Devil liveD: Building S8NNG8 - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Devil liveD: Building S8NNG8

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #721
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Obviously not... anyway, I got a second coat of the epoxy on the previously painted parts. It's hard to keep from painting too much, I have six qts. I could easily do the whole Jeep

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #722
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I got an idea the other day lookin' at some 32" MTR's. If I could do a 1" spacer for the front, they'd fit.
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #723
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

All plans are being set aside now. The next thing I need to do is a full rebuild on the front axle...and possibly a locker.
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #724
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I need to get an HP30 already, blah.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #725
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've got the hp30, at least that's one less mod for the future. But the bearings are beat to ****.
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #726
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Truthfully, I've never torn into an axle. I could really use some advice on what most likely needs fixed. The thunk and rattle that occurs, with every bump in the road, makes me wanna drive it off a cliff!
I'm assuming the ball joints need replaced, watched the video, got the tool kit in the shop already. But what else should I replace while I have it opened up? I'm a real "do it once, the best way" kind of guy.
Ball joints: Synergy or Moog?
I think I'll deal with the locker when I'm closer to tax season.
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #727
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you're gonna have it ripped down that far you might wanna consider doing the axle ujoints as well.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #728
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I guess my reputation is soaking into the forum. I can't seem to get much help around here. I appreciate your response DNFJ. I would really like to have some conversations about a variety of options, how to do the job, what not to do, what to make sure I replace during reassembly. I got the coolest shop, every tool I could possibly need, but I have no mechanic and get little help. I guess it's time to bag the forum and go back to the phone book.
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #729
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I guess my reputation is soaking into the forum. I can't seem to get much help around here. I appreciate your response DNFJ. I would really like to have some conversations about a variety of options, how to do the job, what not to do, what to make sure I replace during reassembly. I got the coolest shop, every tool I could possibly need, but I have no mechanic and get little help. I guess it's time to bag the forum and go back to the phone book.
It's ok my build thread has been dead for a month, meh.

Honestly I've never done axle ujoints so beyond linking you a write up on how to do it, I'm basically useless.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #730
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That's what I've felt has been the connection between you and I. Too creative for our own good, and nobody wants to help cuz I didn't paint it to look like an ink spot. I don't wanna look like 15 million other Cherokees, black, on black, on black, and chop the **** out of it.
The look I've gone with has attracted the attention of every 4x4 lover that sees it first hand. My son counts how many faces turn our way every time we drive through town. But the forum is full of "chop it up" junkies.
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #731
Moose12
SRHS 2014

1999 XJ Cherokee 

As to replacing the axle ujoints it is actually pretty easy once you do it once. If u have a shop press then it's even easier. The way I did it was put the yoke on a flat metal surface and put a socket that fits just under the ujoints cap and hold the axle horizontal and hit the shaft around the yoke until you can remove the cap that is popping up. Then flip it over and repeat. To put the new one in pull one cap off and make sure not to lose any needle bearings and pound the ujoint flush with the edge of the yoke. The put the other cap on and flip it over and hit the other side.
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #732
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose12 View Post
As to replacing the axle ujoints it is actually pretty easy once you do it once. If u have a shop press then it's even easier. The way I did it was put the yoke on a flat metal surface and put a socket that fits just under the ujoints cap and hold the axle horizontal and hit the shaft around the yoke until you can remove the cap that is popping up. Then flip it over and repeat. To put the new one in pull one cap off and make sure not to lose any needle bearings and pound the ujoint flush with the edge of the yoke. The put the other cap on and flip it over and hit the other side.
Cool, thank you. I kinda did it that way, but didn't know if I was just damaging something. I did the axle side of my rear drive shaft, but didn't do them all cuz of my doubt.
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #733
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I learned how to do ball joints and axle u-joints from watching videos on YouTube.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #734
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
That's what I've felt has been the connection between you and I. Too creative for our own good, and nobody wants to help cuz I didn't paint it to look like an ink spot. I don't wanna look like 15 million other Cherokees, black, on black, on black, and chop the **** out of it.
The look I've gone with has attracted the attention of every 4x4 lover that sees it first hand. My son counts how many faces turn our way every time we drive through town. But the forum is full of "chop it up" junkies.
VegasGT isn't a chop fanatic, but he also fabs a lot of **** which gets him attention.

I have absolutely no need to fab anything at the moment, nor weld my rear diff. My XJ is being purpose built and since my purpose isn't mud sluts or rock crawling, I'm the minority. I get the same, even at work with 500+ employees at this plant everyone still stops and looks at it even if they see it every day.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #735
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post

VegasGT isn't a chop fanatic, but he also fabs a lot of **** which gets him attention.

I have absolutely no need to fab anything at the moment, nor weld my rear diff. My XJ is being purpose built and since my purpose isn't mud sluts or rock crawling, I'm the minority. I get the same, even at work with 500+ employees at this plant everyone still stops and looks at it even if they see it every day.
I like the look of a clean chop job, i.e. VegasGT. But I've noticed he has accrued some damage from going hard core lately. It's getting harder to find a nice XJ with every passing year, much less a "gold mine model" like mine. I seriously want this rig to last for decades. I truly am hard core... in the snow. That's your playground when you live in one of the few cities that's buried in the mountains on every side. There are rumors in some historical records that the indians had told the explorers, "This is Hell in a valley", thus the name, Helena Valley. And yes, it's pronounced "Hell in a" .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.