on the Jeep. Not much money to spare for fun so most of what I do will be more of my homebrew custom work.

#2,191 ·
Well, last day of work, then I switch to 4 days Jeep and baby, 3 days work. Perhaps we'll go up the mountain to the shop and see the old man. I'd like to get some projects done through this phase, otherwise it may be a while. Plus that'd keep me from just drearily sitting around the house.
Flares off
Locks off
Emblems off
Headlight bezels and taillights removed
Hatch fixed
Marker lights painted black
Stripe done
Put it back together
Perhaps I can do enough work up there that the old man will buy the sheet of dp I want. Then I can cut and form the armor panels. Then on to coating the panels in whatever unscratchable black I decide on.

#2,192 ·
I've been looking at the hi-lift a lot and wanna finish it up. I hadn't done the dp on the handle yet cuz I'm still trying to find where I stowed my scraps away. As of today, I'm housedad. So I got time to pull this all together. Pics later.

#2,195 ·
I've got plenty to catch up on for now. And nobody can say its cuz of the Jeep. It certainly hasn't gotten any unnecessary attention.
The cold is setting in, before long it'll be below 0° off and on. I have a lot of insulating to do around the house, along with some chores I've taken on.

#2,199 ·
I've done some thinking
Of things I can do
They need to be creative
But have a purpose too

So I need to get a winch
And build a mounting plate
Bolted to the bottom of the towbar
It will double as a skidplate

I'll have to notch the bumper out
To clear space for the winch
A couple of measures, a couple of cuts
That should be a cinch

Trim it all out in diamond plate
It fits the theme, you know
But this ain't happenin' till hell freezes over
So that thought'll have time to grow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.